Lampwork Etc.

Lampwork Etc. (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/index.php)
-   Torch Questions (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=55)
-   -   Hot Head really NOT! (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17126)

1st Glass Beads 2006-03-19 5:29pm

Hot Head really NOT!

Ever have a BAD bead day? Being a newbie, I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong, but I just made 3 bombs. I'm using a HH with 1lb MAPP cylinders and can't seem to get the heat into the glass. I was trying to 'splain to my DH that the cylinder gets cold and then it doesn't heat enough, but I couldn't tell him why. Can anyone help me with an explaination? Thanks
Frustrated in Texas:mad: :confused: :cry::evil:

IF-Designs 2006-03-19 5:39pm

when the gas leaves the canister in rapid release it supercools and essentially freezes. Then it does not work correctly. Im not sure if im explaining it correctly but I think thats basically what happens.

kbinkster 2006-03-19 7:42pm

Be glad that the glass badness is being concentrated into one torching session and is not spread out.

Just curious about the cannister freezing thing... are you shutting the torch off after each bead?

1st Glass Beads 2006-03-19 7:45pm

Yes, but I was trying to add dichroic to a basic bead and couldn't get the stuff to get soft enought to move. I thought I was doing it like I learned in the class, but maybe I forgot something.

dragonart glass 2006-03-19 7:51pm

if your canister is getting too cold hold a bowl of warm water (it doesn't even have to be that warm) underneath it.....you'll see the flame get bigger

Rebekah 2006-03-19 7:53pm

You're making me miss my HH! LOL

I remember the canister days and that all stopped after I got a tank. My Matilda served me well for the first 2 and a half years of torching. Keep at it and think about getting a tank if you're not planning to upgrade your torch any time soon.

Rebekah

1st Glass Beads 2006-03-19 8:04pm

I wrapped the canister with a heating pad (the dang thing went around it about 10 times and kept slipping off!). I'm trying to make do until my DH will let me "upgrade" to a big-girl torch. My only worry is: what if it's not the HH and just that I'm a crappy beadmaker? You all make such awesome stuff; I'm having bead dreams and it's all I can think about. I wear 'em and carry 'em in my pocket. I also don't understand it when people aren't as amazed as I am about these incredible little works of art. Well, tomorrow is a new day.....

Mr. Smiley 2006-03-19 9:36pm

If you love it, you will be awesome at it... and if you're not, you won't care because you love it. Just do what you love and forget about comparing your beads to anybody elses work... just make a better bead today than you did yesterday or at least try something new. ;) :love: :D

1st Glass Beads 2006-03-19 10:00pm

Thanks for the encouragement. I WILL build a better bead tomorrow (i hope) lol I guess I'm making progress because I'm making mistakes. At least I'm trying it. I got a beadmaking "kit" for Christmas and it sat in the corner until I went and took classes in the end of Feb. Now I have some globs of glass with holes in them.
Now, where's that lighter?....

meadowesky 2006-03-19 11:07pm

This sounds bad but it isnt.. When my canister would get really cold ( I had it clamped to the table) I would just hold it between my knees for a while. Okay, I cant wait to hear what mr.Smiley has to say about that!LOL but you get the point, your body is warm so unless you wanna stand there with a bowl of water use your legs.

kbinkster 2006-03-19 11:24pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by beadstruck
Thanks for the encouragement. I WILL build a better bead tomorrow (i hope) lol I guess I'm making progress because I'm making mistakes. At least I'm trying it. I got a beadmaking "kit" for Christmas and it sat in the corner until I went and took classes in the end of Feb. Now I have some globs of glass with holes in them.
Now, where's that lighter?....

That's the spirit!

And another thing... experienced bead makers have off days, too. It happens to everyone at some point. Take it in stride. You are making progress. You will do better.

kbinkster 2006-03-19 11:26pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by meadowesky
This sounds bad but it isnt.. When my canister would get really cold ( I had it clamped to the table) I would just hold it between my knees for a while. Okay, I cant wait to hear what mr.Smiley has to say about that!LOL but you get the point, your body is warm so unless you wanna stand there with a bowl of water use your legs.

Cold cannisters are great for burns. Well, except for the ones on your lips (from blowing to cool off stringers and getting too close). Those are best left to Fudgecicles.

1st Glass Beads 2006-03-20 2:01pm

Thanks, you guys are the best! I went back out there today and got back on the torch and things are better. I think I was trying to get "fancy" yesterday. I should stick with what I know, so I'm making 100 basic beads until I can do them in my sleep (I DO, but it's not QUITE the same thing lol). Baby steps, baby steps, baby steps... Sarah

glasswinder 2006-03-20 11:20pm

As your little cannister empties..glass will take longer to melt. It isn't always "you"!

1st Glass Beads 2006-03-21 9:00am

I hope to get a source for bulk fuel soon. Hopefully, this will help. Even though I would love to just go to a different torch, I am determined to make the HH do what others have said it does. Just the brat in me coming out. lol

smutboy420 2006-03-23 9:10am

Quote:

This sounds bad but it isnt.. When my canister would get really cold ( I had it clamped to the table) I would just hold it between my knees for a while.
I never wished to come back as a tank of propain till now.

Phoenix 2006-03-23 3:11pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by beadstruck
I wrapped the canister with a heating pad (the dang thing went around it about 10 times and kept slipping off!). ..

Duct tape-
worked for mine :-)

cncalchemy 2006-03-23 9:47pm

There is a big jump in pressure once you switch from the little cannisters to a bbq sized propane tank. Makes it put out a much better flame, big difference in melting time. Lots more fun and doesn't cost 5 bucks a night to run either...

-cnc

Flamechick 2006-03-31 12:09pm

I'll 2nd that comment. The little one pound gas turds of Mapp suck big hairy donky.....ears. Having been in your situation, I can almost guarantee that's your biggest problem.

Keep up the positive attitude. That's half the battle!