Lampwork Etc.

Lampwork Etc. (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/index.php)
-   Free Tutorials (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=77)
-   -   Amber Rose Recipe (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39267)

lldesigns 2006-11-18 10:08am

Amber Rose Recipe

For anyone interested, a collaboration of creative minds came up with the recipe for the much sought Amber Rose.

Moretti transparent lavender blue #082

Moretti transparent straw yellow #049

In the picture I used an almost 1:1 ratio with a bit more of the lavender blue. In the next batch I will be trying more of a 3:2 ratio. You get the picture. Now that you know what to mix, play around and see what you get.

Left: real thing. Right: recipe.

*Naos* 2006-11-18 10:10am

Laurie, this is just so stinkin' cool!!!!! YOU ROCK!

lldesigns 2006-11-18 12:40pm

I forgot to thank Courtney for her contribution. She came up with the straw yellow suggestion and that's what made it work - thanks Courtney!

I wanted to include a quick tut on mixing. I use my 1/8 mandrels and punty cut lengths of glass to them using whichever ratio I want. I then heat the glass on each mandrel into a gather and smoosh them together then slowly stretch and fold the glass until it's well incorporated. Actually it's not so much of a fold as I try to slide the glass over itself to avoid making too many bubbles. When I feel that it's mixed properly I pull the gather into a rod/stringer. That's it.

Hey, I just saw that this tutorial got 5 stars - Yipee - thanks!!! :fireblob:

cadia 2006-11-18 1:33pm

Very cool !
~Amber Rose~ is one of those colors I'd eat if I could ! YUM!

Venessa 2006-11-18 2:31pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by lldesigns (Post 856492)
I forgot to thank Courtney for her contribution. She came up with the straw yellow suggestion and that's what made it work - thanks Courtney!

I wanted to include a quick tut on mixing. I use my 1/8 mandrels and punty cut lengths of glass to them using whichever ratio I want. I then heat the glass on each mandrel into a gather and smoosh them together then slowly stretch and fold the glass until it's well incorporated. Actually it's not so much of a fold as I try to slide the glass over itself to avoid making too many bubbles. When I feel that it's mixed properly I pull the gather into a rod/stringer. That's it.

Hey, I just saw that this tutorial got 5 stars - Yipee - thanks!!! :fireblob:

Hehe, I figured with all the work, you really deserved five stars!!

Lara 2006-11-18 10:17pm

I like the new color in the photo better thn the old. Too bad satraw is the one new new color I don't have.

joolgirl40 2006-11-19 9:51am

I've never been able to get my hands on any of the coveted amber rose rods, so I'm thrilled to know I can duplicate it.

Thanks so much!
Benet

Megan 2006-11-19 10:57am

I actually like the new mix better than the original in the photo also.. Such a pretty color..

Andie's Glass 2006-11-19 3:17pm

Laurie,

Awesome! Thank you, thank you, thank you. One of my favorite colors! You've just kept me from spending WAY too much money and hours looking for more.

lldesigns 2006-11-19 5:34pm

Thanks everyone!!! :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

I've gotten so much from this community and it feels great to finally give something back.

Michelle Walsh 2006-11-19 8:14pm

Reason #457 that I love you people!!!

~Michelle

msritaa 2006-11-19 10:08pm

Laurie, thank you! I can't wait to try this. Very generous of you to share your secret.

GinnyHampton 2006-11-20 3:02pm

. . .. . . adding straw yellow to my glass stock-up list :)

Thank you for sharing this info, it's awesome!!!!

Lara 2006-11-21 5:43pm

1 Attachment(s)
Ok, I made my own mix after Laurie's sharing. I don't have straw yellow. When it came out I could barely tell the difference between the straw yellow and the Trans. Lt Brown, so I choose to go with the brown.

My mix is with 1:1 Lavendar Blu 062 and Trans. Lt. Brown 018. The bead on the left is the orginal and the bead on the right is the mix. ACK the bubbles. I would like to say that all the bubbles is because I was concentrating on color, not avoiding bubbles. Gosh, it doesn't look that bad in person. :) Please excuse the bead poop too.

I never would have put these two colors together before. Thanks Laurie!

lldesigns 2006-11-21 6:14pm

Wow - great job Lara!!! We have another way to make Amber Rose!

Ever After 2006-11-21 8:40pm

I made my own too, pretty much the same recipe only light violet, the one that looks more pink than pink, and light amber,
I think they are prettier than the original, a lil bit richer?
xo Laurie

whispering beads 2006-11-21 8:59pm

WoW thanks Ladies...I cant wait till morning so I can torch..before all the cooking prep work I need to do....My sons birthday is tommorow so I have to make his favorite supper and prepare some things for Thursday. too..I guess I will get up extra early....to cook these colors up.....
have a nice Thanksgiving....oh, and thanks for giving....
Denise

beadlvr 2006-11-21 9:41pm

Tell your son Happy Birthday, Denise...my daughter's birthday is tomorrow also :) she'll be 10..My Thanksgiving baby :)

Mitosis Glass 2010-08-06 7:43am

Reviving this thread for anyone who might be interested. :D Thanks for this recipe -- I can't wait to try it!

Holly'sFolly 2010-08-06 12:01pm

What does "punty cut" mean??? How do you attach the color rod to the mandrels???

lldesigns 2010-08-06 2:49pm

I didn't explain it very well. It should have said attach a cut length of glass to your punty. To attach the glass to the mandrel you need to heat the end of the mandrel nice and hot - I heat it until it glows. While you're doing that you should be heating the end of glass as well. When both are hot, push the mandrel tip into the glass until it's well seated.

I hope that makes more sense.

Reenie 2010-08-06 3:11pm

I like Laurie's color better then the original!

bastetsbeads 2010-08-09 11:27am

I agree! I've been wanting to take some time to try her instructions for the mix.

PerfectDeb 2010-08-09 6:30pm

whoever would have guessed that blue and yellow make pink :lol:

asimeral 2010-08-09 7:57pm

Yeah, logically those would be green!

Regardless of that, I want to make some of this too!

Quote:

Originally Posted by PerfectDeb (Post 3155338)
whoever would have guessed that blue and yellow make pink :lol:

lampworklady 2010-08-09 9:06pm

I saved myself a little stash of amber rose to make something for ME [ it never happens], and now I can't find it, so I'm very excited to try this mix in the morning. Thanks so much.

PaulaD 2010-08-26 5:13pm

Awesome!!!

zen-mom 2012-02-16 9:56pm

Ha ha! Awesome. I was on a quest to find some of the newer batch that they made trying to replicate the original Amber Rose. Now I can just make my own. I won't worry too much about bubbles since I plan on etching the beads anyway. Yay!

carolinesbeads 2012-05-06 11:44pm

bump

zen-mom 2012-05-07 10:00am

That's so weird, I was just telling someone about this exact recipe last night. :)

Thanks for the bump! :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by carolinesbeads (Post 3989921)
bump