Lampwork Etc.

Lampwork Etc. (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/index.php)
-   Tips, Techniques, and Questions (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   How Many Colors - Soft Glass Only (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40288)

Marcy 2008-11-20 2:21pm

I couldn't find Wale's contest. Can you direct me?
thanks,
Marcy
ps I don't even have as many colors as you do of CIM.

lunamoonshadow 2008-11-20 2:58pm

It's in the sale rack...for a TP Masher.... http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=112129

Marcy 2008-11-20 3:08pm

Thanks so much. What a great prize. And no talent needed!
Marcy

krisb16 2008-11-20 6:32pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bgurden (Post 1529927)
there are drugs for this!

Yeah, but who wants to take them? :-k

I have at least one rod of every color I can find. I'm a glass 'ho. Haven't gotten around to trying them all, but I love the pretty colors. :biggrin:

Got to have more, gimme more!!!

PurpleCatJewels 2008-11-20 9:01pm

'Nuther glass ho' here...

As a newbie I have probably accumulated 81-100 different colors, in just 4 months.

I am LIMITING myself to 104 COE. I have such limited space.

~Rachelle :-D

parisgal 2008-11-20 9:06pm

I *wish* I could limit myself to one COE. But then I wouldn't have those love dark transparents, and some of those lovely sparkly colors, and that pink and that blue....

I have no willpower. And there has been so many new or odd colors in the past year and a half. :D

Jaterwunky 2008-11-20 9:16pm

My storage is buckling under the weight....... i probably have over 200lbs easy of glass
Is there a problem?????

parisgal 2008-11-21 2:57am

Yes, there's a problem. You've obviously been sold deficient storage. :D

lunamoonshadow 2008-11-22 6:51am

Quote:

Originally Posted by PurpleCatJewels (Post 2208616)
'Nuther glass ho' here...

As a newbie I have probably accumulated 81-100 different colors, in just 4 months.

I am LIMITING myself to 104 COE. I have such limited space.

You've obviously never gotten a good look at a bullseye catalog (coe 90) or taken a look at Gail's ( www.ggglass.com ) handpulled gaffer-based canes & duos (coe 96) have you? Colors to die for...and stuff you just can't FIND in 104....:badgrin::twisted: Even my younger brother who doesn't even melt glass thought Gail's cane looked amazing & wanted to know "how does she get those rings of color in there? that's cool!"

(and limited space? ROFL....my torch & everything that goes with it is in the corner of my bedroom....:lol:)

PurpleCatJewels 2008-11-22 12:51pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by lunamoonshadow (Post 2211524)
You've obviously never gotten a good look at a bullseye catalog (coe 90) or taken a look at Gail's ( www.ggglass.com ) handpulled gaffer-based canes & duos (coe 96) have you? Colors to die for...and stuff you just can't FIND in 104....:badgrin::twisted: Even my younger brother who doesn't even melt glass thought Gail's cane looked amazing & wanted to know "how does she get those rings of color in there? that's cool!"

(and limited space? ROFL....my torch & everything that goes with it is in the corner of my bedroom....:lol:)

I'm NOT listening...lalalalalalala (thumbs in ears, hands over eyes...)

SELSEY 2009-07-25 12:19am

Glass Ho

2 Attachment(s)
If you count the endless shades of coral and just effetre, vetrofond and CIM I have way over 200.

Here are pictures of the great soft glass storage that my son Chris made for me. It has lighting on each level making it easier to see the colors before I pull them. There are 3 sections and on the bottom of each section there are bigger cubbies for glass that I have mega amounts of like rubino, ink blue, periwinkle, copper green, opal yellow and the pinks. I love looking at how pretty it is, like a rainbow!

The tall area on the right hand side of the second picture is reserved for clear, white, black and ivory. The shallow wooden drawers that you see are frit drawers. Each drawer is just deep enough to hold one layer of frit jars and there are holes drilled in the bottom so that the jars drop down and hang by their lids. That way there is no shifting of the jars.

All of the Reichenback/Zimmerman/Bullseye and boro are in the same type of storage on another wall.

tasminann 2009-07-25 4:29am

Oh my, Sheryl, that is a GORGEOUS system. Your son needs to hire out to some of us!

I probably only have about 100 colors, as I tend to use a lot of the same ones over and over. Of course on the other hand I have several different whites, several different blacks, several different clears. *sigh*

Well, maybe over 100. But I really don't think I'm up to 200....yet. ;)

Humble newbie 2009-07-25 4:36am

Sheryl, sweet!!!

Elizabeth Beads 2009-07-25 5:56pm

300? :hide:

What do I win?

More glass I hope!

:)

overthere 2009-07-27 2:51pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by SELSEY (Post 2591410)

Here are pictures of the great soft glass storage that my son Chris made for me.

:shock:

*THUNK*

I've just started and besides a sampler of shorties and a trade of misc. rod for some polymer clay, I've ordered my first 3 colors. And one of those is white! Selsey, that looks like a museum display or something! Wow, I'd be totally overwhelmed and would probably just stand there and stare. Or drool, or something! lol.

PerfectDeb 2009-07-27 7:48pm

i have 60 slots and each one has at least 3 colours - some i only have one rod, so thats about 180ish

gallerygal 2009-07-28 10:14pm

Sheryl, I'm in awe! :grin:

What a fantastic set-up, you must love working with it!!

As for my glass collection....

I have a total of 444 colours from Vetrofond, Effetre (including filigrana, opalinos, alabasters, tubing, etc.), CIM, TAG, Precision, GTG, DH, ASK, Kugler 104, Bullseye, Caliente, Gaffer, Lauscha & Reichenbach.

That doesn't include my Satake that I haven't unpacked since I did a course in May last year :hide:

Boro - I didn't count it, it's just sitting there collecting dust....maturing in the corner like fine wine!

Then there are sample packs from 6 manufacturers - some of those are duplicates in case I loved the colours so much I'd be able to melt at least one rod :-D. The singletons are just for admiring :cool:

Marianne.

demcc2 2009-07-29 7:47am

I voted and said 21-40, as I don't have much space. Once I get rid of more junk in my garage, I'll re-arrange my studio and room for more. I feel embarassed to mention my number though...since people are mentioning more manufacturers I need to bump my vote up one notch!

Duane

gallerygal 2009-07-29 4:05pm

Hey Duane,

Don't feel embarassed, it can only get better from here on in :grin: . Feel proud that you have the start of a mighty fine collection!

We all had to start somewhere.....my collecting started 9 years ago, so have had plenty of time to add to it! :-\"

Bullseye was my one and only glass for about 2 years, I hadn't even heard of Moretti/Effetre :lol: let alone all the other enablers!

Marianne.

JoeDeM 2009-07-31 7:11am

I only have 30, but I mostly use clear and black, I do a lot of dichro right now, so I haven't had a lot of time to play with other colors, in fact I'm still fusing a lot of dichro.

SilverRiverJewelry 2009-08-19 7:52pm

Uh oh. I just bought my first batch of glass rods. I bought thirty colors. And I wanted more lol! I took my first bead making class last Saturday. Today is only Wednesday. Some one please help me. My husband is going to have a cow.

clan tabby 2009-08-19 9:06pm

Silver River - just wait another few months & count again. Then start keeping secrets from your hubby. Ah, all the lovely sales .......

Nancie

SilverRiverJewelry 2009-08-20 5:10am

Lol Nancie, my husband doesn't ask. I think he is afraid too lol! He is pretty good about my obsessions. I have taken over the entire wall of one side of our basement and he built be a table for my lapidary machine but he never asks me how much my stuff costs lol! Probably a good thing. I already have a list of *ooohh I wanna try THAT one* going. And its not a short list either lol!

ameron 2009-08-20 6:04am

Yes the husband thing is a problem. I would love to get a nice glass rack and display everything. But that would mean hubby would see how much glass I have. Now I am hiding it in drawer from him. Since I am a newbie, until I start making some fabulous beads, I can't justify yet another hobby to him. I already have a small bead store of high end gemstones... But its so much fun!

SilverRiverJewelry 2009-08-20 7:04am

Ameron if you could see my bead stash you would realize I totally understand lol! And that doesn't count the metal supplies and the several hundred pounds of rocks and slabs that I have. I have a feeling my husband is happy that i have hobbies that keep me at home lol! The only reason I was able to buy that much glass was because I happened upon Franz Art Glass and his 60% off sale. Ya, glass shopping is fun lol!

JanithS 2009-08-20 9:54am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Renee (Post 876593)
Barbara, you have a spreadsheet for your glass?! And I thought I was anal! I've got to ask, does your spreadsheet detail the number of rods, or just the colors? If you say it includes the number of rods, you need help! LOL!!!

Barbara, don't feel so bad... I have a spreadsheet not only for my glass (sorted by manufacturer then colour -[yes, I'm Canadian and we spell colour with a u]. I also have a spreadsheet of pictures over every type of bead I made with details so I can reproduce them.

Jenfire 2009-08-20 1:38pm

Quote:

If you count the endless shades of coral and just effetre, vetrofond and CIM I have way over 200.

Here are pictures of the great soft glass storage that my son Chris made for me. It has lighting on each level making it easier to see the colors before I pull them. There are 3 sections and on the bottom of each section there are bigger cubbies for glass that I have mega amounts of like rubino, ink blue, periwinkle, copper green, opal yellow and the pinks. I love looking at how pretty it is, like a rainbow!

The tall area on the right hand side of the second picture is reserved for clear, white, black and ivory. The shallow wooden drawers that you see are frit drawers. Each drawer is just deep enough to hold one layer of frit jars and there are holes drilled in the bottom so that the jars drop down and hang by their lids. That way there is no shifting of the jars.

All of the Reichenback/Zimmerman/Bullseye and boro are in the same type of storage on another wall.

I Feel better now. LOL
Jen

valjean 2009-09-22 12:51pm

WOW!!!
Jealous much, YES!!!
That is just Glass Heaven........Valerie
PS. I live in So Cal, can I come over and just stare at it for a while? LOL

Quote:

SilverRiverJewelry 2009-09-22 1:21pm

lol Okay I am not four weeks into it and am up to 60 colors. someone shoot me. But the sales were so good lol! I fear its too late for me. Hooked completely.

Foofaraw 2010-04-25 4:10pm

Ok, I'm embarassed to admit this but if I count different colors by the different shades that have occurred over the years and the different brands I have 308 different colors of glass. I guess I'm a glass Ho!

Troll Lover 2010-11-22 2:14am

I think I have at least one rod of every color there is available from Effetre, CIM, TAG and Double Helix. Then I also have a Vetrofond, ASK, Kugler, Bullseye, Precision, StrikingColor and Reichenbach. I'm way over 200 different colors of soft glass. But please just don't tell my hubby :hide:.

alb6094 2010-11-22 7:51am

Mine is at or around 60. I'd have more if I could afford it, lol.

sangita 2012-03-08 12:47am

Thats kinda personal isn't it? How many colors I have LOL, I cant really put it in writing or else my husband might find out. Besides I dont have that much and I cant count it becasue all my transparent blues are mixed up but I do know that I dont have enough glass

Lyssa 2012-03-08 3:01am

186 - I blame it all on Mike Frantz and his stupid 70% off Vetrofond sales.

Mike! When you gonna have another sale?! I get paid next week! :)

carolinesbeads 2012-03-09 4:25pm

I have 88 colors not including single rods, if I include that then I have closer to 100! I feel that is not near enough so I am going to Howaco tonight to buy some more. I also think i need more murrini. Hmm it never ends!

Caroline

flamingobeth 2012-03-11 10:20pm

Is that number before or after the UPS guy comes tomorrow?

Lyssa 2012-03-12 3:09pm

LOL

Quote:

Originally Posted by flamingobeth (Post 3928188)
Is that number before or after the UPS guy comes tomorrow?

essiemessy 2012-03-12 8:34pm

Wowee.. I did a rough guesstimate, and voted 40-60, and I've been at it for 17 months already. I should have a lot more than that!
I can only but aspire. Sigh.

Kreszentia 2012-06-10 12:30pm

pphhhhhhhhhh ...

I voted 180+ a while ago. Now I made a sort of inventory and counted: 421 colors - partly only one rod of it to try (whoch I still did not). I must be crazy.

Kreszentia

marla0416 2013-02-10 11:18am

Is this a contest? She/he who dies with the most colors wins. I'm in.

FosterFire 2013-04-11 12:31pm

In 104 I avoid the alabastro and opalino. I have mostly Effetre with Vetro, CIM and some of the one time off batches like curdled ivory. I buy what I like and use. I've never counted. Besides I have 3 batches of Effetre mustard yellow, so is that one color or 3?

Deb L 2013-04-14 3:10pm

I finally had to divide my fence posts in half with foam board to make more room. My hubby came out to see how it was going. He hadn't been out for a while. He asked, "I guess that's a couple of hundred in glass, right?" I, of course, said, "yeh, that's right.":hide:

He has actually been very supportive of every artsy thing I've ever done. He knows how much I've got-heck, he's been with me when I bought some of it.

PatsyEmporium 2013-04-21 3:35pm

Ive only been lampworking for about 2 weeks but I have about 30 colors not including my stringer variety packs...give it some time...

Elektra 2014-02-28 12:27pm

I voted 121-140 range. Our studio glass (for us and our students) is certainly a lot. Plus, we have our own personal bundles and stashes...so who knows. It might be way more than that!!

RyanTheNumberImp 2014-06-30 4:49pm

I quickly multiplied out the tubes and I'm at over 300 if you count the color bar.
I generally try to avoid odd lots since I find they just end up getting hoarded.

http://i.imgur.com/ZLX4taW.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/ShP0fK3.jpg

Croft Eeusk 2014-07-05 6:23pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deb L (Post 4293925)
I finally had to divide my fence posts in half with foam board to make more room. My hubby came out to see how it was going. He hadn't been out for a while. He asked, "I guess that's a couple of hundred in glass, right?" I, of course, said, "yeh, that's right.":hide:

Baawaahaahaa!

Don't ask, don't tell.

[I just got some $ for a birthday prezzie - wouldn't you know Franz would be having a free shipping offer to tempt me!]

dj

Marcy 2014-07-07 4:43am

Oh those neatly organized tubes look so wonderful! Nice job. And I am so happy to read about all of you having loads of wonderful colors to play with.

Dragos 2017-08-29 7:07am

Quote:

Originally Posted by RyanTheNumberImp (Post 4617356)
I quickly multiplied out the tubes and I'm at over 300 if you count the color bar.
I generally try to avoid odd lots since I find they just end up getting hoarded.

http://i.imgur.com/ZLX4taW.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/ShP0fK3.jpg

Drool lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

EmeryLawson 2017-09-02 2:13pm

I took a guess, but I did not count frit, so I guess I underestimated.

SWCreations 2017-09-09 6:48pm

I think I have too many colors :) although I usually order 1/4 lb unlesss I discover I really like it and then I order more. The exception is order plenty of white, black, and ivory (light and dark) in larger quantities. There are so many colors I want to try, but I haven't even used some colors. Recently, I reordered by glass by color and that was helpful.