Lampwork Etc.

Lampwork Etc. (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/index.php)
-   Tips, Techniques, and Questions (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Wax for graphite rollers? (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=240664)

KJohn 2013-02-22 9:14pm

Wax for graphite rollers?

I recently heard this recommended on one of the sites that sell rollers, although they were brass ones. They said to use it for the more complicated graphite rollers too, like the ribbed ones. Does anyone use wax for these?

ohbeads 2013-02-22 9:39pm

I bet it is bee's wax...

hyperT 2013-02-22 9:54pm

Bees wax and Aquadag will recondition grafite tools

KJohn 2013-02-24 6:48am

Thanks for your responses.
I think it is beeswax. They didn't mean reconditioning, unless you do it in-between uses? Would you need it to use the roller itself well, like a ribbed roller?

hyperT 2013-02-24 7:04am

Quote:

Originally Posted by KJohn (Post 4250777)
Thanks for your responses.
I think it is beeswax. They didn't mean reconditioning, unless you do it in-between uses? Would you need it to use the roller itself well, like a ribbed roller?

No aquadag is used to recondition worn out graphite tools, to resurface it. After long term use where graphite is subjected to heat or direct flame it will become granular on the surface. Aquadag will fill the surface back in and make it smooth as new. If you ever need it you can get it from Wale Apparatus. I think you need bees wax
for what you want to do. I just threw aquadag in for reconditioning graphite tools as wel.

Have fun, Wayne

KJohn 2013-02-24 8:09am

Wayne, I have never heard that about graphite at all! I'll have to keep an eye on the rollers I have now then. Thanks so much!

hyperT 2013-02-24 8:13am

Quote:

Originally Posted by KJohn (Post 4250820)
Wayne, I have never heard that about graphite at all! I'll have to keep an eye on the rollers I have now then. Thanks so much!

But you have heard of pencil lead it's the same stuff. I dont think you will have to worry bout your rollers for a very long time if they are not in direct heat with the fire.

KJohn 2013-02-24 8:16am

True, but I don't tend to smoke them.

(sorry, couldn't resist)

hyperT 2013-02-24 8:19am

Quote:

Originally Posted by KJohn (Post 4250826)
True, but I don't tend to smoke them.

(sorry, couldn't resist)

I don't really know what kind of rollers you have or how you are going to use them. But if you use any graphite shaping tools they can get grainy. Trust me you will know when they need to be reconditioned just by looking at them. Probably scientific or industrial glassblowers would have do that more than most lampworkers.

Ravenesque 2013-02-25 3:04am

I have heard of using beeswax on brass etc to help with shaping. Never have used it myself.

There's loads of threads here on it, I'd link but I'm on my Iphone and it's hard to search here on it :)