Lampwork Etc.

Lampwork Etc. (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/index.php)
-   Torch Questions (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=55)
-   -   Need Generator Advice! (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11824)

candygeek 2006-01-14 11:41am

Need Generator Advice!

Mods, feel free to move this if it is not in the appropriate place.

I'm looking to purchase a generator with this year's tax refund to run a Lynx really well or a Cheetah decently (not both at the same time) However, I'm confused by all the different types out there. Is there anyone who ~owns~ one and can recommend their brand and where they purchased it? I need some buying advice!! :-k

candygeek 2006-01-14 1:04pm

Well, I did find one thread about them...

http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...ight=generator

but I would still love to hear from other owners :) [-o<

WhiskerWood 2006-01-14 1:17pm

I heard that there will be a OG-20 coming out soon that is supposed to be WAY better than the OG-15...
But other than that I don't know anything about them...

I have two concentrators and they run my Lynx great!

Lizabeads 2006-01-14 1:31pm

Do you really mean generator or are you talking about a concentrator?

candygeek 2006-01-14 1:57pm

nope I know the difference. I have a concentrator now and it doesn't have enough OOMPH and I want to do boro and not have it take all day :)

LoriGreenberg 2006-01-14 2:08pm

I use a lynx and have used 1 concentrator, 2 concentrators, a generator and now a generator with a holding tank. (OG15) I'm considering upgrading to the OG20 when it comes out.

I purchased my OG15 used and I haven't been completely happy with it. It could have been damaged in shipping somehow but I don't know. maybe my expectations were just too high. I've spent hours on the phone trying to figure it out and now just think that's how it works. I thought getting the holding tank would mean it would turn off for a while while I worked but it doesn't. The tank does give you an added reserve of oxygen so it does run with more O2 output than without it. That is a big bonus.

Working straight from the generator (without the additional $500 holding tank) I felt was the same as 2 concentrators.

Don't get me wrong...right now the generator and holding tank are my set up of choice but I would go with the OG20 if I were just now making my first decision to buy one.

Mr. Smiley 2006-01-14 2:30pm

The M-30 is coming out and it's a concentrator. It will put out 20 LPM at 30 PSI, which is a LOT of Oomph, for much less $$$. The M-20 is what JC is running her Cuda on and she's loving how it melts boro. I haven't tried that set up myself, but the expensive generators are a thing of the past in my opinion. ;) :love:

LoriGreenberg 2006-01-14 2:38pm

Do tell what the M30 concentrator is!

Mr. Smiley 2006-01-14 3:29pm

The M-30 is a concentrator I can't wait to get my hands on. The company has already released the M-10 and M-20. Those are 10 LPM units. The M-10 is 10 PSI and the M-20 is 20 PSI. They are finishing up the M-30... it's going to be an awesome unit. I'll have to check on the M-10 and M-20 prices... it's VERY reasonable and they are quiet like a mouse. ;) The M-30 hasn't been priced yet, but it's sure to be the best value. :love:

Lisi 2006-01-14 4:22pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Smiley
The M-30 is a concentrator I can't wait to get my hands on. The company has already released the M-10 and M-20. Those are 10 LPM units. The M-10 is 10 PSI and the M-20 is 20 PSI. They are finishing up the M-30... it's going to be an awesome unit. I'll have to check on the M-10 and M-20 prices... it's VERY reasonable and they are quiet like a mouse. ;) The M-30 hasn't been priced yet, but it's sure to be the best value. :love:

Brent,

Do you know if these concentrators can handle the humidity in our type of climate? The reason I chose my Airsep AS-12A generator (the high pressure one @ $2400, ouch!) over the OG-15 is because supposedly it can run well in humid climates. (no problems with it yet!) I've heard and read that the OG-15 sieve beds can become saturated and damaged from humidity and those machines like 70% or less. You know as well as I do that we have near 100% most of the year, lol!

I'm kind of regretting the fact that I spent so much on mine, but I did buy it nearly two years ago, and that's long before the new and much lower priced machines came out. I would like to look into something else in the future to run a Barracuda to its optimum performance without the use of tanks, I hope. :)

Sorry, I don't mean to butt into the thread with my questions, but it's something to consider before buying! ;)

candygeek 2006-01-14 5:22pm

no, that's a great question! I live in Alabama and we have humidity about 85% of the time so it is pertinent to me as well. ;)

Who makes the M-20 and M-30? will they be available through one of the lampwork suppliers or is it something that is purchased direct?

Mr. Smiley 2006-01-14 7:16pm

I will be carrying them. Generations and Art Glass House has them too. I'll double check the humidity thing... I know it hasn't been mentioned as a problem. People run other concentrators down here without a problem... but it's definitely a question better answered early. :D

KCDesigns 2006-01-14 7:35pm

I have the M-20 and I haven't had any problems with it. I also have a studio with a/c but when I work in the summer it is still humid since the windows are open for the vent fan (though I do work at night not during the heat of the day.
When I am not working the studio stays 78 degrees (a/c) in the summer.
I haven't had my concentrator for very long got it when they first came out. I love it, it's pretty quiet I love that it doesn't have that screeching alarm like the medical concentrators!!

KCDesigns 2006-01-14 7:37pm

lol I just realized the other thread is the one I started.

Lizabeads 2006-01-14 9:35pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by candygeek
nope I know the difference. I have a concentrator now and it doesn't have enough OOMPH and I want to do boro and not have it take all day :)

I'm sorry I didn't mean to insinuate that you didn't know the difference just maybe misspoke or did like I do some times with my dyslexia... thinking one thing and fingers type another...hehehe

candygeek 2006-01-14 9:41pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lizabeads
I'm sorry I didn't mean to insinuate that you didn't know the difference just maybe misspoke or did like I do some times with my dyslexia... thinking one thing and fingers type another...hehehe

No worries! I should have said I wanted to upgrade from a 5 lpm concentrator to a generator and that would probably have made it more clear :)

Hey Mr. Smiley, can you PM me some more info on the M-30, like when you might have some available? :cool:

Jennifer Geldard 2006-02-06 10:34am

BUMP!
Brent... I'm VERY interested in the M30... any news yet?

basementstudiobeads 2006-02-06 11:19am

Me too. Can you post it here or pm and and let me know when they will be available and how much they are? Thanks very much.

LoriGreenberg 2006-02-06 2:16pm

I just sold my OG15 and holding tank and replaced it with an Integra10 from Paulette at Suncoast Beads.

Holy CRAP! I don't know if they're along the same lines as the others you're talking about (I saw them in Tucson and think they might be) but it was $1530 (almost half of what the OG15 and tank costs new). I'm kicking myself for not doing it sooner. I think we need a smiley for that. ::kick kick kick::

Oh, and it's a lot quieter and takes up about 1/3 the space, which was my main reason for selling the OG15.

suzee 2006-02-06 3:08pm

My Integra 10 from Paulette ROCKS my world!!!.....But, I'm working on a Nortel Midrange, doing mostly boro beads.....so some people think that I'm easily rocked. :rolleyes: Gives me MORE than enough heat, and I have to admit that I was a bit skeptical at first. Won't ever want to go back to hauling tanks again!

Peace,
Suzee

rightbrainbeads 2006-02-06 7:17pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lizabeads
Do you really mean generator or are you talking about a concentrator?

The line between a concentrator and a generator is fuzzy at best! :biggrin:

Paulette's Integra 10 is called a concentrator, and its output exceeds OGSI's OG-15 'generator'.

I vote for the Integra 10 any day! It's an awesome machine and isn't supposed to be bothered by humidity. I checked because it's humid here on the Olympic Peninsula... I've been running my Barracuda on one for almost a year now. And it has no filters to change-- you just wash the spongy pre-filter on the top of the unit once in a while (I can't remember how often the literature says to do it).

Would not recommend an OGSI machine to anyone (I had one with a holding tank), but the M-20 and M-30 sound great!

lynne

Jennifer Geldard 2006-02-15 4:13pm

Bump!

Jude Rose 2006-02-15 6:55pm

I will go out on a limb and say I'm not sold on the M-20. I've seen a few side by side comparisons, and it doesn't put out the kind of pressure I like.
I feel like the Integra10 is more like a tank of oxy. Turn it on and go.
JMHO

ChaseDesigns 2006-02-16 8:12am

Well, we have used a generator with a holding tank once. The only reason I see for getting a generator at this point is if you want a holding tank too.

We have an M20, and have had some issues with it. If I was going to do it again, I would spend the extra money and get the integra 10 which we have also had the opportnity to use. We have a barracuda and both machines run it very hot.

ellen h 2006-05-16 8:36am

Any new suggestions-ithis thread is a few months old....Which concentrator,generator for use with Cheetah and a G-Tec 30?

kbinkster 2006-05-16 9:10am

It is my understanding that the M20 is being discontinued (purity issues) and an M15 will be added to the line-up. Did Kristian start carrying them again? I thought he had discontinued them.

Anyway, the M10 outran the M20 when GTT tested some units recently (So. Central sent some replacement units :)). The M10 ran the Lynx at about 50-60%. This is actually pretty good, especially for soft glass. It ran the Bobcat at full throttle.

I run a Lynx, the centerfire of my Phantom (same as my Lynx), and a Cheetah on an Integra10 (not at the same time). It puts out 10 lpm at 9 psi. The Lynx needs around 10-15 psi oxygen to get the most out of it. So, the Integra10 runs it at about 90% or so. There's just a little bit on that top end that it can't get.

EDIT: I just saw that this was an old thread that was bumped up. If you are working soft glass or small/mediumish boro, I would recommend the Integra10 for the Cheetah. It runs nicely for those applications. Pam Dugger uses an OG20 on a Cheetah and is happy with it for her work.

pam 2006-05-16 9:44am

Yes, I purchased the OG-20 with my Cheetah and cannot praise it enough. It is wonderful. I do not get the full range of the Cheetah, but I would guesstimate at approximately 75%. Since I never ran the Cheetah full anyway that small amount doesn't affect me. The purity is exquisite - never a reductive flame, unles I dial it in. It is a wonderful machine.

KCDesigns 2006-05-16 9:55am

Now this is what i get for not staying up with the boards!!
I have been working so hard lately I haven't had much of a chance to catch up here.

I have an M-20 and I was impressed at first but then I realized it wasn't nearly as hot as two used cocentrators together so I hooked on of my used conscetrators up and am running both on my Minor. I like to work hot.

I bought mine from Kristen, I didn't know he discontinued them. Kim, do you know why? Now I am wishing I had spent $300 less and gone with the M10.

Kim Cook

Quote:

Originally Posted by kbinkster
It is my understanding that the M20 is being discontinued (purity issues) and an M15 will be added to the line-up. Did Kristian start carrying them again? I thought he had discontinued them.

Anyway, the M10 outran the M20 when GTT tested some units recently (So. Central sent some replacement units :)). The M10 ran the Lynx at about 50-60%. This is actually pretty good, especially for soft glass. It ran the Bobcat at full throttle.

I run a Lynx, the centerfire of my Phantom (same as my Lynx), and a Cheetah on an Integra10 (not at the same time). It puts out 10 lpm at 9 psi. The Lynx needs around 10-15 psi oxygen to get the most out of it. So, the Integra10 runs it at about 90% or so. There's just a little bit on that top end that it can't get.

EDIT: I just saw that this was an old thread that was bumped up. If you are working soft glass or small/mediumish boro, I would recommend the Integra10 for the Cheetah. It runs nicely for those applications. Pam Dugger uses an OG20 on a Cheetah and is happy with it for her work.

kbinkster 2006-05-16 10:35am

Well, I cannot find the post I remembered. Maybe it is not on this forum, or maybe whatever problem there was has been resolved and the post was deleted.

But, there were problems with purity, which is why you aren't seeing the heat you had with two linked concentrators. I don't know what anyone plans to do, but there is a 6 month warranty in place. If your M20 isn't performing as it should, and your purchase was recent enough to be covered, you could see about having it repaired/replaced. I have read about So. Central Cryo./Unlimited Oxygen standing behind their products. I know that they are working with GTT on resolving the problem about the bad units they got. So, you should be taken care of, I would think.

Justin L 2006-05-17 11:00am

And people said I was being mean when I said those units wouldnt last long...they're already discontinuing them :lol: