Lampwork Etc.

Lampwork Etc. (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/index.php)
-   Beads of Courage (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=74)
-   -   Act of Courage Beads Needed (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=206231)

RSimmons 2011-09-21 7:08am

Act of Courage Beads Needed

I heard yesterday that we're running pretty low on Act of Courage beads for the kids. As the programs have become very popular here in the US we've seen an increased need for beads. If you've got a stash of beads that you don't know what to do with, send 'em on over to us - we can put them to very good use. I'll be de-stashing again myself this weekend. The mailing address is:

10501 E. Seven Generations Way
Suite 161
Tucson AZ 85747

If you go the the Bead Artists page on our web site:

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

and look about half way down the page there is a downloadable form that you can include in with your beads that will help us get a receipt and an Thank You back out to you in a timely fashion.

Thanks very much for all you do!

Robert

Eileen 2011-09-21 7:52am

I've only got about 35, but I'll make more this weekend & get them out Mon or Tues.

alb6094 2011-09-21 9:43am

Ah Richard, I just sent in a bunch, didn't know about the form, I'm sorry. I don't need a receipt anyway. I'll be sure to use it the next time.

I'll do my best to get some more beads done next week, I want to try some of the ones Diane has been putting up in Soda Lime Times and I'll make some more fishies.

Bluejeangirlnc 2011-09-21 10:02am

Just sent a part of my stash and got my thank you letter already. I :love: BOC

alb6094 2011-09-21 10:42am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bluejeangirlnc (Post 3718308)
Just sent a part of my stash and got my thank you letter already. I :love: BOC

Everyone there is so awesome, there's so much work involved! It makes me happy to think about all those kids playing with beads. :D

Elizabeth Beads 2011-09-21 10:55am

I'll get some mailed today, tomorrow at the latest. :)

RSimmons 2011-09-21 12:33pm

As much as the kids love the beads the positive effect on the parents is truly amazing. The whole family benefits. I've been a volunteer for over 6 years now and am still excited about BoC.
Thank you for donating your gas, glass, time and the heart that you all put into your work.

Robert

lldesigns 2011-09-21 2:28pm

I can't tell you the satisfaction I feel when I send off a batch of beads! Being a cancer survivor myself this is a cause that's very close to my heart.

alb6094 2011-09-21 2:53pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by lldesigns (Post 3718617)
I can't tell you the satisfaction I feel when I send off a batch of beads! Being a cancer survivor myself this is a cause that's very close to my heart.

I understand this. I used to work in Oncology (adults) so it has special meaning for me too. I made this big clear bead with transparent glass frit in rainbow colors. I held it up to the light and the colors reflected off the wall when the sun shone through it and I thought, "Somewhere a child is going to do this" and it made me so happy. :D There's nothing like doing something for someone else to make you feel amazing, nothing. I'm totally addicted. :lol:

one-eared pig 2011-09-21 7:18pm

On Saturday, our local W MI group is renting the local glass society and making beads for BOC all day. I will be posting pics of the event, and I'll make a thread for here to show all the goodies!

donutking1 2011-09-23 4:52pm

Been saving up for a donation, only have about 100, but if you need them now, will send tomorrow.

RSimmons 2011-09-24 7:06am

Quote:

Originally Posted by donutking1 (Post 3721981)
Been saving up for a donation, only have about 100, but if you need them now, will send tomorrow.

That's a pretty good sized donation. We never, ever have too many Act of Courage beads on hand and 100 beads will make a lot of kids happy.
Thanks very much,
Robert

Eileen 2011-09-25 10:20am

Robert, I have a question.

I have a few beads with glow in the dark decoration, one of them doesn't really glow that well, the other one is more promising from what I can tell (I bought some shorts to use, and the dark blue one doesn't glow as well as the lighter colors I guess). Anyway, should I mark the one that seems to glow best as "glows" or anything?
Is it a problem for the other 2 that they have some supposedly glowing glass in them?

If I get out there tomorrow there will be a few more, but if not, these will be on the way by Tuesday, I hope they make some children smile. And if they want to toss out that flesh tone with blue worms, fine by me, LOL, but maybe they can use it for something.

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

ThatFritGirl 2011-09-25 10:54am

Robert, I just packed up my latest batch of frit challenge beads... 485 beads are on their way!!!!\\:D/

Eileen 2011-09-25 11:48am

WOW~!

ThatFritGirl 2011-09-25 11:59am

Remember, these are beads submitted for the frit challenge that I host. Lots of players!!! Now it's time to start filling a new box!!!!!:lol:

Elizabeth Beads 2011-09-25 12:18pm

I put about 130 beads in the mail last week (lost count, so the number is give or take ...)

Already started a new bowl with the ones I meant to send but forgot ... ;)

donutking1 2011-09-27 9:49am

OK, beads went out Saturday....total of 174 after wife donated a lot of her pairs she didn't want to take time to match up with others. Will start making more next week for sometime in future.

RSimmons 2011-09-27 11:41am

Thanks everyone for all of the great donations!

robert

Eileen 2011-09-27 1:49pm

My 43 went Priority today. I didn't do tracking or anything, but for the future ~ is there any need? I figure if they don't get there, there isn't anything to be done about it anyway.

RSimmons 2011-09-27 1:54pm

I don't generally pay for tracking when I send out batches unless there is something very special/unusual on board.

Thanks for the beads!

Robert

LoriGreenberg 2011-09-27 6:08pm

Hi Everyone.

Just a tidbit here:

When hospitals "re-order" (Act of Courage beads are no charge) they get Act of Courage beads in packages of 30, I think. They can order multiple packages and different size programs order different numbers. Of course, there is a limit per order since there needs to be enough for everyone.

So, for every 30 beads you send, you are fulfilling one package of an order. So, 100 beads beads does a lot to fulfill their refills!

alb6094 2011-09-27 7:43pm

Just read this Lori, after I packed mine up. I'm sending 25 which is all I have on hand right now and a couple of wooden animal beads I found when I was scrounging for any acceptable extras I had rolling around. I made Halloween beads on Sunday but I'm kinda slow at character beads so I was only able to make 14. DH says my ghosties look like albino octopii, lol, but hopefully they'll find some love somewhere.

I'll get a new bunch started this weekend!

speedingpullet 2011-09-27 7:50pm

I'm doing a market this weekend, so any I don't sell I'm more than happy to donate. I have a bucket of them....

Though, they are all fugly orphan beads that only a mother could love. Just saying'...

But if you can find a use for them, they're yours.

RSimmons 2011-09-28 6:05am

We can use them, fuglies are often very popular.

Thanks,
Robert