Lampwork Etc.

Lampwork Etc. (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/index.php)
-   Customer Service Kiosk (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=47)
-   -   Where can I get good rubino? (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=196817)

Carols Glass 2011-05-31 12:05pm

Where can I get good rubino?

I have cracks with CIM cranberry, and the rubino of which I have 2 pounds of now likes to be rasperry more than rubino.

I would love to know where to get the kind that is a pale transparent pink until you melt it and then the end shows a beautiful rubino color!

I would appreciate any information on how to get some of this rubino I have grown accustomed to since I started making beads 5 years ago.

Thanks in advance, I am at my wits end here. I spent all day yesterday and made some really great beads, 2 which turned a dark ruby and 2 which were medium color, and 3 which turned raspberry, HELP!

You see the pink rubino petals on the bead in my avatar? That is the raspberry rubino.

Carols Glass 2011-05-31 3:00pm

examples

3 Attachment(s)
these beads were made from one torch session yesterday :-(

Carols Glass 2011-05-31 3:03pm

I am going to work with this rubino first to see what I can do with it, although I have been trying different things for months now since I got the 2007 handpulled batch.

I ordered another pound which looks similar and it is less problematic than the first for me but I was really hoping to buy some of the regular rubino to make watermelon beads with that were consistently as the photo on the right.

Thanks for the offer, I will see what I can do with this stuff first.

Carols Glass 2011-05-31 3:04pm

I have more pictures of the other beads but wanted to show the difference with these two, but if you want to see the other beads, just say so :-).

Carols Glass 2011-05-31 3:09pm

all of the pics

they looked slightly different in the window light, so....

here are the other ones. I kept trying to group them but I didn't do so well. I may have to post again for the fourth pic, not sure though.

zen-mom 2011-05-31 3:39pm

I LOVE the raspberry color... I even traded a friend the raspberry batch for the "regular" rubino.

Course I know that people buy rubino expecting it to do the transparent fuchsia color so it can be disappointing if you get the opaque-y raspberry color.

Carols Glass 2011-05-31 5:37pm

Are you saying you don't have any of the regular rubino, Donna?

Remember long ago when you accidentally marked it wrong and I told you about it, LOL?

I could have bought pounds of it but I wouldn't have been able to live with myself.

I sure wish I could buy a pound of it from ya!

I still need to buy that Tag sampler from you.

I keep spending too much on Beadrollers and forget all else when Donna makes new ones.
I may have to try CIM cranberry once again. SIgh

zen-mom 2011-05-31 5:42pm

I believe what I have in stock now is just plain ol' rubino, we just used some in a class and I don't remember seeing any of it turn the raspberry color.

I'd be happy to sell you a pound :)

Carols Glass 2011-05-31 6:25pm

Are the rods light or dark?

I cried when I got my second pound of raspberry rubino, I can't take any more trauma lol, do u have pics of your current rubino on your website?

Sorry I am in my studio on my cell typing this (basement haha)

Oh well. Long day.

zen-mom 2011-05-31 6:43pm

They're pink. Like rubino... I don't take photos of individual batches... It's not as dark as when it's struck.

Carols Glass 2011-05-31 8:00pm

No, I didn't mean for you to take pics, I just wondered if the pic you have on your website represents your current batch :-).

I'm off to shop at the Mandrel now, just got done making beads for today/tonight.

Carols Glass 2011-05-31 8:02pm

Oh, I've been meaning to make it clear that I did call the vendor where I purchased the glass and she offered a return, so I could have returned it. I was just hoping to find some use for it!

zen-mom 2011-05-31 8:07pm

The batch on my website actually looks a bit lighter than what I have (to me).

Carols Glass 2011-05-31 8:16pm

ok, thank you.

I'll shop tomorrow, hopefully. I want to see how my beads did that I made tonight.

If you said your rubino looks just like what is on your website, I wouldn't be afraid it is the "other" rubino, lol.

I will try to get a picture of mine and maybe then you can tell me if it is like what you have?

zen-mom 2011-05-31 8:26pm

I can almost guarantee that what I have is not the raspberry stuff because I keep pulling it from the shelf because I like it so much I've been keeping it for myself. :)

I can strike the ends for you, I know the raspberry stuff gets the opaque-y end on it when it's struck.

Carols Glass 2011-05-31 8:31pm

Oh, I see.

Well, sure, that would help me sleep at night to see those ends were not opaquey pink :-) before I invest in it.

zen-mom 2011-05-31 8:36pm

:lol: Okay, I'll do that tomorrow for you :)

Carols Glass 2011-05-31 8:37pm

thanks, Donna!

zen-mom 2011-05-31 8:39pm

You're welcome.

Carols Glass 2011-05-31 8:47pm

You are so polite!

Did you make those gorgeous pansies on your website?

zen-mom 2011-05-31 8:51pm

:lol: Thank you! I try :)

I did not make the pansies, but I hope to learn how in a few weeks when the artist Chiharu Richardson comes to teach a mini workshop.

Carols Glass 2011-05-31 8:58pm

incredible pansies.

I wish I lived near you, I would come to your fun glass shops you have advertised on your website. Great prices, and I bet it is so much fun.

I have a sister in Cali. Wish we could trade places!

zen-mom 2011-05-31 9:10pm

Maybe you just need to come and visit :poke:

Classes are lots of fun. I have a great group of regulars who always make the
new peeps feel welcome. We have the lunches brought in so everyone has time to
talk and get know each other and look at each others work... :)

Carols Glass 2011-05-31 9:13pm

You know, I just realized that I have been making beads for 5 years now and have never met one lampworker in person?

I bet it really is a lot of fun. I can only imagine.

zen-mom 2011-05-31 9:18pm

No! Are you serious??

I'd never have guessed that, your beads are gorgeous!

Carols Glass 2011-05-31 9:23pm

Thank you so much, Donna!

zen-mom 2011-05-31 9:26pm

:)

Carols Glass 2011-05-31 9:31pm

You have some gorgeous focals on your website, WOW!

Carols Glass 2011-06-01 12:14pm

Donna, when I look at your other products, there are no pictures for them.

Are you remodeling?

zen-mom 2011-06-01 1:06pm

Yes, we merged two websites... when the merge happened we lost all the photos. I've been working on it alone. It's boring... It took me two 10 hour days just to do the Effetre.