Lampwork Etc.

Lampwork Etc. (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/index.php)
-   Torch Questions (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=55)
-   -   GTT torch settings??? (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17481)

jokersdesign 2006-03-23 1:04pm

GTT torch settings???

Hello,

I was wondering if those of you that use a GTT torch or have used a GTT torch could tell me what torch you used and what Gas and Oxygen settings you used?

Also does anybody know what GTT officially recommends for setting for each one of their torches?

Mr. Smiley 2006-03-23 3:19pm

Would be nice to have the stats on a website, but they don't... The Mirage should be set at 35 PSI Oxygen and 6-7 PSI propane. Other than that one torch, I have no friggin clue. :lol:

jokersdesign 2006-03-23 4:17pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Smiley
Would be nice to have the stats on a website, but they don't... The Mirage should be set at 35 PSI Oxygen and 6-7 PSI propane. Other than that one torch, I have no friggin clue. :lol:

Yeah Mr. Smiley,

I wish GTT and other would post their torch stats on they websites like Bethlehem does. http://www.bethlehemburners.com/

I emailed GTT about the Phantom and Mirage settings and the sent an email back with these settings.

Phantom
Gas = 8-10 psi Oxygen = 25 psi

Mirage
Gas = 10 psi Oxygen = 30-35 psi

I thought that these setting where high even for GTT torches so I wanted other GTT users to share what settings they got their GTT torch set at.

Another question, why are GTT torches setting so much higher then other torches?

kbinkster 2006-03-23 6:07pm

GTT sends an instruction sheet with each new torch and the recommended settings are listed on it. The big torches (Phantom on up) also come with a video.

The settings are higher because the orifices are smaller, thus requiring higher pressures to force gas and oxy out. They do not use more fuel or oxygen, they just need it pushed through at a higher pressure.

When I run my Phantom, I run the propane at about 8 psi and the oxygen at 25 psi. It is safe to run higher pressures. The valves are very high quality.

paintingwithglass 2006-03-24 12:14am

I run my GTT torch between 8- 10 psi for propane and anywhere from 30-40 psi oxygen...and I only work with soft glass.

boroburner 2006-03-24 8:47am

I run my mirage between 5-10ish propane and 25-35PSI oxy, depending on which colors im using, and the flame enviroment i want.

EndlessEverything 2013-08-20 4:12pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by kbinkster (Post 401948)
GTT sends an instruction sheet with each new torch and the recommended settings are listed on it. The big torches (Phantom on up) also come with a video.

The settings are higher because the orifices are smaller, thus requiring higher pressures to force gas and oxy out. They do not use more fuel or oxygen, they just need it pushed through at a higher pressure.

When I run my Phantom, I run the propane at about 8 psi and the oxygen at 25 psi. It is safe to run higher pressures. The valves are very high quality.

My phantom came with an instruction sheet that only had instructions for torches with 30+ jets. It said to run my torch on 35 psi oxy and 12 psi propane. I just recently started to question my setup and started doing research. I changed my torch to 25 psi oxy and 8 psi propane and now it seems to run much better. I probably wasted a ton of oxy since I bought it. Hopefully in the future GTT will post correct information online or at least not send misleading information with their torches.

kbinkster 2013-08-20 6:28pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by EndlessEverything (Post 4387982)
My phantom came with an instruction sheet that only had instructions for torches with 30+ jets. It said to run my torch on 35 psi oxy and 12 psi propane. I just recently started to question my setup and started doing research. I changed my torch to 25 psi oxy and 8 psi propane and now it seems to run much better. I probably wasted a ton of oxy since I bought it. Hopefully in the future GTT will post correct information online or at least not send misleading information with their torches.

Here is the instruction sheet for the Phantom, Mirage, and Delta Elite posted on GTT's website:
http://www.glasstorchtech.com/Instru...%20Phantom.pdf

Yeah, I see where it says 30-60 jets. That is a little confusing, and I'll mention it to them, but it isn't misleading. The pressures they have listed are what they recommend for the Phantom. It can run on lower pressure or on higher pressure.

I was running mine at a lower pressure back then (2006, when this thread was first posted) just because that's where I liked it. I run my propane at around 10 psi or higher, now. Some people run Phantoms with much higher pressures.

Basically, when you run low pressures, you have to open the torch valves more to let a given volume of gas in to the torch. When the pressures are set higher, you don't have to move the valves as much to let that same volume of gas in, the valves are more responsive.

You aren't going to automatically use more or less gas based on your pressure settings, alone. How much gas you use is determined by how much you let through the torch with your valves - what kind of flame you're running. If you were to open your torch valves all the way, then running a higher pressure would put more gas through your torch than running a lower pressure.

istandalone24/7 2013-08-21 11:03am

actually with the phantom having 22 jets, and that note referring to torches with 30-60 jets, misleading is exactly what that statement is.
for that kind of coin, each torch should come with specific instructions/requirments, especially since many first time blowers get gtt's and are clueless.

considering who you are married to, i don't see you agreeing with me on that.

Ed_Slawson 2013-08-21 12:30pm

We run our Kobuki at 50-60 psi on oxy, and between 6-12 psi on the propane.

kbinkster 2013-08-21 6:15pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by istandalone24/7 (Post 4388488)
actually with the phantom having 22 jets, and that note referring to torches with 30-60 jets, misleading is exactly what that statement is.
for that kind of coin, each torch should come with specific instructions/requirments, especially since many first time blowers get gtt's and are clueless.

considering who you are married to, i don't see you agreeing with me on that.

I don't believe that the instruction sheet is misleading. Misleading would be if it would not work with the torch or would be a bad setting for it. That's not the case. The main difference between 35/10 and 25/8 is valve responsiveness and that is a user preference. You could run the propane down at 2 psi, if you want.

Whom I'm married to has nothing to do with my opinion, but my understanding of how torches work, particularly GTTs, does. (not said with a snarky tone, btw)

ETA: I think the reason that the two-stage torches share an instruction sheet is that the pressure settings provide enough flow to feed all of those torches. It's a blanket suggestion because the user can adjust the pressures to suit their working styles. As long as you have enough pressure to run a safe, usable flame and get what you want out of the torch flame-wise, you're good.

Running pressures at the high end isn't going to burn through more fuel and oxygen. The flame you run dictates the consumption.