Lampwork Etc.

Lampwork Etc. (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/index.php)
-   Tips, Techniques, and Questions (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Passing the Flame~> (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=98721)

BugNerd 2008-07-21 8:35pm

Passing the Flame~>

Ok. So I'm looking for Corina Tettinger's book, "Passing the Flame". All I'm finding are used and in the price range of $75 to >$200!!!

I saw a few new ones, but am unsure what edition they are (and actually confused about whether there are multiple editions)

Went to Corina's website and it said the new edition was available! When I click on her "buy books" link, all I see are updates for the spiral bound version, which I believe is an older version...possibly.

Which brings me another point of confusion....there are spiral bound books and hard-cover....it's not clear if the spiral is being called hard-cover at sites where I have found it.

It's a really great book and I'd like to get my hands on it....if I can get all this straightened out.

Hopefully, she frequents this site and might slip an autographed copy in the mail for me as a Random Act of Glass Kindness *hint* *hint*

:waving:

BugNerd 2008-07-21 8:46pm

Thank you, Kimberly :-) I had just become overwhelmed with information lol Barnes and Noble searched and told me it was out-of-print which really surprised me!

I'll probably wait for the autographed one for a few days before I order, just in case :-P

agw 2008-07-21 8:53pm

When you think about it, the wire bound edition makes a lot of sense! It would lie flat and stay open if you were using it for reference while making a bead. I also really want a copy and will have to check into it further.

Thanks from me too, Kimberly!

CelesteK 2008-07-21 8:58pm

I just recently purchased Passing the Flame. I got mine from Arrow Springs for the $75.00. It't out in my studio, but from what I can remember it looks like a hard bound book from the outside. The spiral is on the inside and is protected be the spine of the book. And it does lie nice and flat. I think that Corina self-published this book and it isn't available through channels such as Barnes and Noble.

Celeste

BugNerd 2008-07-21 9:00pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by CelesteK (Post 1970457)
I just recently purchased Passing the Flame. I got mine from Arrow Springs for the $75.00. It't out in my studio, but from what I can remember it looks like a hard bound book from the outside. The spiral is on the inside and is protected be the spine of the book. And it does lie nice and flat. I think that Corina self-published this book and it isn't available through channels such as Barnes and Noble.

Celeste

I thought that might be the case, but then I figured it would show up for sale at her website. Could have been user error :-) on my part.

menty666 2008-07-21 9:05pm

Passing the Flame, Contemporary Glass, and Warm Glass are all uber expensive books but well worth the money. Well, the last one's only really worth it if you're going to do fusing/slumping. :)

ItsMeRoRo 2008-07-21 9:06pm

Corina's book is WELL WORTH the hunt! Good luck! :)

ArtcoInc 2008-07-21 10:08pm

I've got the 3rd edition in stock ... hard bound, not spiral bound.

Malcolm

ItsMeRoRo 2008-07-21 10:57pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by ArtcoInc (Post 1970526)
I've got the 3rd edition in stock ... hard bound, not spiral bound.

Malcolm

FYI: Malcom Rocks! :)

Thanks again for my Dots book... can't wait to read it!

RaymondMillbrae 2008-07-22 6:57am

Hey guys,

I was also looking ar purchasing the Passing the Flame book for my DWP.

I saw them at Amazon.com for $45.00. (SEE HERE).

Is this the latest revision/edition?

Is it the hardbound or spiral edition?

I know I need to contact the seller to verify this, but I thought that yall might have an answer based on the price...or maybe someone else already looked into it.

By the way, what ever happened to Corina Tettinger?

Thanks.

In Christ: Raymond

Kalera 2008-07-22 9:33am

I have the first edition, and while it's shy a few pages that were added to the later edition, it's still a great resource.

Diane (clarus) 2008-07-22 9:55am

Corina's website is www.corinabeads.com. She has a newsletter that she sends out periodically with tips and tricks and news about specials. It's worthwhile to peruse her site to see the results of the challenges she's held as well as the archive of the beads she's sold. In spite of her personal challenges, she's one amazing glass artist! And her book is still one of the very best books on making beads.

-Diane

Elegance_1 2008-07-22 10:09am

Quote:

Originally Posted by RaymondMillbrae (Post 1970793)
Hey guys,

I was also looking ar purchasing the Passing the Flame book for my DWP.

I saw them at Amazon.com for $45.00. (SEE HERE).

Is this the latest revision/edition?

Is it the hardbound or spiral edition?

Hi Raymond. That one is the third addition and from the cover I can't tell if it's the hard bound or spiral. Mine is the hard bound and looks just like that. You may have to contact the seller to ask the latter. I bought mine off Amazon and had two gift certs so mine only cost $40. :)

Good to see you!

tt4st 2008-07-22 10:23am

Ricky, If you want to save money - get the Amazon hard bound book for $45 (good price!). Unless you are going to have it opened up on your bench when you torch, the $30 savings would be worth it. I don't keep books near my torch because I don't want to start a forest fire with all my popping glass...lol !!!

Ray, The $45 one is hard bound. The spiral bound is $75 on Amazon. There isn't much difference between the editions that I could see except for a few pages at the end of the book.

SmithGirl 2008-07-22 3:23pm

I brought my at a bead show in Calgary, Alberta this past June. Wonderful book. I've read it cover to cover twice before I start trying out the techniques.

I saw it at Sundance Glass. Below is the link.

http://www.sundanceglass.com/books/p...-the-flame.htm

Mei Wah

BugNerd 2008-07-22 3:36pm

You all have been very helpful! Thank you so much!

Rudy 2008-07-22 5:35pm

Corina's book is sooooo WORTH IT that I had to pipe in on this thread...even though I don't have anything worthwhile to add! : - ))))))! I loved the book SOOOO much that I told her so via an email. She's the absolute best!!!!! mua...mua...mua.....

I say: don't hesitate...buy it!

debkauz 2008-07-22 8:24pm

I'd also highly recommend this book. It's wonderful and a lot less expensive.

http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Book-...ref=pd_sim_b_1

C-Ann 2008-07-22 8:43pm

It is a wonderful book - great to reference and not to mention a bit of inspiration when you are feeling unispired :)

Margrieten 2008-07-24 8:14am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elegance_1 (Post 1971106)
Hi Raymond. That one is the third addition and from the cover I can't tell if it's the hard bound or spiral. Mine is the hard bound and looks just like that. You may have to contact the seller to ask the latter. I bought mine off Amazon and had two gift certs so mine only cost $40. :)

Good to see you!

That's not true! When you click on the picture, you can see that it is the second edition.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...WL._SS500_.jpg

I have seen both editions next to each other and looked at each page. There's almost nothing changed in the third edition!

CelesteK 2008-07-25 7:20pm

Here's a thought for all of you thinking about buying books. I really like my Passing the Flame and I use it a lot. However, I have about three different books open and spread out around my studio (away from my torch...). Sometimes another author will describe the same process in different words and it will make more sense than another book, or something will just jump out of a book ( aha! moments). I'm still trying to get my poked dots to look lovely and even and every book I own is open to those pages. Of course, my personal belief is that you can never have too many books.

Celeste

zany artist 2008-07-26 9:42am

Passing the Flame is my favorite book for Lampworking-and mine IS signed, since I took her class @ Blue Moon in June I asked her to sign it! WOOO HOOOO, what a class! She is an awesomely creative, encouraging and downright fun person! I love the book even more, as when I use it, I now 'hear' her telling me what to do. Love her voice!
I have the revised second edition, and I use a beautiful cookbook holder (painted blue wrought iron) that holds your book open to whateve page you want, and stands up! I was gonna sell that lil item, and SO glad I didn't. Got it at a local 'quaint lil shop' otherwise known as a thrift store- we have an abundance of them her in Austin...I am (lovingly) banned from them by hubby, as there is no room in our house for more 'stuff'.

BugNerd 2008-07-26 10:58am

I'm not jealous at all. Nope, not me. :-P

The cookbook holder is good idea.

Elizabeth Beads 2008-07-26 3:21pm

I got mine from one of the Amazon reselllers for about $50 with free shipping. It is brand new, shrink wrapped and it is the 3rd Edition. :)

It got here a day late for me to get it signed at Blue Moon. :(

But the class was tons of fun. The book is almost like being in the class as it covers the same things. Except of course for Corina grabbing your hand and saying move the f***ing bead.

Just kidding, Corina is a sweetie -- and in my view, a Master beadmaker. And that's what counts.

Liz

RaymondMillbrae 2008-07-27 4:28am

Is it me, and am I having a "senior moment"?

I could have sworn that the book was for sale at Amazon.com for $45.00.

But now that I went back to purchase it, it is selling for $54.00.

Am I showing the first signs of "seniormomentus disllexious"?!

Darn, there goes an extra $10.00.

Boy...this lampworking stuff is a money pit I tell ya...a money pit!!

PS: I ended-up purchasing it from Amazon.com for $56.95, shipped to my door. Don't know if it's the 2nd or 3rd edition...but who cares. The price was right, and I'm sure both me-n-DWP will learn from it. Thanks for bringing up this thread, as it reminded me of this book again, which I told myself to purchase for DWP a while back.

DWP doesn't frequent the forums much (unless she's behind me while I'm typing, or she's looking at tutorials), so it'll be my surprise to her.

Kudos on a cool "reminder" thread!

mikefrantz 2008-07-28 8:22pm

Where in the world is Corina?

Corina is doing well. She is still living in Washington State. She makes beads and teaches both privately and at locations throughout the United States and the world!

A few years ago Corina was in crisis and lost her grip on life, spent too much money, upset many people, got arrested and finally crashed.

With help from her close friends and proffessional medical help, she found the correct dosage of medication for her Bipolar condition and soon began to restart her life and began paying for the mistakes she made.

I was lucky enough to have Corina allow me to be the distributor for Passing The Flame (PTF) and in a few short years we sold over 5,000 copies!

Corina has her own newsletter, she talks about art, she offers beadmaking advice, she has beads for sale and of course she talks about her home, her animals, her friends and her life!

http://www.corinabeads.com

So I guess I can say Corina is doing fine. Corina Tettinger will be one of the demonstraters at the Frantz Bash 2008 this August 23rd. If you would like to
come, please check out our Frantz News Letter.

http://www.frantznewsletter.com

If you ever need an autographed copy of Passing The Flame (Hard or Wirebound), I can make it happen.

The wirebound copy is great for the workbench, the casebound is great for the coffee table and bathroom reading!

As far as why a casebound is $45 and then $54 and why it is less money than the spiral version, the answer is easy (because I know)!

Some distributors in the beginning purchased 500 copies at one time, got a better price and were able to offer discounts. Some sellers dropped the prices and soon there was a price war. I heard that one seller was offering PTF at a dollar over cost which is great for the buyer, but the seller is now out of business!

Frantz Art Glass sells Passing The Flame by Corina Tettinger. If you buy one From Frantz Art Glass, and you would like it autographed, I can make it happen! If you ask for an autographed copy and if I fail to deliver an autographed copy, I will give you the book for free!

The autograph is free and if I fail to deliver, then the book is free.

This offer is good From August 1st thru September 1st.

Thanks

Mike Frantz

RaymondMillbrae 2008-08-02 9:04am

Hey folks,

just wanted to follow-up on my order.

The book (PASSING THE FLAME) arrived from Amazon.com in three days.

I know the picture shows the 2nd edition book. But when I was ordering it, I noticed the vendor had some type of comment about how it will be "the most current edition," or something like that. So while ordering the book (while crossing my fingers) there was a chance that it would be the newest 3rd edition...and it was!

Woo-Hoo.

I presented it to my DWP yesterday, and she was all happy and smiling from ear-to-ear. (Gifts are so cool).

Just thought some of you may want to know.

PS: Wow...now it went back down to $49.00. Go figure. :confused:

Tesorobeads 2008-08-02 9:55am

I think it is a great book and I'm glad I bought it.

Debbie