Lampwork Etc.

Lampwork Etc. (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/index.php)
-   Customer Service Kiosk (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=47)
-   -   Looking for Lauscha coral pink glass (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=223499)

CC Design 2012-05-03 7:02am

Looking for Lauscha coral pink glass

Does anyone know where to find some Lauscha coral pink glass?
Thanks, Carolyn

dilly53 2012-05-03 7:08am

I recently bought 1 lb or this glass on Ebay from Jodels daughter. I came to me very dirty, some broken but otherwise okay. I love this glass and have a new set made with it on my etsy shop, Pickadilly Beads. I think you can find more of this on ebay, but if you don't want to deal with the mess Jodel in known for I would be happy to sell you some...and I'll even clean it for you.

Gail Witt

Elizabeth Beads 2012-05-03 7:29am

Is it a pastel or a transparent?

CC Design 2012-05-03 7:33am

Wow thanks Gail, I have bought from jodel in the past and didn't have any problems. But I know alot of people have had big issues with her. Do you know her daughter's ebay seller name? I would like to buy several lbs if possible.

How much would you want to sell? and price?
Thanks so much
Carolyn

CC Design 2012-05-03 7:37am

It's a transparent glass. Thanks,

smkes 2012-05-03 7:50am

It is Kellysglasshouse. She has a 5lb bundle that she has started the bidding off at $65.

CC Design 2012-05-03 7:59am

Thanks Mary i will check it out

eregel 2012-05-04 1:05pm

? That's not Lauscha, is it? Every piece of Lauscha I've bought from Kelly has been big fat rods, the 'special coral' is all the little skinny Morreti stuff. Oh, wait, do you mean the Gold Melon Pink? I think I have 30 pounds of it stashed away now... I may need a 12-step program...

SuzyQ 2012-05-04 1:43pm

You need help Pat. I would be happy to buy some of that 30 pounds :D

purpledragonfly 2012-05-05 7:23am

me too Suzy Q. someone gifted me 3 rods and I used some of it the other.....yummmmm!!!!!!

Magicfire 2012-05-05 10:36am

How is it working for you all? I bought 10 lbs. from Jodel's daughter and I LOVE the color. However, just like my beloved Lauscha transparent peach, it will crack (for me at least) if I encase softer glass with it, like Effetre white or even Effetre clear.

It did work fine if I use a base of the Lauscha coral pink first, or another Lauscha transparent color. I experimented with it quite a bit and if you want to encase with the coral pink but don't use a base of Lauscha transparent first, it will crack. I imagine any Lauscha transparent would do, but I couldn't find my clear so used the light pink.

I tried encasing it over Effetre and Vetrofond clear, and it cracked almost every time. I guess those clears are just too soft compared to the Lauscha.

Just dots of coral pink do fine, and of course making the whole bead out of coral pink does fine also, it's just kind of dark. It is really pretty encased over something so you can see the color better.

I also pulled some stringer with a base of Effetre white encased in the coral pink, and swirled that over a base of Effetre white. It looked like a pretty peach and did not crack. There wasn't much coral pink, though, so that probably helped.

My absolute favorite combo was to encase the coral pink over a base of Lauscha light transparent pink. Then it was like slightly peachy strawberry jello--just a scrumptious color!!

I took photos, but now I can't find my camera!

HTH,
-Patti

Magicfire 2012-05-05 10:39am

BTW, just fyi, I garage at 975 and put the beads in the kiln glowing. I started doing that years ago when I had cracking issues with the Lauscha peach transparent. This is the same type of cracking and the same type of glass, so I knew right away what was going on. :) So they are not thermal cracks. It's just a difference in viscosity/stiffness.

I forgot to mention that it is gorgeous with Z-99 or EDP. Yum!!

Oh yeah! Also forgot to mention that I had to turn up the oxygen when working with it...even in a neutral flame it seems to act like it is being reduced and wants to get a brown cast to it. I've never had glass do that before...I use 2 5 LPM oxy concentrators with a Lynx instead of tanked oxy, so I can't really crank the oxy up as high as I would like. The brown cast isn't that noticable, but might be more of a problem if you are on a hothead or only have 1 concentrator. I used the Lynx with 1 concentrator for years which worked fine most of the time, but I couldn't crank up the oxygen much.

Anyway, it is such a pretty color that I think it is worth all the trouble!

Elizabeth Beads 2012-05-05 2:06pm

I'm scared to use Lauscha with anything but Lauscha, except tiny amounts. Too many bad experiences. Same with Czech glass, I only use very small amounts with my other 104 glass.

eregel 2012-05-06 4:31am

Really! Okay, now I have a Mission for today's torch session - I've never had any problem with Lauscha that I've noticed, but I also use very little of it - the rods are SO big and the glass is SO hard, working on a Hot Head I tend to use the lauscha as stringer - little dots of the gold melon pink over effetre pinks or whites is GORGEOUS. I did make spacers with it with no problem... I'll play with it later.

I don't want to restart a firestorm over this again, but Kelly has 2 batches of Gold Melon pink listed right now - 5 pounds for $65 and 10 pounds for $115. I'm sitting on my hands not to buy any more of it.

Lisi 2012-05-06 8:21am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elizabeth Beads (Post 3988691)
I'm scared to use Lauscha with anything but Lauscha, except tiny amounts. Too many bad experiences. Same with Czech glass, I only use very small amounts with my other 104 glass.

Yep, I agree. I would use Lauscha only with Lauscha, and it would be okay to use frit on the surface only. One of the worse Lauscha/Effetre combos I ever tried was the Lauscha Peach transparent with Effetre coral and white. Horrible crack city, and the beads fell apart in my hands in many pieces.

dilly53 2012-05-06 8:39am

I'm going to chime in again regarding the Lauscha Coral Pink. I originally bought this color from Jodel many years ago....it came in light or dark coral then. I have used it over the years and had very few issues with cracking. Now, I make pretty small beads, so that might have something to do with it, but I encase effetre white with it all the time, and no cracks. If I had my way I would use Lauscha glass all the time. I just love the way it melts. Here's a photo of my current set on my etsy.

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Gail

Lisi 2012-05-06 2:18pm

Gorgeous beads!! I'm sure if there was going to be 104 COE trouble with that color, you would have found out right away like I did. I won't buy that peach transparent ever again. Unless it's for spacers. It's the really pale one, like a tint, really.

Magicfire 2012-05-06 5:10pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lisi (Post 3989540)
Gorgeous beads!! I'm sure if there was going to be 104 COE trouble with that color, you would have found out right away like I did. I won't buy that peach transparent ever again. Unless it's for spacers. It's the really pale one, like a tint, really.

Yup, that's the peach transparent I'm talking about.

I may have more trouble because I make larger beads. But if I start off with a base of Lauscha transparent, none of the beads have cracked.

Your mileage may vary, of course!

When I bought mine she was only selling them in 10-lb. lots. I really didn't need that much, but I'm having a hard time bringing myself to sell the extra. :D

I have some peach rubino I got from the Frantz fun house a couple of months ago. It's kind of like that, but much more intense. Such a pretty color!

-Patti

Magicfire 2012-05-06 5:13pm

I haven't had any problem with other Lauscha colors cracking except for the transparent peach and the Hawaiian Purple. Those 2 just don't play well with others.

Quote:

Originally Posted by eregel (Post 3989142)
Really! Okay, now I have a Mission for today's torch session - I've never had any problem with Lauscha that I've noticed, but I also use very little of it - the rods are SO big and the glass is SO hard, working on a Hot Head I tend to use the lauscha as stringer - little dots of the gold melon pink over effetre pinks or whites is GORGEOUS. I did make spacers with it with no problem... I'll play with it later.

I don't want to restart a firestorm over this again, but Kelly has 2 batches of Gold Melon pink listed right now - 5 pounds for $65 and 10 pounds for $115. I'm sitting on my hands not to buy any more of it.

SuzyQ 2012-05-07 2:49am

Quote:

Originally Posted by dilly53 (Post 3989263)
I'm going to chime in again regarding the Lauscha Coral Pink. I originally bought this color from Jodel many years ago....it came in light or dark coral then. I have used it over the years and had very few issues with cracking. Now, I make pretty small beads, so that might have something to do with it, but I encase effetre white with it all the time, and no cracks. If I had my way I would use Lauscha glass all the time. I just love the way it melts. Here's a photo of my current set on my etsy.

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Gail

Such pretty beads and that is definitely a yummy color. Thanks for sharing Gail.

Lisi 2012-05-07 6:40am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Magicfire (Post 3989683)
I haven't had any problem with other Lauscha colors cracking except for the transparent peach and the Hawaiian Purple. Those 2 just don't play well with others.

Oh yes, the Hawaiian Purple was crackity crack-crack. Awful stuff. But so pretty. I ended up using it or a base for frit, and it was fine.

PaulaD 2012-05-07 1:51pm

If I remember correctly Carol Anne (who was working at Lauscha at the time) said (somewhere on this forum) that the opaque (Hawaiian) purple was not to be encased. I was recently told by a customer that it is pretty close color wise to the Zimmerman purple rose which I thought was interesting information.

Elizabeth Beads 2012-05-07 2:09pm

I think it depends on the batch of Hawaiian Purple. I had some fat rods in the past that did not play well with others. I now have a batch of skinny rods and have seen no compatibility issues. The color is similar to Dark Periwinkle or Reichenbach Lilac, just my opinion. :)

PaulaD 2012-05-08 9:43am

That is interesting. I have only ever had one batch I guess because all the rods were the same color (fat and skinny). I will have to compare it to those other colors when I get my glass unpacked!
Paula

Magicfire 2012-05-08 3:18pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elizabeth Beads (Post 3990522)
I think it depends on the batch of Hawaiian Purple. I had some fat rods in the past that did not play well with others. I now have a batch of skinny rods and have seen no compatibility issues. The color is similar to Dark Periwinkle or Reichenbach Lilac, just my opiinion. :)

That's good to know! I love the Hawaiian purple.

I figured out yesterday that it was in fact the transparent peach that I used as a base under the coral pink. The two colors worked together beautifully, with no cracks. The lighter transparent lightens up the coral pink so you can see the color better.

AlivELampworK 2012-05-10 9:45am

Quote:

Originally Posted by eregel (Post 3987832)
? That's not Lauscha, is it? Every piece of Lauscha I've bought from Kelly has been big fat rods, the 'special coral' is all the little skinny Morreti stuff. Oh, wait, do you mean the Gold Melon Pink? I think I have 30 pounds of it stashed away now... I may need a 12-step program...

30 pounds? wow.

SuzyQ 2012-05-10 10:38am

That's about 120 of your beads Ali :D

SuzyQ 2012-05-11 12:38pm

OMG, this is such a beautiful color. *sigh* I might need more than the 5 pounds I got, lol.

purpledragonfly 2012-05-11 5:21pm

turns out I bought 10 lbs of the gold melon pink and the DH bought me 10 lbs of it for mother's day......woohooooo!

SuzyQ 2012-05-11 5:39pm

whoa..... :)