Lampwork Etc.

Lampwork Etc. (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boro Room (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=54)
-   -   boro twisties (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=238530)

glassymom 2013-01-18 8:06pm

boro twisties

Hi
not sure if thats what you call them in boro but wanted to ask if its the same idea as making them in soft glass or do I need to watch for anything? encase, not encase, put over clear...........anything?
I want to try making some but hate to screw things up
should I stay away from certain colors?
thanks for your help
sue

MagpieGlass 2013-01-18 9:42pm

Awe shucks play.

Most twisties in boro start on a base of clear. Not that they have to its just color is expensive and tends to be dense and doesn't take alot to get neat effects.

Some colors love to be encased ... others not so much.

Alot of sparkle colors do not like deep encasing or long garages.

I typically use a 10 to 12 mm rod and stripe it about 2" down it with several colors, heat it a section at a time ... boro stiffens up alot faster than 104 (I tend to work in and out of the flame as I twist).

You'd be surprised at the really neat effects you can get with just taking NS Blue Moon, putting some stripes of clear on it ... melt and twist then make a bead and encase.

And there is no such thing as screwing up ... it's all good and experimentation. Don't like it the first time ... add some other colors and repull it down.

istandalone24/7 2013-01-19 6:54am

what she said lol.

but i've been playing with making zanfircio style canes in boro lately...taking 12mm heating the piss out of it and squashing it flat, building a color stripe/s and then adding another squashed 12mm on top, then case the sides so it's got a uniform amount of clear around it. heat, pull + twist, and serve piping hot. (well, heat, pull + twist, anneal but i'm a smartass at 9am)

Three Muses Glass 2013-01-19 8:34am

Pretty much what Laura said. I like to take a 10mm or so and coat it with an opaque WYSISYG first and layer on top of that. I have many, many color combos that should not have been used together IMO! But I can't tell you what they were because I've only recently started to write the good ones down.
If you can get hold of a Doug Remschneider Boro Bead recipe book or DVD there are really good things in there. I don't get his holds and anneals but ymmv.
Oh and if you can take a class with Brent Graber, the way he does his is awesome.

glassymom 2013-01-19 9:06am

Thanks everyone!!
Rebecca I could kick myself for not taking a class with brent while he was living here in FL,
it was just never in the cards ......oh well.

Some great info, I will have fun playing! I did make one, took clear, striped with different unmarked colors and then put clear in between the stripes and then heated and twisted, it came out REALLY cool in a marble. I'm excited to try more!
thanks

istandalone24/7 2013-01-19 9:52am

making canes is so addicting! latticino and zanfircio style, i could make cane all day w/o using it and still be having so much fun!

post some pics, i'd love to see them.

octarockstudio 2013-01-19 9:41pm

boro twisties . i know of 1 of heard of is the wingwag use in boro colour tubing

glassymom 2013-01-20 10:04pm

I shall. istandalone, what is your name? It would be easier to respond. :)

I like making soft glass ones.....never use them tho LOL
The boro ones I believe I will use, at least I'm hoping I will
sue

istandalone24/7 2013-01-21 8:19am

hello my name is Mike, and i'm an alcoholic.

oh wait, wrong group lol.

deb tarry 2013-01-21 9:32am

Wrong addiction Mike. :) but an addiction none the less.

istandalone24/7 2013-01-21 10:06am

lol.
not really an alcoholic (don't even drink) i just thought it was funny.

deb tarry 2013-01-21 3:01pm

It is funny Mike. :)

castaway 2013-01-21 10:41pm

1 Attachment(s)
twisties in boro are not that hard you just have to work out how to make them, these are boro and are made in about 600mm lengths.

Dog Squeez 2013-01-24 1:47pm

If you can do it with soft glass you can do it with boro. It just takes more heat and
costs more.

Elizabeth Beads 2013-01-24 1:58pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by castaway (Post 4219609)
twisties in boro are not that hard you just have to work out how to make them, these are boro and are made in about 600mm lengths.

Wow. Beautiful.

glassymom 2013-01-24 2:22pm

1 Attachment(s)
Lol mike! :)
Cast away those are awesome!

I tried two........but only one pic worked. Quickie with my phone once it cooled

patienthand 2013-01-26 8:54am

one thing you have to watch for in boro is devitrification. when you make a twisty, if you keep twisting when the glass is too cool it will get a frosted look in places.. that devitrification. a sharp flame will get rid of it. you know I am local and always willing to help.. just contact me.. I am set up for 2 in my shop

BellaBean 2013-01-26 11:29am

Quote:

Originally Posted by patienthand (Post 4224206)
one thing you have to watch for in boro is devitrification. when you make a twisty, if you keep twisting when the glass is too cool it will get a frosted look in places.. that devitrification. a sharp flame will get rid of it. you know I am local and always willing to help.. just contact me.. I am set up for 2 in my shop

I wish I lived closer! I'd take you up on that in a heartbeat. You are a fountain if knowledge!

Iwantonetoo 2013-01-26 2:09pm

glassymom, that looks pretty nice!!!

istandalone24/7 2013-01-26 2:12pm

here's a couple i made a few weeks ago.

LarryC 2013-01-27 12:32am

Quote:

Originally Posted by patienthand (Post 4224206)
one thing you have to watch for in boro is devitrification.

well, not really. Glass Devit is different. This is more like a stretch mark. It happens when the glass has skinned.