Lampwork Etc.

Lampwork Etc. (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/index.php)
-   Tips, Techniques, and Questions (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   50 Shades of Grey (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=256193)

ROC 2013-12-03 2:39am

50 Shades of Grey

What's the trick to this glass? The paddle looks so beautiful and all I get is five shades of poop! Help??

ROC 2013-12-03 1:35pm

Nobody else has tried this glass? Maybe I'll use it for punties! LOL

tilegoddess 2013-12-03 1:36pm

I tried it too... tan-grey-yellow poop color too... reminded me a lot of Canyon De Chelly from CiM.... :(

ROC 2013-12-03 1:43pm

Oooo, but I do like CdC for some things, so you've given me a few ideas. Maybe the key is in the reaction to other glasses, but I wish I could get it to look like it does in the paddle!

If you could get it to look like it's supposed to, it would make a beautiful goddess, Joy!

tilegoddess 2013-12-03 1:48pm

I did make a petite "fluffy" goddess with it... but all of the shades mix together to that taupe color and then blushed with that silver-yellow haze here and there. I gave it to Wayne Robbins as a little pocket-pet/worry stone a couple weeks ago. He loved it :)

Maybe the key IS working it with silver glass... ????

:D

ROC 2013-12-03 1:54pm

Maybe I'll try it with some striking/reducing glasses (hate to waste them on poop!) and see what I think. If no one else has any thoughts I guess we could always ask Pat Frantz.

KJohn 2013-12-03 7:01pm

Doesn't Frantz do their own paddles? It might be that they mush the rod around first before pressing. Also the glass might like to be worked cool, and not overworked.

You know, I looked at that glass and almost bought some. I REALLY wanted it, so I'm glad you shared! Do you have any pics? And have you tried their other new colors, the mossy green and cave thing, and so on?

If it does work out for silver glass, at least it would make a nice change from all the tans and browns.

allicat 2013-12-03 7:08pm

I have to admit, when I looked at the paddle on Frantz's site, the first thing that came to my mind was baby poop. Smooshed baby poop.

But that's me LOL

I did get some of the cave green; haven't tried it yet.

Three Muses Glass 2013-12-04 6:49am

I bought some 50 Shades too from liking the paddle. It kind of reminded me of the Fossils and I like those. I tried it by itself, SIS and with some silver glass and it's all just yucky and not even any shade of gray. It's not even baby poo (green ocher) because I like that color too. It's just a fail for me so far.

gemsinbloom 2014-02-19 6:23pm

There is something I discovered when I was testing glasses for pressed leaves. Glass will behave much differently when heated very hot and pressed quickly compared to creating a bead with the same color. So I don't really feel paddles are an accurate way to show paying customers what a color looks like. I just does not work that way unless you are only making small pieces where are heated and pressed quickly.........

BeadBlossoms 2014-02-19 6:29pm

Maybe you have to spank it? ;)

gemsinbloom 2014-02-19 6:57pm

Ummm lol

ROC 2014-02-19 7:31pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BeadBlossoms (Post 4536986)
Maybe you have to spank it? ;)

Well, I can tell you, cursing at it doesn't work.

Dianne Gleaton 2014-02-19 9:30pm

Cave Green

I got this and love it, so much that I ordered another half pound before it is no longer available. Makes great stringers for veins/leaves for spring florals. I got one rod of 50 Shades of Grey and glad that is all I got, can't get it to do anything either. JMHO, Dianne
Quote:

Originally Posted by KJohn (Post 4470862)
Doesn't Frantz do their own paddles? It might be that they mush the rod around first before pressing. Also the glass might like to be worked cool, and not overworked.

You know, I looked at that glass and almost bought some. I REALLY wanted it, so I'm glad you shared! Do you have any pics? And have you tried their other new colors, the mossy green and cave thing, and so on?

If it does work out for silver glass, at least it would make a nice change from all the tans and browns.

KJohn 2014-02-19 9:43pm

Which one, Diane, the mossy green or cave....thing?

glass butterfly 2014-02-19 10:31pm

Effete Rogue and Woodie

The colors on the Frantz paddles are a lovely turquoise with some reddish streaks for the Rogue and all I can get is yucky grey. I tried it on my HHS and on my minor and both produced yucky. Unfortunately, sine it was such a prett color I bought at least one pound of it :-( Also the Woody paddle shows a pretty brown but all I can get is grey yuck. I no longer trust new Effetre colors since the paddles and what I get are two different colors. Anyone have any better results with these two colors? Lydia

Ravenesque 2014-02-20 12:04am

^there have been threads for both of those, I like woody but others are getting gray (i think? or poo?), I like it for trees. I think the consensus was that it turns a good brown when reduced a bit. Rogue too, I think I remember reading that people wanted what was shown but not getting the results, I didn't.

imo we need a general effetre thread, all these new colors I'd like to know. I know he has a try before you buy, but....

I bought navy blue, i loved the color shown, mine looks like faded and dirty jeans :pout: (i'll take a pic later)

I didn't buy 50 shades as much as I wanted to because of these past fails.

Dianne Gleaton 2014-02-20 3:26am

cave green

Quote:

Originally Posted by KJohn (Post 4537127)
Which one, Diane, the mossy green or cave....thing?

cave green as I noted in subject

KJohn 2014-02-20 5:26am

Ah I see it now, I usually don't look there. Thanks

Roo Blaty 2014-02-20 7:17am

Yes, I agree with having the Effetre thread! But maye it's a category (like Family Room or Tips tricks, etc.) so each color can have its own thread making it easy to find and talk about each specific color.?????

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ravenesque (Post 4537197)
^there have been threads for both of those, I like woody but others are getting gray (i think? or poo?), I like it for trees. I think the consensus was that it turns a good brown when reduced a bit. Rogue too, I think I remember reading that people wanted what was shown but not getting the results, I didn't.

imo we need a general effetre thread, all these new colors I'd like to know. I know he has a try before you buy, but....

I bought navy blue, i loved the color shown, mine looks like faded and dirty jeans :pout: (i'll take a pic later)

I didn't buy 50 shades as much as I wanted to because of these past fails.

ROC 2014-02-20 8:18am

Maybe this will help some of you on the 50 Shades (and it might apply to the other colors?). From Mike at Frantz:

"Our beadmaker . . . says that when he feeds the glass onto the mandrel he tries to keep it as cool as possible which makes him twist and turning it (does not let it boil) and keeps adding glass. He does not reduce the flame-he says that it's "a normal flame" and he just tries to keep the glass as cool as possible. He says that way it shows it layers. Also, remember, these beads are almost like paddles, they are flattened out (like lollipops) so we can take good images, then he "fire polishes" the glass with a gentle touch."

I'll have to give it a try again, keeping it very cool and twisting the rod, etc.

echeveria 2014-02-20 8:56am

I am hoping it works with silver like the fossils

EchoTantuli 2014-02-20 9:35am

On the Woodie question... If you reduce it, it does go a nice brown color.

tilegoddess 2014-02-20 10:31am

Quote:

Originally Posted by glass butterfly (Post 4537165)
The colors on the Frantz paddles are a lovely turquoise with some reddish streaks for the Rogue and all I can get is yucky grey. I tried it on my HHS and on my minor and both produced yucky. Unfortunately, sine it was such a prett color I bought at least one pound of it :-( Also the Woody paddle shows a pretty brown but all I can get is grey yuck. I no longer trust new Effetre colors since the paddles and what I get are two different colors. Anyone have any better results with these two colors? Lydia

Rogue is a greyish blue with very thin occasional veins of golden tan and rusty orange/red.... it is predominantly a neutral grey blue.... but since I do wildlife work I like it for being more neutral.

Green Cave ROCKS!!! I LOVE LOVE LOVE this color! It looks like a two-tone rod but what you will get is the richest earthy moss green with darker green webbing and veining. DO NOT USE RAKU ON THIS COLOR. All you'll get is dark sludge.

50 Shades- it doesn't bubble when heated or over heated... I sculpted with it and got ocher-grey-tan out of it and that was it. BUT it does look great as a base for some of AvenueBeads.com "Fire Sage" frit!

Woodie & Dark Walnut- I sculpt with both of those and use them for Caribou and Grulla colored horse beads... it is a mouse grey brown color.

Cocoa Bean- milk chocolate brown with a reddish blush here and there.

I buy most of the new odd-lot colors of the Effetre colors, especially if they are in the earthy palette that I can either use to sculpt wildlife or use as a tab base bead for the animals. Most colors I have a use for and use them :)

glass butterfly 2014-02-20 6:25pm

My Rogue is more grey than blue grey and each time I've used it, it still is a dull yucky grey with a tinge of grey blue. I'll have to try it on the cool side and see if it makes a difference,otherwise I can always use it as a core bead. I'll try Woodie on the cool side and try reducing it to see if it gets out of the grey yuck stage. My navy blue was also disappointing and was more faded looking than the paddle. However, I do like the Cocoa bean and Canyon together. The Cocoa bean turned a warm milk chocolates brown and the canyon on top of it was a soft turquoise. I made a beadin cocoa with melted layers of dots on it using the canyon and cocoa bean and the melted dots are a darker brown than the base bead but I liked the effect. I took a picture of the bead which is not a great bead using my iPad but don't know how to show it on the LE forum.

I've found it very helpful reading about other people's experiences with the new Effetre colors. I was leery about the 50 shades of grey and now will definitely not buy it. Lydia

Ravenesque 2014-02-25 12:12am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roo Blaty (Post 4537258)
Yes, I agree with having the Effetre thread! But maye it's a category (like Family Room or Tips tricks, etc.) so each color can have its own thread making it easy to find and talk about each specific color.?????

I posted in suggestions for a category http://lampworketc.com/forums/showthread.php?p=4540767