Lampwork Etc.

Lampwork Etc. (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/index.php)
-   Tips, Techniques, and Questions (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   "Big Hole" Beadmakers Question (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=226581)

gracedorsey 2012-06-22 10:52am

"Big Hole" Beadmakers Question

I bought a big hole mandrel at the last Gathering and I've had some fun with it. However, getting the bead off of it is a real b@#%h. I've been using the Universal Bead Release from Frantz. I've tried soaking them, freezing them, and trying to dig the release out from under the edges. Sometimes I end up breaking the bead just to get it off out of total frustration! I've tugged and pulled the mandrel so much it's off center.

Can anyone suggest a mandrel release that would make it easier to remove?

glassactcc 2012-06-22 11:58am

I use Super Blue Sludge and never have a problem. I soak for awhile and it comes right off but holds tight while working it. I use that for everything. My favorite bead release.

loribeads 2012-06-22 12:02pm

Fusion.

5betsy 2012-06-22 1:31pm

I use Alice's Kiln Wash mixed with Fusion. Holds tight and then slides off.

Plus, it's waaaaay cheap.

Margrieten 2012-06-22 1:37pm

Fusion! Is it possible at you are working to hot? That can also be a reason for not getting the bead off. Then, try to work cooler.

Good luck!

Kreszentia 2012-06-22 2:06pm

I coat them with a thick enough layer or dip them twice. I guess this makes it easier for the water to soak between bead and mandrel and lossen the bead release. Or whatever may be the reason, it helps.

Maybe you wanna try ...

elasia 2012-06-23 12:49am

I make a ton of those daily, fusion was my go-to, but lately the fusion has been cracking on BH mandrels so I use my Universal Bead Release go figure! I find it makes the holes tons smoother and easier to clean. It's the test bottles but I use either one. I don't even have to soak, they slide right off but it holds while working.

How are you bending them though?! (edit-oh the ones welded to a regular mandrel, nevermind)

It all depends on your environment what release works for you!

Nice colors btw :)

PerfectDeb 2012-06-23 6:00am

I've only ever had one stick and that was because I overheated it and cracked the release

gracedorsey 2012-06-23 7:54pm

Fusion it is! Thanks so much everyone! That will be my next purchase and I look forward to trying out your tips!

gracedorsey 2012-06-23 8:10pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kreszentia (Post 4031461)
I coat them with a thick enough layer or dip them twice. I guess this makes it easier for the water to soak between bead and mandrel and lossen the bead release. Or whatever may be the reason, it helps.

Maybe you wanna try ...

Tried that too, but the release cracks when it's dry and I just started over.

gracedorsey 2012-06-23 8:12pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by PerfectDeb (Post 4032166)
I've only ever had one stick and that was because I overheated it and cracked the release

I thought about that and worked it that way but I still got the same results. I probably have 4 success BH beads after all the soaking, freezing and digging even after that.

Toni Lutman 2012-06-23 10:26pm

I typically have the most problems getting beads off the mandrel if I didn't preheat it enough before applying glass. Here is some good info from Arrow Springs (check the 4th paragraph). It is talking about Sludge, but I do believe it applies to other releases as well.

istandalone24/7 2012-06-24 5:07am

fosterfire hd release is what i've been using on my bhb's....works great!
BOM would break every time!

Eileen 2012-06-24 6:52am

I just want to compliment you on that bead!
Also, I'd love to know how you got the inside so smooth & pretty so it looks like you didn't even use release!

zen-mom 2012-06-24 8:37am

50/50 mix of Fusion and Alice's... it's what we use in workshops at my studio.

gracedorsey 2012-06-24 9:27pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eileen (Post 4032955)
I just want to compliment you on that bead!
Also, I'd love to know how you got the inside so smooth & pretty so it looks like you didn't even use release!

Aww, thanks. Nothing to it. Just used the diamond drill bit on my dremel with running water.

And thanks again to everyone for all the great advise! I'll let you know how my next BH bead turns out.