Lampwork Etc.

Lampwork Etc. (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/index.php)
-   Tips, Techniques, and Questions (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Need ideas to make graphite tools for isgb meeting (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=287373)

sunnyone 2016-05-12 2:29pm

Need ideas to make graphite tools for isgb meeting

Okay...so we are spraying metal with graphite spray to make tools this weekend at the Florida Glass Dragons Meeting in St. Cloud. I am bringing the spray but I am at a loss for fun stuff to bring to spray:) It works best on metal since it sticks better....but most metal already works....so tin etc etc that doesnt hold up alone without the coating ??? any suggestions??? marvering plates was one idea i had...what could i buy cheap at home depot to make marvering plates to spray?

i am open to any and all suggestions:)

Teri.p 2016-05-12 4:38pm

Do you think wood would work? Could it stand up to the heat if sprayed with graphite?

Eileen 2016-05-12 4:44pm

Hmmm, I've never heard of doing that. Would tweezers work? So the glass wouldn't stick?
Sometimes I've had my shorts stick in the short holder because I have kept it in the flame just a tad too close to the holder teeth, LOL

sunnyone 2016-05-12 6:09pm

tweezers ! yup...a shorts holder is a great idea:)

i think wood is iffy...i coated a chop stick and it burned...but i wonder if a block of wood would be ok...i will try to find some to spray and play with:)

hey eileen are ya coming to the meeting?

we are going to make fairy gardens..like actually make them. igot all the stuffies for them and we are going to demo gnomes. mushrooms, trees etc to add to them at home:)

MelanieG 2016-05-12 6:15pm

I'd spray a set of dental tools. I'd love dental tool shapes for sculpting that wouldn't stick and would glide across the work.

Michele R. 2016-05-12 6:31pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by sunnyone (Post 4848953)

we are going to make fairy gardens..like actually make them. igot all the stuffies for them and we are going to demo gnomes. mushrooms, trees etc to add to them at home:)

I've been making fairy garden accessories the last few weeks and having a blast! Was actually planning on doing one before the last Soda Lime Times issue came out with the gnome tutorial. Both of my pictures for the You Pick 15 were of fairy gardens!

Its fun to make the figures fot the gardens, and it's a great way to sell to people who might not have much interest in beads for jewelry. I've sold a bunch to coworkers already, and have requests for more!

Oh - and ditto on dental tools!

Eileen 2016-05-12 6:38pm

Sounds like a fun meeting. I won't be there, the family is gathering to celebrate our mom's 100th birthday on Saturday (her birthday is actually today) but I hope to see photos!

echeveria 2016-05-12 6:54pm

How about melon scoopers or olive spoons?

sunnyone 2016-05-12 8:38pm

i didnt know there was a tut in soda lime! awesome!

great ideas...keep um coming:)

Speedslug 2016-05-12 10:53pm

Coating one of those "5 in One" paint scrapers comes to mind.

As does various metal wood rasps and bent wood filers with different patterning on them.

Knurled knobs and larger diameter threaded bolts could be cool patterns for bead and sculptured surfaces.

sunnyone 2016-05-13 7:30am

thank you speedslug...going to home depot tonight:)

Croft Eeusk 2016-05-13 7:02pm

Some relish or ice tongs make some interesting shapes when pressed into hot glass.

dj

Speedslug 2016-05-13 9:10pm

Nut cracker pliers perhaps?

losthelm 2016-05-16 10:51am

Look at goodwill, Salvation Army and other thrust shops.
Stainless Flat wear with decorative designs work well.
All sorts of kitchen or clay tools can be useful.

Eileen 2016-05-16 6:09pm

Oh, stainless spoons etc. are available cheap at thrift stores.

PattyK 2016-05-17 7:33am

Is this the kind of graphite spray you are talking about?

http://www.amazon.com/Blaster-8-GS-G.../dp/B0094IZ3BA

Sounds interesting!

Mina 2016-05-17 8:52am

PattyK, that sounds like an interesting product. I wonder if it could be used to spay inside a clay mold to make a stamp for hot glass?

Eileen 2016-05-17 9:01am

Norma, I think it was Corina in Passing the Flame that talked about soaking clay molds to use, so the steam from the water keeps the glass from sticking. I have made some with clay, and at least one I have tested and it did work.

Mina 2016-05-17 9:11am

Eileen, what kind of clay have you used? I have some modeling clay that air dries...would that work?

Eileen 2016-05-17 9:17am

I have high fire clay from my pottery. I don't know anything about modeling clay, can it take high temperatures?