Lampwork Etc.

Lampwork Etc. (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/index.php)
-   Tips, Techniques, and Questions (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Concentrator Question (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=232460)

SilverRiverJewelry 2012-09-29 5:44pm

Concentrator Question

So, I am saving up for a second concentrator. I have a 5lpm(not sure if the initials are right buy you know what I mean I hope lol). I have a cricket and usually work with 104 coe. However, I would also like to start to seriously work with boro. I can melt boro but lets just say that it takes a wee bit longer than I would like it to and making anything bigger than a normal bead becomes an exercise in frustration.

My question is, would it be better to buy a 10 lpn and hook the two together, or just buy a 15 and just run one? Would it make a difference as far as the pull on the electric?

SilverRiverJewelry 2012-10-01 9:26am

Anyone

pretties 2012-10-01 9:53am

I think I remember someone saying they have to be the same capacity. I used 2 5 lpm's on a Cricket and they worked very well. I got a Scorpion and it works great with the 2 5lpm's also.

SilverRiverJewelry 2012-10-01 11:06am

Okay thank you!

LeahBeads 2012-10-01 11:45am

I have two 5lpm concentrators hooked up that I use when I work boro. I have a bobcat, though, so I don't know if the torch difference would affect anything.

You can definitely use two 5lpm concentrators.

Leah

Ravenesque 2012-10-01 12:27pm

Sorry for butting in but I have the same questions, so what about just buying one that = the two like she asked?

I have to buy a new one regardless and was thinking of just getting a 10 rather than 2 5s ??

Role 2012-10-01 12:37pm

The original poster is confusing PSI and LPM.

LPM is the amount of oxygen the unit produces, PSI is the pressure that
the oxygen is being pushed from the machine to the torch.

When coupling concentrators together the LPM does not matter, it is the
PSI of the unit that matters.

A 10 LPM machine can be coupled with a 5 LPM machine as long as the PSI is the same.

You will need to specify brand and model to find out if they are compatible.

Concentrators from companies like Unlimited Oxygen have been modified
to have higher than normal PSI, you will have problems if you try to
connect a low pressure concentrator to a modified one with higher PSI.

SilverRiverJewelry 2012-10-02 7:43am

Thank you for clarifying. I knew what I meant, I just didn't know how to say it!

So I guess my question then is, should I just buy a 10 or 15 lpm concentrator and be done with it?

2xMI 2012-10-02 7:57am

I'd keep the 5lpm as a spare/backup and go to one 15 rather than running 2 machines. At least, that's what I did, and am happy with the decision. Less noise and less space taken up by one machine vs two...

Haven't worked on a cricket, though; I use either a mini CC or a mega minor. You might want to check the manufacturer's specs for the cricket and see if there is any guidance there.

Mimi

SilverRiverJewelry 2012-10-02 8:07am

Thanks Mimi! Crickets are made specifically to work well with concentrators which is one of the reasons I bought it. I knew I wanted to play with boro at some point and didn't want to deal with oxygen tanks.