Lampwork Etc.

Lampwork Etc. (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/index.php)
-   Tutorials to purchase (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=70)
-   -   Encased Floral Panels (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=102243)

xiola blue 2008-08-31 9:25am

Thank you, Lydia! The raku is in very large chunks, and has to be kiln-heated and pulled into stringer. I didn't use frit. When I used the regular iris orange stringer pulled from rods the petals came out a lot lighter.

I am about to try this style with BullsEye glass. I have learned so much making these beads...patience, refinement, delicate touch, and color...some of my beads are pretty dark, and I am working toward those delightful colors that make these beads really sing! xiola

simvet02 2008-08-31 10:53am

Well, yesterday's try cracked worse that the first, it has four cracks around the top and I heated it to within an inch of its life, as a matter of fact the flowers are black. Me thinks I better put this tutorial away for awhile. Although I will try the flowers on something else, the tutorial was a wonderful collection of techniques that I can use on many other things.

I'm going to buy some Raku stringers to use for them thought because I can't pull one thick enough. The thin ones just aren't controlable, at least not for me.

I like your idea of doing tutorials with techniques in them. That way we can use them to create our own style an signature....:->

lldesigns 2008-08-31 12:26pm

I'm waiting for mine as patiently as I can... I need a foot tapping smiley. :-D

suzanne 2008-08-31 12:47pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by simvet02 (Post 2039187)
Ok Suzanne, you edited your post....LOL (bet you didn't know that the first post is the one that goes out to those that are subscribed, I didn't either)

I must say, you have a good eye, I had to take it under the bright light with a magnifying glass, but your absoluetly right, it did crack. (not that I was going to do anything with it). I'm not surprised that it did, I wasn't very careful with the heat. I was more focused on those darn dots....LOL

Yes I editted my posting because I didn't want to hurt your feelings or come across harsh or anything. It could have been taken the wrong way and after you've spent so much time making that beautiful bead and finding out through me that it cracked it might have hurt you and I didn't want that to happen.

Next time, try heating the entire bead by just barely touching the tip of your flame. Just do this for a minute or so to make sure the heat completely penetrates ( I said penetrate:cool:) your bead. That is how I heat up my raised stringer beads once they are done, just roll them through the tip of the flame, getting them to barely glow.

Also as far as pulling your raku stringers, try blowing on your blob of glass while pulling. The glass cools faster that way and if you pull slowly you'll end up with nice thick stringers.

theglasszone 2008-08-31 1:03pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by lldesigns (Post 2040661)
I'm waiting for mine as patiently as I can... I need a foot tapping smiley. :-D

How about this guy? Ha....yes, I'm a trouble-making bead maker!!!

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x...ientMonkey.gif

~De

Ashtonjewels 2008-09-01 3:02pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carmen Isaacs (Post 2040492)
Lydia your tutorials have changed my entire approach to lampworking (they are teaching me patience). They are absolutely amazing and have been well worth the wait. I would still love to take a class with you if you ever change your mind about teaching. In the meantime your tutorials are the next best thing. What is your next one going to be??

Thanks Carmen! I'm so glad that you are finding them to be helpful. I'm not sure what the next tutorial will be on. Suggestions are most definitely welcome! As for teaching. . .I've decided that I'm going to. I've already started buying the equipment to enhance my studio. I'm hoping to be ready to teach in a few months or so.

Ashtonjewels 2008-09-01 3:10pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by simvet02 (Post 2040570)
Well, yesterday's try cracked worse that the first, it has four cracks around the top and I heated it to within an inch of its life, as a matter of fact the flowers are black. Me thinks I better put this tutorial away for awhile. Although I will try the flowers on something else, the tutorial was a wonderful collection of techniques that I can use on many other things.

I'm going to buy some Raku stringers to use for them thought because I can't pull one thick enough. The thin ones just aren't controlable, at least not for me.

I like your idea of doing tutorials with techniques in them. That way we can use them to create our own style an signature....:->

Jan, I'm sorry to hear that you are still experiencing some cracks in your beads. Given that you heated the bead so much, I have to wonder. . .Are you working with 96 or 104 Raku?

I bring this up because I have been working through cracking issues with several bead makers that were having the same problem. Turns out that they were using the 96 coe Raku instead of the 104 coe Raku.

Ashtonjewels 2008-09-01 3:22pm

Since we are on the subject of 96 COE Raku, I thought I might mention a bit about using it in these beads. . .As in, what will and what will not work. Using the 96 COE Raku for the flower petals is perfectly okay. However, if you use it for the large layers that are applied for the floral panels, you will have incompatibility issues. The incompatibility signs may not show up immediately, but I'd be willing to bet that a few days or a few weeks down the road, they'll have stress cracks.

Rose 2008-09-02 5:26pm

1 Attachment(s)
I've really enjoyed seeing everyones beads over the last few days! I finally got one I'm happy with so I'll share. Keep em' coming!

theglasszone 2008-09-02 8:29pm

Rose and everyone who has posted beads - they are just gorgeous!!!

~De

Ashtonjewels 2008-09-03 4:50am

Lovely bead, Rose!!!! Your goldstone is so sparkly, and I love the white flowers!

Elleth 2008-09-04 7:35pm

Here are my first attempts at this bead; the ends were not good so I covered them up with a couple of wraps of glass, other then that I am pleased with the results. I can’t wait to get back on the torch tomorrow and try again; this is a wonderful tutorial, thanks Lydia! :)

Excuse the crappy photos, something I’m still working on…

playswithfire104 2008-09-04 7:44pm

Beautiful Maggie!

Thanks for the head's up about the 96 Raku. That is the only type of raku I have. I guess I'll have to try using Terra. :-\" Unless Lydia you would want to trade me some 104 raku for some terra.

Ashtonjewels 2008-09-05 5:47am

OMG!! Maggie, those are beautiful!!! The only reason that you had issues with your ends is because you didn't melt the lenses all the way in. The upside to not doing so is that your color stays much more fresh and you don't risk the distortion of your floral petals. I really like the way that you saved your bead ends. . .They look fabulous!

Oh Nancy, how you do tempt me!!! Actually, I'm pming you NOW. lol

Elleth 2008-09-05 6:52am

Thanks you guys!

I have to say that in my short lampwork career, less then a year, these are probably the nicest beads I've made (with the exception of the ends).

I had an epiphany while working with this tutorial Lydia...
I have been able to make nice organic freeform beads with no problems, but anything with any detail has proven to be elusive, causing much frustration.](*,)
until now!
The revelation was simple really...SLOW DOWN! #-o
Instead of just shoving a gather of molten glass on the bead and pulling it away fast (smearing everything in the process) I'm now waiting a few seconds, count...1...2...3....pull, That made all the difference!

I’m going to make a few more of these today, hopefully with better ends!

playswithfire104 2008-09-05 6:59am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elleth (Post 2049247)
Thanks you guys!

I have to say that in my short lampwork career, less then a year, these are probably the nicest beads I've made (with the exception of the ends).

I had an epiphany while working with this tutorial Lydia...
I have been able to make nice organic freeform beads with no problems, but anything with any detail has proven to be elusive, causing much frustration.](*,)
until now!
The revelation was simple really...SLOW DOWN! #-o
Instead of just shoving a gather of molten glass on the bead and pulling it away fast (smearing everything in the process) I'm now waiting a few seconds, count...1...2...3....pull, That made all the difference!

I’m going to make a few more of these today, hopefully with better ends!

Isn't that funny! I think THE most important thing I have learned from these tutorials is patience. BT (before tutorials) the thought of spending more than a few minutes on a bead was insane to me. Even when I tried to slow down and take my time I just couldn't! AT (after tutorials) now I can spend an hour or more on a single bead. And it dosn't crack because I forget to keep it warm (usually), I get much closer to what I was trying to accomplish, and I find I'm much happier with the final product. I must admit that after 90 about minutes I am getting a bit impatient but for someone with ADD that's pretty darn good!

Elleth 2008-09-05 7:04am

Quote:

Originally Posted by playswithfire104 (Post 2049255)
BT (before tutorials) the thought of spending more than a few minutes on a bead was insane to me. Even when I tried to slow down and take my time I just couldn't! AT (after tutorials) now I can spend an hour or more on a single bead.

Yup!
These beads took me between 45 minutes to an hour each, but the result was worth the time!

dgg112 2008-09-05 7:33am

I tried this yesterday and it's a great tutorial!!!! I was going to try and take a picture but there wasn't a good side to photograph!! LOL
One of my problems is working tiny, everything starts getting bigger and bigger and before you know it my bead is HUGE!! If I ever wear it I'll need a neck brace!!! lol
I can't believe I can't divide a bead into fifths!! fourths yes, fifths just ain't happening!! LOL
My stringer work is pretty bad too, I'm still trying to find that sweet spot on my new torch (not that I ever found it on my old torch but it sounds good huh??)
But all in all, the tutorial is great and I had a real DUH moment. I can't tell you how many beads I've made with raku and covered it with aqua or teal glass, it's my favorite thing to do!! Well duh I NEVER EVER thought about making flowers with it!!!!!! ](*,)
Back to try again today!!

Ashtonjewels 2008-09-07 6:33am

LOL!! Debbie, there ain't nuttin wrong with big beads!!! I know what you mean though. When I first started making this style of beads they always turned out larger than I wanted them to. Once you get a little practice, you should be able to scale everything down a little bit. I'm glad that you are enjoying the tutorial!!

bellavistaglass 2008-09-10 8:13pm

Oh it looks beautiful. Just ordered mine:-D
Getting excited!
Cheers,
Patricia

Elleth 2008-09-10 8:39pm

Patricia you are going to love this tutorial!
Here are a few more that I made the other day, I'm still having issues with the ends, but I'm sure with a bit more ppp I'll get it down.
These are fun to make!

bellavistaglass 2008-09-10 9:32pm

Oh Maggie ,
Those are gorgeous!!!!!! Well done!
Mine just came. feels like Christmas,
Cheers,
Patricia

Ashtonjewels 2008-09-11 5:41am

Beautiful work Maggie!!

bellavistaglass 2008-09-12 9:27am

1 Attachment(s)
Oh, I loved the tut, I am going to try to put a pic in but have never done that and my picture taking skills are really bad but here goes...
Hmmm. that didn't work...

Yay! That one did..Took me way longer to post this than making the bead but...My first picture.
Thanks again!
Cheers,
Patricia

Ashtonjewels 2008-09-13 6:55am

Way to go Patricia!! You did a fantastic job on the bead and the picture!

A_Glass_Bash 2008-09-16 1:48am

I can only say as someone who drools over you beads, if I thought there was a hope in this world that my bead would turn out 1/3 that good I'd be all over it.. maybe after the first of the year.. LOL PPPPPPPPPPPPP is what I need

Aurore 2008-09-16 8:17pm

1 Attachment(s)
Lydia, your Tutorial is awesome, thanks so much for sharing it ! This is my forth bead made with it ... my three others were sitting on my work tray at the markets last week and some gals spotted them and wanted them ... they really were not going to be for sale but .... they talked me into it ! Of course I didn't get pics of them #-o

Ashtonjewels 2008-09-17 7:05am

Thank you Arlene!! I know you'll do beautifully!! Blech, PPP!!! I've been making perfume bottles for the last two weeks. I think I'm going to go nuts! I keep telling myself that the lost glass and time will be worth it but I'm not so convinced. lol

Aurore, that's music to my ears! Congrats on your sales!! Your bead is beautiful, thanks for sharing it!!

chrissy 2008-09-22 9:53am

great beads!!

Here are some of my first attemps:

Will be making a pendant from this one

Sorry for hogging:hide:

Ashtonjewels 2008-09-23 6:06pm

Christina, those are beautiful!! I love the color combinations too. Thanks for sharing them!! :-)