Lampwork Etc.

Lampwork Etc. (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/index.php)
-   Tips, Techniques, and Questions (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Show me your stringer storage (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=271227)

Angie09 2014-10-20 1:46pm

Show me your stringer storage

i was reading a tutorial the other night (of course, now I can't remember which one) and the person said they save all their stringers and have containers labeled with the color names. How would you do that??? How do you store your stringers so you know what they are when you want to use them again????

shawnette 2014-10-20 1:52pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Angie09 (Post 4665289)
i was reading a tutorial the other night (of course, now I can't remember which one) and the person said they save all their stringers and have containers labeled with the color names. How would you do that??? How do you store your stringers so you know what they are when you want to use them again????

I used to store the colors separately and label each holder, but not any more. Some special colors I still keep separate & labeled, but now I mostly just group by color. (Blues, greens, etc.)

I use tube ice trays.

Beatrix92 2014-10-21 7:58am

Here is a picture of my "high tech" stringer storage system. lol.

PaulaD 2014-10-21 9:18am

I always used coffee cans.

EchoTantuli 2014-10-21 5:56pm

I got some test tubes off ebay and some storage racks for them too. I think it was around 75 dollars or so for a set up of 250 test tubes. I love the system! You can write on the test tube with a sharpie, and wipe it off if you change it. I got so many just because I work in a variety of COEs so keeping them separated became really important.

jellybellykelley 2014-10-21 6:33pm

I am really glad that you brought this up because I have NO SYSTEM!! However, I am finally organizing myself so that will be my chore tomorrow. Thank you!

jaci 2014-10-22 7:59am

The ice cube trays that make ice sticks for water bottles.

carolinesbeads 2014-10-25 12:33am

I just ordered some test tubes on ebay. I got my minor set up this weekend so I cleaned up my work area. For some reason I hate tossing even the smallest ammount of glass. I keep stringer even when there is only an inch or 2 left if it is goldstone or dicro or silvered ivory stringer. I have an easier time getting rid of my regular encased stringer. Does anyone else have this problem or am I a weirdo?

DesertDreamer 2014-10-26 12:31pm

1 Attachment(s)
I'll ditch the last inch or two if it's a common color sometimes, but often I drop them all in a container and toss bits on an "end of day" bead that gets raked and twisted for some fun effects.

Here's my bench with the ice tubes prominently featured.

Winter Fire 2014-10-28 1:52pm

I bought some 1/2 inch acrylic tubes at the local plastics store and cut them up into 9 inch pieces. I also bought some 1/2 disks and glued one to the end of each of the tubes with acrylic cement. Because the tubes are clear I can see what's in them, and I can also write the color on the tube with a Sharpie so I can tell which black stringer it is.

Sal 2014-10-29 2:45pm

1 Attachment(s)
I started out in stained glass, so I had a Morton glass caddy for scrap pieces of glass. Turns out, it works perfectly for glass rod. (If Morton knew, I'm sure they would market it!)
I ended up buying a second one. But each one holds a lot of glass.

[ATTACH]151807

[/ATTACH]http://www.delphiglass.com/glass-too...on-glass-caddy

betsymn 2014-10-29 7:50pm

Copper pipes put into soup cans, then put on a lazy susan.

SerendipityArtGlass 2014-10-29 8:11pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by betsymn (Post 4669247)
Copper pipes put into soup cans, then put on a lazy susan.

I did something similar. I cut PVC. The center is the tallest, surrounded by another group one step height down and then a third row if the shortest height. Then it was glued and mounted on a lazy susan. I keep bundles of commercial mostly in that and use the ice cube trays for stuff I pull by hand/specialty cane.

ewagnerfrog 2014-10-29 10:21pm

I use test tubes and like the clear glass. I then take an empty tomato soup can, spray paint it white and turn it upside down I then ring the can with test tubes, held in place with rubber bands,It's small enough I can easily pick it up and turn it around to find the stringer i want. Ernie Wagner

Pat 2014-10-31 8:55am

I use tall empty jars or canning jars. Olive jars that are tall work great!

jaci 2014-11-02 9:09pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by ewagnerfrog (Post 4669292)
I use test tubes and like the clear glass. I then take an empty tomato soup can, spray paint it white and turn it upside down I then ring the can with test tubes, held in place with rubber bands,It's small enough I can easily pick it up and turn it around to find the stringer i want. Ernie Wagner

Great idea!

one hot beader 2014-11-03 1:47am

I use a paintbrush holder, and an old pen display. They hold all the stringers and canes I need to have pre-made. SIS, Encased goldstone, vine cane, stamen cane, rose cane.

Mostly though I make and use plain stringer as I need it.