Lampwork Etc.

Lampwork Etc. (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/index.php)
-   Tips, Techniques, and Questions (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Frosted Mirror prop (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=303934)

melzip 2017-12-20 8:32am

Frosted Mirror prop

Hi everyone,

I am on the hunt for another one of those frosted mirrors that are used as props for displaying our beads. I bought one several years ago from someone in the UK (they were not available in the US) but over the years has gotten all scratched.

I tried making my own with the spray frost and a mirror, but it is too frosted, even with one coat. In my pictures of beads a few years back, you could see the reflection of the bead, but it was subtle and not as reflective as a mirror. I have uploaded a picture of my beads taken on this same prop.

Anyone remember the seller or even know if I can get something like it here?

Your help is greatly appreciated!

notrhydon 2017-12-20 9:39am

I'd try a coat or two of a matte clear coat spray on a mirror. Should get you close to the desired finish with little fussing about or searching. The frosting spray tends to make it just whiter rather than just fuzzier.

That's a great effect though! Looks really fantastic with such high contrast designs in your photo above.

melzip 2017-12-20 10:19am

Thank you for the suggestion. I'm off to try that! I'll let you know the results. :razz:

Beatrix 2017-12-20 11:26am

Another thing to try is finding a piece of non glare glass and putting that on a black surface, or even resting it on a mirror to see what kinds of effects you can get. Non glare glass is pretty cheap, especially at the sizes you're talking. In fact, if you want a chunk I can mail you off some.

melzip 2017-12-20 11:38am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beatrix (Post 4967947)
Another thing to try is finding a piece of non glare glass and putting that on a black surface, or even resting it on a mirror to see what kinds of effects you can get. Non glare glass is pretty cheap, especially at the sizes you're talking. In fact, if you want a chunk I can mail you off some.

Thank you! I would most definitely be interested in a piece of your non-glare glass if you don't mind. I really appreciate the offer, that is so sweet of you. My paypal is mwillette@wi.rr.com if you want to shoot me an invoice. :grin:

melzip 2017-12-20 11:44am

Quote:

Originally Posted by notrhydon (Post 4967932)
I'd try a coat or two of a matte clear coat spray on a mirror. Should get you close to the desired finish with little fussing about or searching. The frosting spray tends to make it just whiter rather than just fuzzier.

That's a great effect though! Looks really fantastic with such high contrast designs in your photo above.

Ryan, your suggestion is a great one! Here is the result of one spray across a mirror. It looks great, however, do you know of any way to avoid the grainy texture seen on the surface? Yes, I know I am being anal, but I would prefer a smooth coat. Was that from temperature maybe? I sprayed it in my garage and it's about 40 degrees in there.

notrhydon 2017-12-20 11:51am

Quote:

Originally Posted by melzip (Post 4967949)
Ryan, your suggestion is a great one! Here is the result of one spray across a mirror. It looks great, however, do you know of any way to avoid the grainy texture seen on the surface? Yes, I know I am being anal, but I would prefer a smooth coat. Was that from temperature maybe? I sprayed it in my garage and it's about 40 degrees in there.

I'd bet it was the temp. That spray can get picky. Also shake the tar out of it for a few minutes!

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

melzip 2017-12-20 12:01pm

And I was mistaken, it's 27 degrees out, not 40's. Maybe I will resort to the basement.

Chocake 2017-12-20 2:48pm

I rather like the grainy-ness. Looks velvety.

KJohn 2017-12-20 3:14pm

I like the grainy-ness too. Kind of an organic look that balances with the glass, looks nice! I want one ;)

PattyK 2017-12-20 3:28pm

I like that texture too .. it's a nice contrast with the smooth shine of the glass.

melzip 2017-12-20 3:47pm

Well thanks to Ryan, I was able to custom-make my own! I am so appreciative. And thanks, you guys made me feel better about having the texture on there! Always helps to have others' opinions.

THANKS!
Melissa

glass addict 2017-12-22 9:47pm

Hi! So how geeky am I.... i'm a paint chemist that has lots of aerosol experience!! The texture may also be attributed to a dry spray. Give it enough so the paint looks smooth and glossy. It will dry matte. Good luck!

Mary

5betsy 2017-12-24 10:11am

Another totally different possibility is to use a highly polished silver colored platter or a chromed surface.

They will produce nice reflections too.

melzip 2018-01-01 8:10am

Thank you, Mary! That's a great suggestion, and one I plan on trying!

Melissa

Quote:

Originally Posted by glass addict (Post 4968277)
Hi! So how geeky am I.... i'm a paint chemist that has lots of aerosol experience!! The texture may also be attributed to a dry spray. Give it enough so the paint looks smooth and glossy. It will dry matte. Good luck!

Mary

melzip 2018-01-01 8:12am

Great suggestion! Thank you. I also wondered about buying a spray-on mirror coating and trying that. I figured because it was a spray, maybe it wouldn't produce as much a reflection as an actual mirror.

Melissa

Quote:

Originally Posted by 5betsy (Post 4968438)
Another totally different possibility is to use a highly polished silver colored platter or a chromed surface.

They will produce nice reflections too.

losthelm 2018-01-01 11:38am

I wonder if a top coat of something like modpodge or hair spray would have a similar effect.