Lampwork Etc.

Lampwork Etc. (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/index.php)
-   Tips, Techniques, and Questions (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Frit & silver foil question (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=271292)

Angie09 2014-10-21 7:08pm

Frit & silver foil question

I've read all the threads here on frit and have Val's book, etc. but I'm wondering if there is any general rule about whether to use transparent or opaque frit on silver foil? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Listenup 2014-10-21 7:30pm

I would think that if you used opaque, you wouldn't be able to see the silver foil underneath.

Having said that, I do have charts on my website that show how the different frits look with heavy silver leaf if that helps.
http://listen-up.org/kitty/beads/frit.htm

bexrox 2014-10-21 11:59pm

Using transparent frit over foil gives you the lovely jewel like colors all in shimmery goodness, as long as you don't burn the silver in too much. When you use opaque frit over foil, the foil will concentrate itself between the bits of frit for a really nice effect. Use both, use often, and have fun!

Angie09 2014-10-22 6:13am

Do you reduce at the end to accent the foil?

echeveria 2014-10-22 8:39am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Angie09 (Post 4666112)
Do you reduce at the end to accent the foil?

I don't because it always fumes the other colors

KJohn 2014-10-22 9:09am

I've always wondered about the reduction too, but it does tend to fume everything so I don't know why it is recommended. I find that using foil or a larger amount of the thicker leaf is needed to get any sparkly bits of silver. Also melting slower than normal. Anyone else have some tips for that?

jaci 2014-10-22 8:27pm

I make neat organic beads that I foil and frit with various reduction Frits both opaque and trans. I like to mix them. It gives a cool effect when some reduce and others do not. Many of the different opaque vs trans Frits will reduce and un-reduce at a different rate. If you can find a balance it's really neat. I have one in the kiln now I think it's an opaque teal and a trans green frit. Both reduction on foiled ivory. Reduced and semi un-reduced so the teal shows with the green still reduced. I'll see if I can remember to take a pic.

Angie09 2014-10-23 5:19am

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaci (Post 4666581)
I make neat organic beads that I foil and frit with various reduction Frits both opaque and trans. I like to mix them. It gives a cool effect when some reduce and others do not. Many of the different opaque vs trans Frits will reduce and un-reduce at a different rate. If you can find a balance it's really neat. I have one in the kiln now I think it's an opaque teal and a trans green frit. Both reduction on foiled ivory. Reduced and semi un-reduced so the teal shows with the green still reduced. I'll see if I can remember to take a pic.

Photo [-o<[-o<

cgbeads 2014-10-23 6:53am

I had a phase where I did a lot of silver foil w/frit so these are old pictures.

This is black base, silver foil, intense black frit, etched.

I think I had used Rubino to get the opal yellow dots to spread, and if memory serves me, I used double foil.

-Donna

Angie09 2014-10-23 7:07am

Quote:

Originally Posted by cgbeads (Post 4666670)
I had a phase where I did a lot of silver foil w/frit so these are old pictures.

This is black base, silver foil, intense black frit, etched.

I think I had used Rubino to get the opal yellow dots to spread, and if memory serves me, I used double foil.

-Donna

Those are beautiful Donna! Thanks!!

cgbeads 2014-10-23 7:15am

If you use a glass with spreading properties (ie, intense black and rubino) it will push the silver and bunch it up into lines.

upinflames 2014-10-27 12:38pm

Gorgeous beads Donna!

I'm addicted to silver leaf, foil, silvered glass and silver mesh! You can get so many cool looks and reactions and it's so much fun!