Lampwork Etc.

Lampwork Etc. (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/index.php)
-   Tips, Techniques, and Questions (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Paypal Purchase might be scam? (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=271428)

SoulMastaDef 2014-10-25 11:30am

Paypal Purchase might be scam?

Im about to purchase a Homefill setup but have never ordered anything from someone through paypal. iv only ordered things off websites. the seller is telling me to click "send money to family and friends". im just wondering if thats usally how paypal buisness is done? i thought i would receive an invoice or whatever. explaining what i am purchasing... if anyone has any experience on this and could let me know thad be great! Thanks

KJohn 2014-10-25 11:36am

Using paypal that way avoids the fees that are charged on invoices by Paypal. I'm not sure you have Paypal's protection without an invoice and payment through them for that item. Just a generic send money probably won't be covered.

SoulMastaDef 2014-10-25 11:40am

ohh okay thanks for the quick reply Kjohn. So if i want to be protected i should go through an invoice..?

jeepinwelch 2014-10-25 11:50am

You have 0 protection if you pay that way.

echeveria 2014-10-25 12:02pm

And you pay the fees, not the recipient.

Alaska 2014-10-25 2:38pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by SoulMastaDef (Post 4667586)
"send money to family and friends"

"Lets say, you're using the Send Money feature to purchase an item from your friend (the seller). Yes, you could do that but, there's no seller or buyer protection. This is how people get scammed because not so honest sellers tell the buyers to simply use the Send Money feature. The buyer does that, the seller keeps the money and the buyer does not receive what they paid for. The buyer tries to open a dispute but, has no documentation to back it up. Scammer wins."

squid 2014-10-25 2:42pm

Yeah, I would never purchase from a business that way - EVER.

toothpayne 2014-10-25 5:22pm

The HomeFill systems can be expensive to repair if you buy from a disreputable source. I see red flags all over this one. Good Luck.

nevadaglass 2014-10-27 7:15am

If you provide them your email, they can send an invoice and then you can pay from the invoice - there should be a link that gets associated to the invoice. Without the documentation, you'll have no way to dispute if things aren't what they seem - DON'T do it - make them provide an invoice!!! If they are legit, they won't bawk.

BUT..........

if you are sending money out randomly to paypal accounts just based on say so - my email is dsullivan@nevadaglassworks.com /wink!!!
:hide: :fnwl:

shawnette 2014-10-27 8:19am

I frequently have people send me $$ using the friends & family option, however, I always give the option of an invoice, buyer pays fees.

Personally wouldn't send to someone I didn't know without several personal vouchers from people I know & trust. If it feels shady, it probably is.