Lampwork Etc.

Lampwork Etc. (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/index.php)
-   Tips, Techniques, and Questions (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Spiky Urchin Bead (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=283136)

Barb Richard 2015-11-01 9:10am

Spiky Urchin Bead

Anybody have info on how to make Astrid Riedel's spiky urchin bead? Thanks for any info!

Eileen 2015-11-01 9:32am

I think she might teach that in the classes she is doing, or possible have a tutorial for sale on it? I'm not positive though, she may not be ready to let go of that technique yet.

dwgrant 2015-11-01 9:38am

She does teach this technique in her classes, and I have never seen anyone teach something similar.

Darrell

dla 2015-11-01 12:26pm

There is something very similar to this technique in a free tutorial somewhere. I have it but at the moment can't locate it. Will keep looking. It is posted online on someone's website too. Been there a LONG time - if it's still there and that's where I found it.

Eileen 2015-11-01 1:53pm

Wow, I've never seen anyone do the spikes but Astrid, now I'm intrigued. I've only seen the solid spirals, so thought the spikes were her discovery, but now I may have to go looking around.

Three Muses Glass 2015-11-01 4:44pm

Try a search for 'tornado bead'. That's been around awhile. Astrid's looks different and much more magical.
But...even if someone knew, who took a class or bought a tutorial- they shouldn't tell. Ya know?

Eileen 2015-11-01 5:04pm

I wouldn't for sure. I was intrigued as to whether it was an old technique that was only new to me, & I really do think this is Astrid's discovery and hers to teach to those who want to/can take the class, but was curious if there really was a tutorial that predated her beads.

Three Muses Glass 2015-11-01 5:43pm

I know you wouldn't Eileen, that was more directed to the OP. This is the one I was meaning. The link isn't good anymore but maybe she's still around. The thing is, I know someone else who was doing them a long time ago too. That tornado style I mean, no idea about Astrids.
http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...t=tornado+bead

Eileen 2015-11-01 6:07pm

Ah, OK, and yes, I have seen tutorials for that style too.

glass butterfly 2015-11-01 6:12pm

The link to the tornado bead by MZ doesn't work. I just tried. What a neat bead. Does anyone have a working link to it or a copy that they could post to the free tutorial thread here on LE? Thanks.

Khaleesi Dane 2015-11-01 7:35pm

I would be ecstatic to find a link to a tutorial that teaches this method, or the swirly ones, tornado ones, whatever, and it does not need to be free. I do not mind paying for new techniques!

Thanks!

Jennefer 2015-11-01 9:14pm

I have a pdf of Margaret Zinser's tutorial on my computer. I am not really sure if it would be okay for me to pass it out even though it has her logo on it.

Edit: I just sent her a message through her website advising her of the interest and asking if it was okay to pass the tutorial on.

dla 2015-11-02 3:37am

That's the one I was thinking of. I'm sure she'll be fine with it. She's a very generous person. She's shared with me in the past. :) Plus, it was on her website for a long time for free. Anyway, I've messaged her as well but thru her facebook page and will look in my book of printed tuts.

dla 2015-11-02 3:51am

Astrid's bead is different but it's the same basic technique.

dla 2015-11-02 5:49am

Found my copy. On the page I have it's called "Are You Twisted ?" Knew I had it. lol ! Anyway, this is something anyone can do. :) Will wait to hear from Margaret.

Jennefer 2015-11-02 7:07am

I heard from Margaret, she is going to repost the tutorial on her website. She will come over and post a link when she gets it done.

truegem 2015-11-02 7:22am

MZ's is called a tornado bead. In my opinion, this is a very exaggerated version of the tornado bead. Absolutely stunning!

margaretz 2015-11-02 10:02am

Hi all! As others have already explained, I wrote this tutorial ages (2004?) ago, and figured that when I migrated to a new site, that the tutorial didn't need to make the migration too...I had no clue folks were still using it! It's a bit outdated, but the steps are all there. At some point, I'd like to retake photos, and update the text a bit, but I wanted to get this up in the meantime. I just reposted a link on my page to a Dropbox folder that contains a printable pdf. Enjoy! (email if the link doesn't work, and/ or if you have questions)

http://www.mzglass.com/twisty-tutorial

dla 2015-11-02 10:59am

Thanks so much Margaret for reposting ! :)

I told you all she's generous and may I add a very kind and helpful person to boot. :)

ccaronn 2015-11-02 6:17pm

Very, very generous of you, thank you!

beachbeads 2015-11-02 7:57pm

WOW

I have loved your work for many years now.

glass butterfly 2015-11-02 8:40pm

Thank you!😊

dla 2015-11-03 4:29am

Just thought I'd show my printed copy from Margaret's previous website. Notice how it's titled. And yes, Astrids bead is a version of this tutorial. As I stated, very similar technique.

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h6...%20640x501.jpg

hazegry 2015-11-03 9:11am

can you apply the same technique to a larger bead? I would like to make one of these into a shifter knob for my car.

Barb Richard 2015-11-03 9:17am

Thank you Margaret--and all who replied!! I did write to Astrid for a tut but she said she didn't have one. Would have been happy to buy it, as opposed to poaching.

Going to play with this!

Speedslug 2015-11-03 10:16am

Hazegry, the knob shifter is a doable thing but you need to remember that is some 3 or 4 inches of glass and the kiln cool down time is going to be a day long or more.

You might get it made with less hazard of cracking if you went to someplace with liquified glass in a crucible like Corning Museum of Glass or some hot glass shop.

Torching 4 inches of marble is not for the faint of heart.

hazegry 2015-11-03 2:35pm

I am planning on doing it at the chrysler museum so should be good there.

Cosmo 2015-11-04 2:46pm

Most shift knobs are hollow, not solid. If they were solid they would be too heavy to use.