Lampwork Etc.

Lampwork Etc. (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boro Room (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=54)
-   -   Unknown color help? (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=286318)

Eileen 2016-03-21 1:04pm

Unknown color help?

I bought some boro įshorts a good while back. None of them were labeled, so I melted the end to see if all of the dark ones were actually black or not. I have one rod that was a dark bluish color but when I melted it I got some iridescent shine on the rods in the vicinity of where I melted, but the melted part went light. I don't know what it is so I can't look it up, but does anyone have any idea what it is or else what I can do with it to make it do something. I tried reduction, I tried Heating and Cooling, and I am not doing something right I guess.
PS sorry for the speech to text errors!

Eileen 2016-03-21 1:05pm

1 Attachment(s)
Trying again

Three Muses Glass 2016-03-21 1:52pm

My guess is Northstar Blue Caramel.

Eileen 2016-03-21 1:54pm

Thank you, off to look it up.

Three Muses Glass 2016-03-21 2:02pm

You're welcome Eileen. If that's what it is, it's not one of my favorites. I did make some quick disks and leaves with Butterscotch frit partially melted in and they were OK. Working it on the surface for any length of time and all I get is dull yuck.

Eileen 2016-03-21 2:03pm

So far I have only found info on experimental Morado, and that doesn't look the same, but I am still looking.

Glitzy Glass Studio 2016-03-21 2:17pm

You created a haze on the glass, you need to get this glass really hot to burn off the haze and then encase it, to get the complete effect. It does look like NS blue carmel - but it also could be blue moon.

Eileen 2016-03-21 7:11pm

Hmmm, I I'll try again, though I thought it was pretty darn hot! Thank you!

Cosmo 2016-03-22 6:57am

It's not just heat. It's flame chemistry as well. Try a hot neutral flame, or even oxidizing. I'm going to say it's Blue Caramel. The reduction is tan, and on Blue Moon the reduction usually looks blue or green.

Eileen 2016-03-22 7:04am

Thank you, I'm getting ready to go out & give it a shot.

I have another question. I played around with a different short, and trailed it over some clear, then added some clear over top of some of the color too. Where you see through the clear to the bottom side is really pretty, but the outside, both before and after adding the outer clear is not. Any thoughts as to what I did wrong?
I have a picture (please excuse the sad attempt at a heart) but it is on my phone, so I need to post it separately, brb.

Eileen 2016-03-22 7:07am

1 Attachment(s)
This is the test of the other color. Is it also my flame and heat?

PS. This is not annealed, not sure if that makes a difference or not.

Cosmo 2016-03-22 8:24pm

The outside is reduced. That's why it's that color. More oxygen and more heat.

Those colors really don't change much when annealed.

Mina 2016-03-22 9:26pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Glitzy Glass Studio (Post 4837342)
You created a haze on the glass, you need to get this glass really hot to burn off the haze and then encase it, to get the complete effect. It does look like NS blue carmel - but it also could be blue moon.

What does creating a haze mean? In reference to the photo, is the haze the whitish/cream color at the tip?

Eileen 2016-03-23 4:43pm

I haven't been able to light up & try the extra heat, but I used my leponits nippers to chip a bit of the white off, and it is dark inside. It reminded me of the candy shell on M&M candy.

mightymike 2016-03-23 10:23pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mina (Post 4837596)
What does creating a haze mean? In reference to the photo, is the haze the whitish/cream color at the tip?

yes it is the whitish/cream color at the tip in that picture. that color glass and other like it have silver and other metals in it that if worked in a neutral to oxidizing flame will stay blue but when hit with a reducing flame the metals come to the surface and form a haze layer on the glass.

LarryC 2016-03-25 4:37pm

Are you running an oxycon? You might not be able to achieve a hot and oxidizing flame that way.

Dragonharper 2016-04-10 3:32am

There is a lot of silver in that glass, so not only do you need to get it screaming hot you need plenty of oxygen too. Your flame should be hissing quite loudly. I agree with Larry, if you are on an oxy con you may not be able to get it hot enought or get your flame oxidizing enough.

Eileen 2016-04-10 5:35am

I just recently (a few days ago) was gifted my husband's oxygen tank when he got rid of some equipment, so I will try again with the oxygen turned up, and with the tanked and see how those changes work, thanks!

KJohn 2016-04-10 4:34pm

I was wondering how this worked out. Would love to see :)

Eileen 2016-04-10 6:21pm

I got caught up in some Beads of Courage projects and haven't had time to try, but hopefully this week.