Lampwork Etc.

Lampwork Etc. (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/index.php)
-   Free Tutorials (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=77)
-   -   Candy Jacks Murrini Bead Tutorial (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=166607)

loribeads 2010-06-21 7:11pm

Candy Jacks Murrini Bead Tutorial

I did a step by step instruction with a video. Here's the video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ryi4XxEu2Q

And here's the step by step to go with it:

1. Make a clear round spacer out of any good clear. I use Lauscha or Reichenbach 104 but any good clear will work.

2. Put three bumps of clear on top of the bead in a triangle. You're going to stick the murrini to these bumps so make them pretty good sized.

3. Heat up one of the bumps and firmly place the murrini on it. Be sure you've pre heated the murrini a bit in the back of the flame or it may crack.

4. Heat just the face of the murrini slightly. Wait a second then gently press it down ever so slightly. This makes it easier to cover with clear later but keeps it raised enough to get that 3-D look.

5. Grab another rod of clear - the key here is to use SOFT clear. Aether is PERFECT. Effetre is good too if you have a good batch that won't scum up on you. I've tried using the Reichenbach 104 clear and it was way too stiff and pulled the murrini all out of shape. So just make sure it's soft clear.

6. Heat up a pea sized gather of clear at the end of your rod and plop it down on the murrini while making a sort of rotating motion so as to cover as much of the sides of the murrini as you can in one motion before the clear goes too stiff.

ok, I know that part can be tricky but don't despair! We can fix it later with a little clear stringer.

7. Repeat #6 for the other two murrini.

8. Check the sides of the murrini for any bare, unencased spots. Take a little bit of clear stringer and just swipe a bit of clear in those spots.

9. Heat up each bump enough to smooth out the lumpies but not enough to loose the bump at all. Go easy with the heat, there! Not too much.

10. Pop in the kiln! You're done. Now go make a bunch more because they look fabulous in big groups. :biggrin:

I used murrini from www.loriandkim.com :D.

LAJ 2010-06-21 7:17pm

Lori, that's so cool! Now that I received my murrini today I'll have some to try it out with next time I torch. Thanks so much for sharing that!

squid 2010-06-21 7:19pm

Lori, I wubs you :flirt:

NLC Beads 2010-06-21 7:26pm

http://icanhascheezburger.files.word...rey-kitten.jpg

All because of these fun beads... ;) Thanks for sharing! If I can stop making "tattooed" critters with the murrini I'll give this a shot!

:love:
Nikki

beadmama 2010-06-21 7:44pm

Lori

Thanks for sharing the tutorial it sure looks like it will be fun to try!!! I have lots of your murrini to try it out!!

Becky

beadaddicts 2010-06-21 7:48pm

Lori when I got my Jacks from you I fell in love!! Since I got my murrini, I've already made two more sets, and have about another have dozen planned.

Have I told you lately that you rock?? :D

Mitosis Glass 2010-06-21 7:53pm

Thank you Lori, this is wonderful! When I first saw those on Etsy I had a jaw-dropping moment. So beautiful! Thank you.

zen-mom 2010-06-21 8:15pm

OMYGosh Lori! I can't believe you made this a FREE tutorial!?!?
I am so excited! You have no idea! Now I can use up ALL my Lori & Kim murrini!!

AND BUY MORE!!! Whhhoooot! :D

myrdlebp 2010-06-21 9:04pm

Imma printing the picture just so I can look at it at work! (Is that okay?) There's no way mine could be that "HAPPY"! But see? Now I have to get some "happy" murrini, huh? ;)

Thank you!

loribeads 2010-06-21 9:08pm

Awww, you guys are just what I needed this evening :D.

zen-mom 2010-06-21 9:15pm

You have no idea how thrilled I am that you posted this... I wanted desperately to make some of these but just didn't feel "right" about it. Now I can try and make them with wild abandon! I am tickled pink! And just so you know, I would have paid for this little tutorial!

Thank you!!!!

Nicker 2010-06-21 9:17pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by zen-mom (Post 3087075)
You have no idea how thrilled I am that you posted this... I wanted desperately to make some of these but just didn't feel "right" about it. Now I can try and make them with wild abandon! I am tickled pink! And just so you know, I would have paid for this little tutorial!

Thank you!!!!

I second this! I tried it once and didn't do the three bumps for the murrini and mine bead looked like crap so I gave up. Thanks Lori for sharing this, I am going to make my Mom a set for her "cruise wear"!

loribeads 2010-06-21 9:28pm

I just wanted to say that my voice isn't shrill in person. Honestly. :/

Thank you muchly Donna and Nicker! Yes, make many of them!!!

loribeads 2010-06-21 9:29pm

I wubs you too, Squidly. :flirt:

lindag 2010-06-21 10:18pm

Thank you! I saw these the other day and thought they were fabulous, wonderful and adorable!!! Your tutorial explains it so well - I'm going to have to give it a go. You are so generous for posting this, again a great big Thank You!

Nicker 2010-06-21 10:52pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by loribeads (Post 3087099)
I just wanted to say that my voice isn't shrill in person. Honestly. :/!

Is too! You forget I've met you LOL

Carmen Isaacs 2010-06-22 1:07am

Thank you so much.

barbaracollins 2010-06-22 3:42am

Yeah! Thank you.

blong2001 2010-06-22 4:00am

Thank you! I can not wait to try this!

SuzyQ 2010-06-22 4:09am

These are so stinkin' cute!! What a gem you are for sharing.

j2canoe 2010-06-22 4:58am

WooHoo!!! :) Thank you so much for sharing this! I have to admit I tried just the encasement of the murrini part when I first saw your beautiful, happy jacks - my result was fugalacious (to put it as mildly as possible) and resulted in much mirth from the in-house peanut gallery! I am so glad to be able to try it again the Right Way!! :)

PattyK 2010-06-22 5:35am

Thank you Lori - this looks wonderful!! :)

carrieb 2010-06-22 5:39am

Thank you for sharing this! I just tried to do this on Saturday with some very schmeery results ;)

Bluejeangirlnc 2010-06-22 5:57am

Thanks so much for sharing this! Now if we can get the sauna here in NC to shut off for a little while maybe I'll give this a try. :)

beadaddicts 2010-06-22 7:13am

Lori I did my "Mocha" murrini on a medium fossil base, then used clear bumps and clear encasing on the murrini. The colored base was just enough to really make the colors in the murrini "pop". You and Kim better get busy, cause as much fun as I'm having with these things, I'm gonna need another big tub of murrini SOON! :lol:

kernheimer 2010-06-22 7:43am

these are so cute!! Thank you so much!

Parrotise 2010-06-22 7:46am

Oh wow! Thanks so much for sharing! You're the best-est\\:D/\\:D/\\:D/

DarkFlowerBead 2010-06-22 7:53am

Thanks so much for sharing. I LOVE your candy jacks and your murini :)
Cara

squid 2010-06-22 7:55am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bluejeangirlnc (Post 3087375)
Thanks so much for sharing this! Now if we can get the sauna here in NC to shut off for a little while maybe I'll give this a try. :)

no kidding!

SilverRiverJewelry 2010-06-22 7:56am

This is so cool and gives me something to try with murrini. I am usually somewhat at a loss as to how to use them in a design lol. This should help me get over my intimidation lol.