Lampwork Etc.

Lampwork Etc. (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/index.php)
-   Free Tutorials (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=77)
-   -   FREE TUTORIAL - Fire Opals (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=169464)

blr2449 2010-07-22 6:58am

Thank you so much for sharing, Amber! If it ever gets cooler out and I can bear being near the torch I'll have to try them. And, do some more Dragon Scales. Such simple processes to produce such stunning beads.

granny 2010-07-22 7:07am

Thank you Amber!!
Can't wait for your HH tutorial!

granny

amazon 2010-07-22 7:28am

Thank you!

I can't wait to try this tomorrow night but I have a question about the foil. How do you cut it? When I try, it just keeps trying to float around the table. I'm wondering if I need to use a papercutter and do the whole book at once.

glasshobbit 2010-07-22 7:31am

Thank you Amber I will try it tonight and see if I can get other than yucky stuff from my Ekho

blr2449 2010-07-22 7:35am

Quote:

Originally Posted by *Naos* (Post 3129930)
P.S. How can I charge for such a short and sweet tut? LOL I do plan on writing a tut this year with tips and tricks for HotHead users... just finding the time to do it AND make beads is the hard part.

What you *could* do is write up your tutorials and publish/charge for a book or booklet. I would bet you'd get a lot of takers.

mnoelker 2010-07-22 7:42am

Amber-I am so glad to cyber-know you. You are a class act, so generous with your wealth of knowledge. Thank you!

blong2001 2010-07-22 7:52am

Thank you! These are beautiful. I can't wait to try them!

lldesigns 2010-07-22 8:16am

I love your fire opals!!! This is so generous of you Amber - thank you! I can't wait to try this as soon as I can tolerate the heat in my 'studio.' It's supposed to cool down a little so I'll be on the torch as soon as I can.

*Naos* 2010-07-22 8:30am

Quote:

Originally Posted by amazon (Post 3130250)
Thank you!

I can't wait to try this tomorrow night but I have a question about the foil. How do you cut it? When I try, it just keeps trying to float around the table. I'm wondering if I need to use a papercutter and do the whole book at once.

Karen....hmmm.... Silver foil shouldn't be floaty - that seems like silver LEAF to me. With silver foil, it's thick enough that I can pick up a sheet with my hands and tear it into pieces, or I can take scissors and cut it up. I can't do that with leaf - leaf sticks to you, to every surface, can't even imagine cutting it...

rkoza 2010-07-22 9:24am

Thanks so much for your generosity Amber!! Like Deanne, my birthstone is Opal so I'm really looking forward to trying this.

PattyK 2010-07-22 10:06am

Amber - thank you so much!

I've been loving these beads! :)

Teena 2010-07-22 10:33am

Amber, thank you so much for this free tutorial!!! Much happiness coming to you!!

theglasszone 2010-07-22 10:47am

Drats!!! Just checked my stash and NO "Ekho" nor "Clio" :( I do have some Aion 2...any idea what happens with this color? I'm gonna try it anyway and see what happens. They will probably be light on the color side, but hoping to have SOME sort of cool reaction!

Who's tried this Tutorial so far? Anyone starting up a Gallery "Show Your Results of Amber's Fire Opal Tutorial" Thread yet? I can't wait to see 'em come flowing in... :)

gemsinbloom 2010-07-22 12:32pm

Love this, thank you!

Calypso 2010-07-22 12:43pm

Great tut!! Thank you for sharing!!!

merigypsy 2010-07-22 12:56pm

Thanks so very much!

Libby L. 2010-07-22 1:37pm

Very nice. What a nice thing to do.

selma_belma 2010-07-22 1:59pm

Thanks so much for sharing this! What a sweet and generous thing to do. I can't wait to try it!!

ukiacat 2010-07-22 2:00pm

:koolaid::koolaid::koolaid:

Thank you Amber!

Elisenda 2010-07-22 2:51pm

Wow, those are some spectacular beads! Thanks for sharing with us.

Now, I just need to buy some more fun glass, like double helix. :)

hooked on glass 2010-07-22 3:16pm

thank you Amber for sharing,it is greatly appreciated. Your beads are beautiful!
Barbara

lampworker1 2010-07-22 3:52pm

thanks

amazon 2010-07-22 4:03pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by *Naos* (Post 3130341)
Karen....hmmm.... Silver foil shouldn't be floaty - that seems like silver LEAF to me. With silver foil, it's thick enough that I can pick up a sheet with my hands and tear it into pieces, or I can take scissors and cut it up. I can't do that with leaf - leaf sticks to you, to every surface, can't even imagine cutting it...

You're right it does sound like I have leaf, not foil. Crud, the place I bought it from told me it was foil and I'm too stupid to know any different.

I'm going to try it anyway-the worst that can happen is I'll ruin the "leaffoil" that I don't use anyway.

Thanks again!

imagesinglass 2010-07-22 4:54pm

Cutting silver leaf

You can still use the leaf....and cut it...I put the leaf between 2 pieces of paper and cut it. Then I carefully let it slide onto my marver from between the paper. I usually cut up as many strips as I'm going to need and then only slide one onto my marver at a time so the others don't blow away...
And if you put 2 or 3 strips of leaf one on top of the other and roll them onto your bead all at once it's almost like foil...
Hope this helps.

Suzanne

FyreFiend 2010-07-22 6:30pm

Amber, these beads are stunning! Thank you so much for sharing this.

what would happen if you made this bead, but encase a sliver of brass mesh in the encasing layer?
:pout: I wish that I have some torch time. I would try this. :pout:

amazon 2010-07-22 6:37pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by imagesinglass (Post 3131134)
You can still use the leaf....and cut it...I put the leaf between 2 pieces of paper and cut it. Then I carefully let it slide onto my marver from between the paper. I usually cut up as many strips as I'm going to need and then only slide one onto my marver at a time so the others don't blow away...
And if you put 2 or 3 strips of leaf one on top of the other and roll them onto your bead all at once it's almost like foil...
Hope this helps.

Suzanne

Thanks Suzanne, it does help. I wondered if using more than one sheet would work. I think I'm going to take the whole book to work with me tomorrow and try to cut it all at once with the paper cutter. God knows I can't try to cut in my studio without it flying all over the place!

Donna T. 2010-07-22 6:48pm

Thank you so much for sharing this tutorial. I've admired your beads for some time and would never have imagined how to do it. Hopefully I can get some torch time this weekend and give it a try. :)

beadsofpassion 2010-07-22 6:50pm

Wow, Amber! You are too cool, girl. Thanks so much for sharing!

Tsaiyi 2010-07-22 7:41pm

Amber, thank you for posting this tutorial. For a long time now, I have been wondering if I need to buy gold leaf to make a bead like that. I am so happy to learn that the gold color is resulted from the reaction from Ekho and/or other silver glass. I have one in the kiln now. Thank you so much for sharing this technique.

Grace Hobbs

Pat 2010-07-22 8:19pm

Amazon. If you put a dot of water then the silver it won't fly all over.
I spent the afternoon making these and variations of and had a blast.