Lampwork Etc.

Lampwork Etc. (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/index.php)
-   Tips, Techniques, and Questions (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Poll on bead presses and shapeing tools (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=62904)

Ravenesque 2011-10-20 3:13am

Quote:

Originally Posted by debkauz (Post 1323174)
Well I couldn't vote because I have 10-15 and I almost NEVER use them.

Same but I have about 5. I use my torch marver the most.

EchoTantuli 2011-10-23 5:38pm

The tools I couldn't live without, and use everyday...are the stump shaper, the stick shift, the mini shapers and the tube roller.
-Echo :biggrin:

Jammy 2011-10-23 7:02pm

Sometimes I shape a bead in one tool, then change my mind and move it on to another one.

cgbeads 2011-11-13 7:49am

(Melissa has the hang of it) Tools are to help shape with, not necessarily the end of the process.

I'm kind of fond of the beadrollers myself [so I don't think I can vote *grin*] , but I use a tungsten pick more than anything.

-D

Lorraine Chandler 2011-11-13 10:02am

Thanks Donna for posting. I am always amazed at the precision and quality of your tools. My new shed is being built tomorrow\\:D/ and I made a deal with DH. When he buys his new larger gun safe I get the old one.

I will put it in my studio and bolt it into the floor and all of my CGBeadrollers are getting locked in it along with my other favored tools and rare glass, gold, silver etc.

Eileen 2011-11-13 9:22pm

I have two graphite marvers, a handful of "picks" of different configurations, a pair of needle nose pliers, a regular and the kind you "squeeze to open" pointed tweezers, and to squeeze into a flatter shape I have a pair of ice tongs and a small salad (I think) tongs. I think that's it. I wasn't sure if that's the type of shaping tools you meant so didn't do the poll.

Pia Kaven 2011-11-14 1:03pm

I have ton of toold... I have several different types of paddles, mostly use small stump, or magic wand. I also have a crap ton of presses and bead rollers, most bought second hand, except few bead rollers... And I horde them all, but dont use them quite as much as I would love to. I like to work fast, and most of the time the learning curve for some tools, and learning the right amount of glass is just too much for my patience, but love them all, and dont want to give up any of them!
My mostly used presses are hands down crunch presses!

Pia Kaven 2011-11-14 1:04pm

Oh, and didnt vote, since there isnt an option for a tool hoes who just like to collect them to have something to dust... :roll:

Eileen 2011-11-14 8:34pm

I had a vision of Smeegle (I think that was his name) in Lord of the Rings, gazing at the ring... My precious! :)

Lorraine Chandler 2011-11-17 11:32pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eileen (Post 3781747)
I had a vision of Smeegle (I think that was his name) in Lord of the Rings, gazing at the ring... My precious! :)

:-s I have NO idea what that has got to do with lampworking tools?

Pia Kaven 2011-11-18 1:00am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lorraine Chandler (Post 3786200)
:-s I have NO idea what that has got to do with lampworking tools?

He is the weird creature in Lord of the Rings, that was so obsessed by the ring, that everything he did was controlled by it, and he loved it so much he talked to it with this mad gaze in his eyes, and called it his precious. Tool hoe, like me, would sure behave like he did :lol: You really need to see the movie to get the connection. :)

Lorraine Chandler 2011-11-18 11:30pm

Oh, Okay. I didn't watch any of those. But now that makes much more sense. Thank-you.

EmeryLawson 2017-09-02 1:55pm

So many tools, so little time.......

I have so many tools, where to begin........I have to say I recently splurged and bought a Carlo Dona bellflower press. I love that I can use the last of my oxygen making great little flowers but not have to worry about losing lots of glass if I run out.

carolinesbeads 2017-09-09 12:10am

Well this is an old thread but I have to comment. I love tools! I have more than 20 presses and rollers that I use. I tend to go in spurts. Right now I am in love with my Bavarian beads heart press 3d. I also just got a butterfly wing press from Perlenpresse that is taking some getting use to but I really like it. I do bulk buy's to Perlenpresse often so if I get something I don't like I just sell it and buy something else. The tools I cant live without though are my Perlenpresse round bead roller. My Perlenpresse straight sided lentil trio. I also like my fine tungsten pick and my brass knife. I usually have 3 or 4 presses plus a bunch of shaping tools on my workbench ever time I work.

Caroline

Vivian007 2017-09-18 2:56pm

The bavarian bead heart press is one of my favs as well. Although the one I use the most is my CGbeadrollers.
Jenn

Lorraine Chandler 2018-04-26 12:31pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by EmeryLawson (Post 4952174)
I have so many tools, where to begin........I have to say I recently splurged and bought a Carlo Dona bellflower press. I love that I can use the last of my oxygen making great little flowers but not have to worry about losing lots of glass if I run out.

Great Idea and sure beats pulling twisties or stringers.:shock:

I find that I lose interest in about half the tools as other designs become available from different tool makers. NOW I completely understand hubby with at least a dozen hammers, saws etc. All called by the same tool name but different.

We just had a Harbor Freight move into our town. Can you say THRILLED!!!!!\\:D/:waving::fireblob::happy: