Lampwork Etc.

Lampwork Etc. (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/index.php)
-   Torch Questions (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=55)
-   -   selecting a kiln (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=157403)

adrenalineojunky 2010-03-18 12:38pm

selecting a kiln

Hello all,

I'm looking to buy a kiln but with all the options out there I'm having a hard time figuring out what I need. I'm currently using a bobcat with tanked oxygen. So the size of my pieces is limited by that. So I guess I am looking for a good entry level kiln that can handle decent size work. I am very interested in doing sculptures, goblets down the road, and marbles/paperweights. Price isn't a huge issue as I will be saving for it but less expensive would be nice. as well as a digital controller.

Thanks for the help!

Oops meant to post this in the tips and Q forum, not this sub forum. Not sure how to move it :oops:

G.L.McBead 2010-03-18 1:49pm

I find that having fire brick kiln is the only way to go.
The rest is mostly what opening you like.
G.

Hayley 2010-03-18 2:22pm

I love Mike Crowley's kilns - first I got the standard one, then upgraded to the Tall Guy which has an interior height of 9" so plenty of room for sculptural/goblets.

http://theglasshive.com/BEADANNEALERS.html
(The Tall Guy is at the bottom of the page)

pam 2010-03-18 2:34pm

Check out the Arrow Springs kilns. They are wonderful and completely reliable. I've had one since 1994 with no problems.

adrenalineojunky 2010-03-18 2:55pm

Thanks for the input every one! i guess i'm kinda wondering whats a good size kiln to get? like what's to small? i haven't seen any in person so i'm having a hard time getting a grasp on the size. I don't want to end up with a kiln that i can only put one or two things in... if that makes any sense. All the ones in the 500-600 range seem really small to me. so like what is a good first kiln size maybe the better question?

Hayley 2010-03-18 3:04pm

That's one of the reasons I love Mike Crowley's The Glass Hive Bead Annealer. The one thing you do not want (imho) is a 2" bead door. It's too small! Getting a kiln with a 4" high bead door is key.

I wouldn't get the smallest Glass Hive kiln. The 18" interior width is perfect for a full-day worth of beadmaking. Or if space allows, get the Wide Guy that has a 27" interior width. Those are 4.5" interior height and 6.5" deep so your mandrels stick out. If you want a 27" wide, 9.5" high one, I am sure Mike can custom build one for you!

Hope this helps.

adrenalineojunky 2010-03-18 4:38pm

yes it does, thank you hayley. I checked out his website and seems to be more kiln for the money then most i have looked at. i might end up going that route but i guess i gotta come up with the money first :) ah well every thing cost something i guess. thanks for the help!

chrisann 2010-03-19 6:33am

Quote:

Originally Posted by adrenalineojunky (Post 2941017)
yes it does, thank you hayley. I checked out his website and seems to be more kiln for the money then most i have looked at. i might end up going that route but i guess i gotta come up with the money first :) ah well every thing cost something i guess. thanks for the help!

Mike has a great layaway plan so go and jump in there then you can pay as you can and when paid they will make and ship it to you.
chrisann

glaslight 2010-03-19 6:46am

I have also been looking for a kiln for bead annealing and have almost decided on a Jen-Ken Digital (take apart kiln) It has a flip door collar 2" x 6" and the interior is 11"wide by 9" deep. It can also be used as a vitrograph kiln to make your own combination of glass rods and is large enough to be used for slumping with molds etc... two lasses glass classes.com has a variety of these kilns. If you think you may want to try other creative processes with glass these kilns have very few limits.

stewart castle 2010-04-15 5:17pm

I have the Glass Hive wide guy kiln and while I love it, it takes a lot to fill it. I wish I had started with the standard guy. The wide guy also takes a lot of energy to run and I've noticed the hike in my electric bills. So, if you are starting out, the standard guy or tall guy should do nicely.

divelement 2010-04-23 3:48pm

My only advice is for you to get a digital controller for which ever model you choose......

thatbeadchickie 2010-04-23 3:53pm

What Haley said.
Mikey kiln.. Glasshive. You won't be sorry. :)

bluesh4rk 2010-05-01 8:34am

I would recommend Glasshive too. :D

PittsGlass 2010-05-26 2:51pm

Thanks for all the kind words. You guys are exactly why we love what we do!

You can take advantage of free shipping at The Glass Hive until the end of May. A layaway payment will lock in the savings!