Lampwork Etc.

Lampwork Etc. (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/index.php)
-   Studio (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Basement Studio Set-up (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=286398)

AmorphousDesigns 2016-03-25 3:58pm

Basement Studio Set-up

Finally getting my basement studio together

BEFORE

AFTER CLEAN UP AND BENCH BUILD
I found a set of old kitchen base cabinets off Craigslist, topped with 4' x 8' sheet of plywood, then cement backerboard, then topped it all off with a piece of hardboard (this will be the sacrificial surface to be replaced when it gets too ugly)

Hood 3' x 3' x 2' (also off Craigslist, someone used it before for venting a garage beer making set up). It came pre-stickered, the guy selling it told me at least 3x "it has cool stickers", which, in retrospect, was his way of trying to tell me (a straight looking middle aged woman) that it has Cannabis related stickers all over it, LOL.

and brand new fan, Fantech FKD 10xl (10"), ~1200 CFM, 115V
http://www.fantech.net/FKD-10-XL_enus-40013.aspx

Next steps
Ducting and mounting hood and fan to basement window. I'm not looking forward to this step as I have no idea how to dismount the window and attach a plywood piece. It's a metal frame, hopper style window set into the concrete. I think I can remove the whole movable part of the window and then maybe use sheet metal screws to attach plywood to the metal frame?

Speedslug 2016-03-25 9:02pm

You might be better off removing one ( or both ) of the glass panes and leaving the metal frame intact.

You can use a variety of methods for tying the ducting onto the metal frame from simple small C clamps through holes in plywood replacing the glass panes or perhaps some under counter sink clamps.

I can see that it is a window well so you will want to continue the duct work up a few feet above the ground level so the wind will keep the particulates from concentrating in a small spot.

Since you will have duct work on both side of the metal frame you can use a variety of "through the wall" exhaust ducting already manufactured for standard furnace flues and such.

Be sure to make certain that you have make-up air coming in from one of the other windows and if your are ambitious you could duct it to come up under your torch area so you won't be pulling heat out of the house or pulling furnace fumes backwards down the chimney.

Speedslug 2016-03-25 9:09pm

Oh and those orange based gum removers work pretty good on stickers as does the classic Goo Gone.

AmorphousDesigns 2016-03-25 10:35pm

Great advice, thanks Phill!

houptdavid 2016-03-29 6:10pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by AmorphousDesigns (Post 4838262)

Hood 3' x 3' x 2' (also off Craigslist, someone used it before for venting a garage beer making set up). It came pre-stickered, the guy selling it told me at least 3x "it has cool stickers", which, in retrospect, was his way of trying to tell me (a straight looking middle aged woman) that it has Cannabis related stickers all over it, LOL.

Well then start making pipes :lol: :lol: :lol:

AmorphousDesigns 2016-03-30 12:50pm

I can't wait to start making ANYTHING! It's been a couple of years since we moved and no torch for me :(

AmorphousDesigns 2016-03-31 4:39pm

Had a "tinner" friend do the install, he took the whole "hopper" part of the window off, nailed the plywood straight into the metal frame and painted over the edges with some kind of putty like goop.

artwhim 2016-04-01 8:43pm

That looks excellent! Nice score on Craigslist, even with stickers. Sounds like he was sad to let the stickers go.

AmorphousDesigns 2016-04-12 11:58am

ready to melt!

bepnewt 2016-04-12 12:07pm

Very nice.

Oops, forgot about the hood...

Uh, FAR OUT!

-BEP

Speedslug 2016-04-12 11:30pm

Back in the day I remember that the phrase was probably "Bitch'n Man!" and "Out'a sight!"

artsyuno 2016-04-25 7:15pm

Nice! Happy melting.

anniekuhndesigns 2016-05-23 6:44pm

This is so impressive. That fan is amazing. I'm working on my studio set up for teaching and have lots of questions.

jhana 2016-06-14 2:31am

That looks great!

Vicki Gough 2016-06-14 5:51am

NICE!!