Lampwork Etc.

Lampwork Etc. (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/index.php)
-   Tips, Techniques, and Questions (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Help with getting my implosion to spiral? (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=303567)

NeverSummerGlass 2017-11-20 11:13pm

Help with getting my implosion to spiral?

Hey everyone Ive been desperately trying to figure out how other artists get their implosions to have that gorgeous spiral to them. Is it from puntying up to the back or front and twisting it? I've tried this but it doesn't quite look like the spiral implosions I'm going after. Is it from simply spinning it very fast while imploding? If anyone has any tips or tricks it would be much appreciated. Thanks for your time!!

Eileen 2017-11-21 9:04am

Are you making a bead? Marble?

NeverSummerGlass 2017-11-21 11:01am

Pendant

NeverSummerGlass 2017-11-21 11:08am

1 Attachment(s)
I'm trying to achieve an affect similar to this. Do I need to punty up and twist it or is from spinning the pendant very fast while imploding?

Speedslug 2017-11-21 1:53pm

It is not from spinning the pendant very fast while imploding.

I have never done anything like that but the videos I have watched make me think this was imploded then twisted with a huge amount of glass added and then removed on both the lens and the back sides.

It could also have been done on the inside of a glass tube and then condensed into a solid with rotations on both ends in opposite directions.

Its a beautiful work but I can see an easy decade of experience in the skill of making it.

Ravenesque 2017-11-21 3:28pm

^yes this, twist the top

I would post in the boro room if you are working with boro
http://lampworketc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=54

NeverSummerGlass 2017-11-22 8:41pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ravenesque (Post 4964248)
^yes this, twist the top

I would post in the boro room if you are working with boro
http://lampworketc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=54

Ah that's what I thought. I've been twisting the bottom not the top so now I know where I've been going wrong. Thank you all so much!

LarryC 2017-12-02 9:50am

Make 100 of them and it will become easy. It also will allow you to make them your own rather then like someone else's. Really.

Chocake 2017-12-02 6:23pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by LarryC (Post 4965587)
Make 100 of them and it will become easy. It also will allow you to make them your own rather then like someone else's. Really.

So true!!

Locococo 2017-12-04 1:59am

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chocake (Post 4965689)
So true!!

This section is called "Tips, Techniques, and Questions"
So why not ask about it? :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Mesnik 2017-12-04 6:28pm

Make a 100...but if you are making it wrong, you can make 1,000,000 and will still not be right!

; )

LarryC 2017-12-08 5:30pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mesnik (Post 4965926)
Make a 100...but if you are making it wrong, you can make 1,000,000 and will still not be right!

; )

Haha! Ridiculous. This is not rocket science. There is no right or wrong way. If you figure it out on your own, you have actually learned something about the material beyond one single technique. That is how you progress.

vetropod 2017-12-09 6:54am

Quote:

Words of wisdom right there. =D>

lotusbunny2009 2017-12-13 11:36am

Quote:

Originally Posted by NeverSummerGlass (Post 4964498)
Ah that's what I thought. I've been twisting the bottom not the top so now I know where I've been going wrong. Thank you all so much!

Thanks for posting your question! I'm glad you got an answer--asking such questions helps all of us on the forum. Karen

melzip 2017-12-14 9:56am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Locococo (Post 4965809)
This section is called "Tips, Techniques, and Questions"
So why not ask about it? :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

LarryC 2017-12-18 6:57pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by melzip (Post 4967161)

My response was not intended to suggest that asking is inappropriate but that the question is short sighted. Its a ridiculously easy skill assuming you have worked to understand the basics of working with this material. In my experience it would be best in a situation like this to teach concepts and understanding rather than to supply a cookbook or tutorial on one single technique. Its tempting to jump right into a tutorial but honestly it shortcuts the whole learning process. You can surely learn one single thing or if you resist taking the easy path and take the approach I suggest, you will learn so much more. There are no shortcuts worth taking with this material.

fourpawsglass 2017-12-29 6:37am

Since no one actually answered your question - I will. After you have placed your dots on the maria and imploded them, get the back of the maria hot enough to make the glass move, then take a cold rod of glass (I like to use a smaller mm size - say around 4mm) and stab into the middle of your circle of dots (don't go too deep - just on the surface) and give it a half twist. Let the smaller rod cool and snap it off (wiggle back and forth until the glass snaps). Resmooth the back of the maria. You can then put on your backing color.