Lampwork Etc.

Lampwork Etc. (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/index.php)
-   Tips, Techniques, and Questions (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Messy Color~Leaky Pen and Gellys Pink (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44022)

Bluebananabeads 2007-01-14 11:16am

Messy Color~Leaky Pen and Gellys Pink

Im thinking of ordering some of these 2 colors,but I havent seen any beads made from them and would LOVE to see some beads to make my desicion8-[ . Also please tell me what you think about the colors! Thanks!!!;-)

papimom 2007-01-14 12:21pm

Got to try most of the CIM glasses a few weeks ago. Loved the pink; it maintains it's color and doesn't seem so shocky. The Leaky Pen is a very saturated color. It worked well when encasing pale pastels and pulling as stringers; same thing with the Bordello just watch overheating it, it will brown out on you..
The Celadon is a wonderful color; and the Cyrus and Halong Bay made wonderful subtle encasement glasses. They are relatively clear to begin with, but the opacifiers really come out as they are heated repeatedly.
Joan

tasminann 2007-01-14 2:14pm

I have used Gelly Pink, Ginger and Celadon, they work well. I also have the French Blue and Rose Quartz. Haven't used them yet, but they are sure pretty in rod form.

lldesigns 2007-01-14 2:37pm

Love, love, love ink blue! I like the pink as well but it's cracked on me a couple of times... I have bad luck with pinks in general.

villa design 2007-01-14 4:16pm

Leaky pen and Ginger are my fav colors. :) I haven't had time to play with their new colors yet.

jknappcampbell 2007-01-14 4:16pm

I love leaky pen and the gelly pink is an ok pink, I agree it would be better if it had a little more saturation. Leaky pen for sure!

Hothead Beads 2007-01-14 4:31pm

These were made with leaky pen.

Lara 2007-01-14 5:05pm

Kim - I LOVE LOVE LOVE the transparent horses. I don't know if I have seen a transparent base before and if I did I think it was etched? LOVELY

Hannah - I haven't tried either, but I have seen the leaky pen and I like it alot. I'm with Kandice on the pink I have seen.

Bluebananabeads 2007-01-14 5:25pm

Thanks everyone! Anymore pics?

BarbC 2007-01-14 5:44pm

I loved the leaky pen but had better results when I put it over a clear base. Had the pink and celadon for a while and they look great with french blue. I really am in love with the french blue. I have some of the peacock green and because its stiffer I hope I can use it to make a hollow bead! ( at last). I loved the bordello but burned the heck out my second one! My first is very pretty translucent red. Cant do justice with the cirus yet. Still have the ginger and the other color.
the translucent blue is pretty too

These are a stiffer slower to melt glass and sometimes thats a help! Give'em all a try!

jana 2007-01-14 5:53pm

I agree about the Leaky Pen...and it really needs to be thinned out with a clear or put it over white....it's very saturated.

elasia 2007-01-16 7:33am

only tried leaky pen (love!), celedon, french blue and bordello.

leaky pen, not sure if anyone that has played yet has found that it can turn metallic? (sorry if i'm repeating what's been said 2,000 times but i rarely have time to read)

simple beads so i could show them better.
spacers...4 on left are normal, 4 on right metallic.

starts silver, then blues/greens, then *pinks, then copper the more you reduce.

cannot wait to try cirrus and halong bay.
oh! been meaning to ask, halong bay, it looks like there's an opal sheen to it on the site? is there or is it just the photo?

chrissij 2007-01-16 7:49am

Love the leaky pen; love the ginger (as long as I don't reduce it). I had swirled some of the double helix and R4 colors on it, and when hit with a reduction flame, it turns an icky, mottled rust color...or at least it did for me.

papimom 2007-01-16 8:35am

Cirrus and Haalong Bay both have an opalescence to them. Takes some time in and out of the flame to really bring it out.
Joan

lurvey 2007-01-16 9:22am

I've just played with the cim colors a bit, but my favorites (that came in the sample pack) are the leaky pen and the rose quartz.
Kelly

Ellen Haskell 2007-01-16 1:02pm

I made my first hollow bead with a Moretti teal green the other day. It was my first try and I followed the directions I picked up here in the tutorials to the letter. Worked great and I did it on my first try. It gave me confidence to try another one in clear, which failed terrribly since clear is pretty runny. So back to green to ppp on making hollow beads.

Kathy 2007-01-20 3:43pm

Working Properties of Gelly's Sty

We've discovered that people who have the most success with Gelly's Sty are using it as the body of a piece, or in sculptural work. We've posted a few photos here:

http://www.creationismessy.com/color.aspx?id=2

When you use Gelly's Sty to make dots or stringers which are then applied on top of other colors, Gelly's Sty does lose some of its saturation / hue.

Hope that helps.

Kathy

HONEYBUNNY72_99 2007-01-20 9:10pm

I love the Ginger & Buttter Pecan for my seashell beads.The Gelly Pink is my favorite pink ever and I love it as a base color!Leaky pen looks like it will be great for encasing white and pulling stringer for roses:)Cirrus and Halong Bay are absolutely dreamy!!!! I will have to get some pics in the AM:)
Tina

Peach Blossom Beads 2007-01-21 1:51am

Kathy:
FYI - I used cirrus, halong bay, & parrot green together in a bead and the bead kept cracking. It was a small sculptural flower. I fixed it, put it back in the kiln, and it cracked again. Heck! It wanted to crack while I was making it... none of CIM glass holds heat very well at all. Alone the colors were fine, but together they weren't. I even put it in the kiln glowing the second time, plus when I fixed it I made sure the petals were even thicker, just in case. (I was trying to think of everything). But it didn't JUST break at the petal, it broke through the bead. None of the other flowers I made that day broke (out of moretti colors), just the one made fo the CIM glass. Any hints??? And, no, it wasn't encased. Thanks!

HONEYBUNNY72_99 2007-01-21 9:55am

Any plans for CIM to make commercial stringers?I hate pulling stringer and would love to buy them ready made:)
Tina

CO_Phantom 2007-01-21 7:35pm

I just ordered a sampler of CIM colors and I can't wait to try them! Leaky pen was one of my favorites from the looks of them. You guys have given me some ideas on how to work with them. Thanks!! I can't wait!!!!

Kathy 2007-01-22 5:40am

Cirrus / Halong Bay / Peacock Green

1 Attachment(s)
Here are beads made with all three colors. Please forgive the photo. Tina, thanks for your suggestion about stringers . . . hadn't really given that any thought until now!

Kellylynn 2007-01-22 9:35am

Kathy
Do all the Messy Colors need to be annealed at a higher temp? I have my kiln set at 960 and love using the pink. I pair it with some vetrofond colors (brown). Should I up my temp for the pink? My kiln came with the 960 already preprogrammed, so figured that is what is should be for all 104's.
Thanks and I would love to see stringers too!
Kelly
Niceville FL

Kevan 2007-01-22 5:44pm

Gelly Pink and rose quartz with Effetre sage green and Vetrofond white.

http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o...ksnowflake.jpg

Anne Londez 2007-01-23 2:09am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kathy (Post 955881)
Kelly, our testing shows different annealing temperatures for each color. You should be fine at 960 with Gelly's Sty:

Gelly’s Sty 950
Ginger 1010
Celadon 1030
Butter Pecan 1050
Bordello 940
Leaky Pen 980

Kathy, is that related to a difference in COE's for the different colors ?

SadiesJewels 2007-01-23 8:48am

That was going to be my next question Kathy ... lol.

I haven't yet tried any of these glasses but have been seeking something like the cirrus from the time I began beadmaking about 4 years ago ... I have some old jewelry with milky pink beads which I love. Of course I'm going through a mad scientist reaction mad phase right now).

Sadie

rainygrrl 2007-01-23 10:52am

Sadie, the rose quartz is probably a lot like your milky pink beads. It's gorgeous.

Kevan 2007-01-23 1:01pm

I just don't understand how I never knew about the 96 CIM glass. lol

Kathy 2007-01-23 3:47pm

Messy 96

Since our line of Messy 96 glass cane is small - and there isn't a whole lot of it- I've been putting my energies into making more 104 colors.

We're selling the Messy 96 through Frantz and Phoenix. There are a couple very unique colors like F90 and F93 that might be worth exploring- though those two might not be to your particular palette tastes, Kevan. (Both are earthy and organic, and I think you prefer bright.) I just found a beautiful non striking transparent red at the factory yesterday, which tested compatible. So I'll be shipping some red to Frantz, too.

Frantz put photos in their last e-newsletter, I think . . .

Kathy

CO_Phantom 2007-02-01 11:45am

Do we know anything about annealing schedules with 2 different colors with different temps in them yet? Could we just garage at 1050 (with the exception (?) of halong bay....which is 1070)? Would halong bay survive garaging at 1050?

-Amy