Lampwork Etc.

Lampwork Etc. (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/index.php)
-   Tips, Techniques, and Questions (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Zephyr vs Aether (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=293865)

carolinesbeads 2017-03-05 12:44am

Zephyr vs Aether

Does anyone know if one is softer than the other? I am looking for the softest clear glass that I can find. Thanks!

Caroline

Speedslug 2017-03-05 7:15am

They both seem pretty soft from my limited experience.

I know that Aether can react with some glass and you can wind up with a yellowish hue and that Zephyr doesn't do that.

SGA 2017-03-05 3:17pm

Pretty certain Hayley said Aether is softer. She uses Zephyr to encase thin layer to prevent reaction but she comtiues the majority of the rest of the encasement in Aether because she does not heat the mother of pearl effect to glowing any longer. Aether is a bit more malleable than zephyr in this regard.

Speedslug 2017-03-05 4:14pm

Thanks for that information Shardi.

carolinesbeads 2017-03-05 7:44pm

Perfect Shardi that is just want I wanted to know. I am not going to use silver glass so the reaction wont be a problem.

Caroline

Hayley 2017-03-06 12:29am

As Shardi said, Aether is softer especially in cooler temperature. When worked hot, Zephyr is almost as soft. Both are softer than Effetre and other clears.

lotusbunny2009 2017-03-06 10:55am

How do the two DH clears compare to Lauscha reformulated soft clear?

Also which of the DH reacts to silver glass? Was it Aether?

Thank you! Karen

Eileen 2017-03-06 12:26pm

Yes, Aether can react with the silver.
I have never used the Lauscha, so don't know about that.

lotusbunny2009 2017-03-06 2:24pm

I was inquiring about Lauscha because just yesterday I made a bead with think encasing, and for as much as I like the luscious-ness of Lauscha, it seemed to take forever on my Mini CC to smooth and round the bead.

It would be great to know if one of DH would make encasing quicker!

Hayley 2017-03-07 1:19pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by lotusbunny2009 (Post 4916034)
I was inquiring about Lauscha because just yesterday I made a bead with think encasing, and for as much as I like the luscious-ness of Lauscha, it seemed to take forever on my Mini CC to smooth and round the bead.

It would be great to know if one of DH would make encasing quicker!

I only used Lauscha Reformulated Soft Clear once in class and my students' beads with some of the silver glass cracked in spidery web pattern. This was before Zephyr and I wanted a non-reactive clear in addition to Aether. The studio had LRSC at the shop. Can't remember how it melts compared to Aether though but I use Aether on silver glass which cannot take much heat and love how it softens like butter in lower temp.

lotusbunny2009 2017-03-07 2:46pm

Thanks Hayley!

artwhim 2017-04-02 8:11pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by lotusbunny2009 (Post 4915956)
How do the two DH clears compare to Lauscha reformulated soft clear?

Also which of the DH reacts to silver glass? Was it Aether?

Thank you! Karen

I use all three clears. Aether is the softest and my favorite for complex encased florals. It melts like a dream, fills the gaps and rounds up easily.

Zephyr is great too and doesn't react with silver glass.

Lauscha Reformulated is my go to for several styles that need good clarity but need to hold a tight shape. The Lauscha is a very agreeable clear, but not as soft as the other two.

I would be very sad if any of the three were no longer available. There really isn't a one-size-fits-all clear. All three are worthy of being in your stash.

AVTrout 2017-04-03 8:15am

I have a mini cc too, and I never use Lauscha. It takes too long to melt.