Lampwork Etc.

Lampwork Etc. (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boro Room (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=54)
-   -   Torch advise (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=304462)

Mina 2018-01-27 8:10am

Torch advise

I want to make boro pieces similar in size to glass pens. Which torch would you recommend and why? I have a two-tank homefill system in place. I fill my tanks to 1000 cu. I'm currently working on a mini cc but I'm having a hard time melting a large enough boro gather to make the pen.

Three Muses Glass 2018-01-27 1:12pm

I make all my pens with the center fire of a Barracuda. They don't make them anymore, I guess the equivalent would be a Bravo. The only reason for why is because I like Beth torches. I have too many bad habits to switch to GTT now. :-\"
You could always make smaller sections and weld them together with your mini.

Mina 2018-01-27 4:40pm

Thanks. That is mostly what I am hearing...go with a Bravo

Speedslug 2018-01-27 5:20pm

Have you tried putting two torches together?

Just a thought. I am always chasing the cheaper possibilities.

Shaper 2018-01-29 12:24pm

A GTT Lynx will do what you need done. It has a hotter more driving flame than a beth, so it takes some getting used to. I started out on a beth then graduated to a GTT Phantom, now on a GTT Mirage and for small work and fuming use a Nortel Arrow.

KA 2018-01-30 5:11am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shaper (Post 4974364)
A GTT Lynx will do what you need done. It has a hotter more driving flame than a beth, so it takes some getting used to. I started out on a beth then graduated to a GTT Phantom, now on a GTT Mirage and for small work and fuming use a Nortel Arrow.

I am also on a Mirage+HVO system but am considering a Herbie so I can do fine detail work.

R4GlassStudio 2018-01-30 4:04pm

Bethlehem Stacked is the other version of the Bravo but for $575

R4GlassStudio 2018-01-30 4:08pm

Lynx is good, but flame width is limiting versus the bravo.the mirage is one of my favorite torches and I had one for 2 years. But, it is overkill for small pieces.

Mina 2018-01-30 8:26pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Three Muses Glass (Post 4973982)
I make all my pens with the center fire of a Barracuda. They don't make them anymore, I guess the equivalent would be a Bravo. The only reason for why is because I like Beth torches. I have too many bad habits to switch to GTT now. :-\"
You could always make smaller sections and weld them together with your mini.

I tried that with the mini. I cant get the glass hot enough to smooth it out. I was spinning the glass REALLY slow and it still didn't heat up enough.

Mina 2018-01-30 8:28pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by R4GlassStudio (Post 4974618)
Bethlehem Stacked is the other version of the Bravo but for $575

I was wondering about that one...would it get hot enough? I read it is somewhere in between an alpha and a bravo.

Mina 2018-01-30 8:29pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by R4GlassStudio (Post 4974620)
Lynx is good, but flame width is limiting versus the bravo.the mirage is one of my favorite torches and I had one for 2 years. But, it is overkill for small pieces.

That was my thought about the mirage as well. I don't need a huge hot flame, just something that will melt enough for a glass pen.

KA 2018-01-31 12:11am

You might consider a Carlisle Hellcat. It is the first torch I got after getting hooked on flameworking after using my wife’s Minor. My first instructor, Debbie Crowley, used one. They are so steampunk looking and reasonably priced. I see they have added a center fire add on

Mina 2018-01-31 9:32am

Quote:

Originally Posted by KA (Post 4974734)
You might consider a Carlisle Hellcat. It is the first torch I got after getting hooked on flameworking after using my wife’s Minor. My first instructor, Debbie Crowley, used one. They are so steampunk looking and reasonably priced. I see they have added a center fire add on

Deb has switched to bravo torches.

KA 2018-01-31 12:47pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mina (Post 4974772)
Deb has switched to bravo torches.

I have never used one. I assume they gave her a better sponsership deal for Glass Stock than she could get from Carlisle.

snoopdog6502 2018-05-09 10:52am

A mirage has little mid range fire, its a brute, I sold mine yesterday.

I like the size flame that's in the Phantom so I got a Kabuki last week. its so nice.

A phantom will make a solid clear marble of 2.3 inch in 40 minutes running oxygen concentrators.

The bravo is OK but that Alpha center fire is a bit weak. My woman was making her first beads with an alpha last night and she was less then thrilled with the power of the Alpha.

Im going to let her have my Cheetah, A cheetah will do a gather big enough for a pen with ease.

asiceloff 2018-05-10 5:37am

Can a Lynx or Cheetah run on OxyCons?

Okay --answered my own question via this old post: http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=202194

And after some more research ...looks like a scorpian might be the way to go with oxycon??

AuntD 2018-05-27 7:32am

Quote:

Originally Posted by asiceloff (Post 4988731)
Can a Lynx or Cheetah run on OxyCons?

Okay --answered my own question via this old post: http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=202194

And after some more research ...looks like a scorpian might be the way to go with oxycon??

I use a Scorpion with two 10 lpm oxycons for boro. You can do it with one 10 lpm oxycon, but I'm not that patient.

speedingpullet 2018-05-28 8:31am

I have a Scorpion running on a 10ml oxygen for the outer and a 5ml one for the inner ring.

I don't do much 104 glass anymore, but find the inner alone is enough to make reasonable sized beads. And with the outer on, its hot enough to make largish marbles - though as AuntD pointed out, it can take some time!