Lampwork Etc.

Lampwork Etc. (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/index.php)
-   Tips, Techniques, and Questions (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Med. topaz.... compatibility problem? (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=78427)

Dasi 2008-01-14 11:19am

Med. topaz.... compatibility problem?

I recently read a thread about topaz and problems with compatibility. here is the thread.
http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=76858

Now for my post. I did 10 floral beads yesterday. All different colors. Same lauscha clear. I used 3 rods for all 10 beads.... So there are 2 beads made with 2 rods of clear as I ran out.
Here is a picture of the beads.

The topaz beads are cracked. I am not a brown fan so I rarely do topaz as a base color. None of the other beads cracked and I almost never have cracks. They all were in the kiln together. I did not treat the topaz ones any different then the rest.

Anyone else use topaz lately that they encased?

CCraig 2008-01-14 11:24am

I encase all the topaz shades all the time and never have any problems. I just did a huge batch of them last week in fact preparing for Tucson.

Good Luck

RSimmons 2008-01-14 11:47am

I have had occasional problems with Med. Topaz cracking, though I think that it's more due to a greater sensitivity to temp. changes that it is to compatibility. I find that it thermal cracks pretty easily, more sensitive than many other transparents.

Robert

Dasi 2008-01-14 11:48am

I have a new batch of topaz. I encased my old batch of topaz too. I have encased hundreds of beads in the last couple of months and these are the first two to crack on me in hundreds!!! and I mean hundreds! I think it is strange that it is just the two topaz ones.

krista michael 2008-01-14 12:12pm

Could it be the lauscha in combination with the topaz? Try encasing the topaz in effetre or vetrofond and see what happens.

GinaJ 2008-01-14 12:32pm

I use topaz all the time, and I encase everything. I've not had any problems with cracking. (pretty beads, btw!)

shari 2008-01-14 12:36pm

I've never had an topaz problems either. Pretty beads!!

Otter's Flame 2008-01-14 3:55pm

I use a lot of topaz dark light and medium and I have not had a problem encasing it. I also use silver with it and encase it with no problems.

Otter

Dasi 2008-01-14 4:20pm

I have new test beads in the kiln to check again..... I did not just have thermal shock cracks. some of the cracks are going in different directions.

michey 2008-01-14 4:55pm

My opinion is there is a bad batch. I have a pound or two left of it and only use it as simple single color spacers because I can't trust it. It failed a simple stringer compatibility test and used in just simple beads, like splotched over white and black or over ivory it will craze crack. I estimate 1 out of 5 were crazed coming out of the kiln and 2-3 more cracked within the week. Some didn't crack. I tossed the entire batch of beads, cracked or not...several dozen.

It is just the topaz portion of the bead. On a couple I even had some of just the topaz melted in surface decoration pop out of the bead. Most defintley not thermal cracking. Thankfully I discovered the problem before I started shipping the beads. I have a new batch of glass in now but while it 'seems' ok I haven't had a chance to fully test the bundle.

michey

LoriGreenberg 2008-01-14 6:13pm

Yikes. Do you know what time frame that batch is from, Michey?

Sherry 2008-01-14 6:53pm

Heather, I've had cracks from encased topaz. This was at least 3 years ago, and I haven't had a problem since, probably since I almost never encase these days.

But I remember it well, it freaked me out. These were lentils, and the cracks weren't thermal, they were random....definitely compatabiltiy.

PaulaD 2008-01-14 8:53pm

I had wicked bad cracking with it too. I was blaming the ASK colors that I was using with it but now it's time to rethink that since you are all having the same problems. Cracked really easily. Paula

CCraig 2008-01-20 4:11pm

Well when this was first posted I had been having no problems at all. I got a new batch in of the pale topaz and made 20 of the 1" spree beads with it. No problems at all. Then yesterday I spent an entire day using the same glass on focals all over 2" in length. Every single bead was cracked this morning when I opened my kiln. The other large beads are fine.

In this case I did not encase the topaz but used it to encase over black and a bit of dark ivory. All animal print beads. Its really a shame too. I will have almost no animal focals for Tucson now. I used a bit under 1/2 lb of topaz yesterday.

I am using any I have left on simple single color spacers. I can't afford to lose another entire day of production.

Dasi 2008-01-28 6:55am

CCraig.....THIS is why I posted!
I was sure there was a problem batch of topaz and I did tests and now I am totally sure my batch is a problem batch.

I am sorry to hear a whole days work was cracked.

I have seen people post about problems before and I always make a note about any color that might have problems. I don't want to waste my time either. It really hurts when this happens. I even note a newbies problem with a color. Just because they are new does not mean they don't know what they are doing.

I wonder if there should be a running compatibility thread that lists a color that is a problem?

swamper 2008-01-28 7:02am

Thanks for posting this. Makes me wonder about my topaz (in the other thread) when I was leaning toward the ivory and silver.

I've had my med topaz about a year - well it was all thrown together with some about 2 years old. Maybe I should start separating batches so I'd have some compass when things go wrong.

Good idea about the compatability thread.

*Naos* 2008-01-28 7:40am

Which manufacturer is this? Effetre or Vetrofond? Looks like both pale and medium are having troubles?

PaulaD 2008-01-28 1:22pm

I like the compatibility thread idea too..
Paula

swamper 2008-01-28 1:52pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by *Naos* (Post 1613267)
Which manufacturer is this? Effetre or Vetrofond? Looks like both pale and medium are having troubles?

Mine was Effetre. I don't have any Vetrofond topaz to get it confused with.

CCraig 2008-01-28 2:48pm

My problem is with the Effetre.

Dasi 2008-01-28 4:54pm

Effetre here too!

michey 2008-01-28 5:45pm

Effetre for me too.

Lori sorry I missed your question about the batch a couple weeks ago. Mine was all bought last year I believe. I would need to dig back through receipts to verify that.

michey

LoriGreenberg 2008-01-28 8:31pm

Dang. I stocked up last year and just cracked into it this week...no pun intended. I've never had a problem with cracking until a couple weekends ago when I was at the ASGB meeting and someone pointed out a cracked bead. Grrrrrr.

Upon further inspection, there were two! I'm just glad I found it before Tucson. Although, before shows I freeze all my beads now to make sure if they crack, they're gonna crack before someone buys them.

The problem is, I layer all of the topaz' over each other to get richer color and I'm not sure which is bad. Hmmmm.

barbbbeads 2008-01-28 9:49pm

I just noticed yesterday some cracks in beads with topaz that I made weeks ago. And these aren't encased. This is just topaz on top of white. These are not thermal shock cracks, just small random cracks. Pretty sure it was Effetre that I used. And the cracks are only on the surface of the topaz. Very aggravating.

Steph'sBeadCorner 2008-01-28 10:39pm

Oh my, me too.. I used topaz over white and only where I put the topaz stringer does it have cracks..

Felicia 2008-01-29 5:17am

Quote:

Originally Posted by LoriGreenberg (Post 1615071)
Although, before shows I freeze all my beads now to make sure if they crack, they're gonna crack before someone buys them.

Ok I'm a dunce. I have never heard of freezing your beads after they are annealed to check for cracks. Does everyone do this? I assume that you place them in the freezer and then take them out to thaw slowly or what?? Someone please explain this to me. Thanks.

swamper 2008-01-29 6:18am

I sure am glad others have spoken up in this thread. I hope the powers that be will investigate the glass in question and bring it to the attention of Effetre.

Edited to say, I freeze some of my beads too. I just pop them in the freezer for a while and let them warm on the counter to room temp and check for cracks. I also have a light that I can examine them with that will make crack in transparents really come into view. Don't know what kind of light it is - DH gave it to me. I has fucshia bulbs in it.

Dasi 2008-01-29 6:52am

I must be honest.
Until post #11 on, I was feeling very embarrassed about my post.

I knew I had a bad batch of topaz. I knew it was not my bead making technique. I feel confident in my beads, so I was very sure there was a problem with the glass. But I was feeling that the post made me look crazy and stupid.

It feels very strange when so many get on and post that they don't have problems........ I knew the glass was a problem. I was just trying to give others the heads up.

I ran tests and I had cracks. Just a plain topaz encased in clear had cracks. I also did topaz over white and I had cracks. BUT I never came back with photo's since everyone else had perfect glass. Good bead makers quickly came on to post they never had problems.....It leaves you feeling very uncomfortable when YOU have beads staring at you that are a mess.

I make so many beads and sometimes I have colors I must put aside due to cracks. About 6-8 months ago I bought a red lauscha from Frantz. I can not encase it with clear lauscha.... All three cracked... There is a lot of bad glass out there and I believe we should approach each case with some tests and then warn people. IT is so sad that you waste a day on a combination and then find the beads cracked and the day is down the drain.

Felicia 2008-01-29 7:00am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dasi (Post 1615630)
I must be honest.
Until post #11 on, I was feeling very embarrassed about my post.

There is absolutely no reason that you should be embarassed. I learned something new today about how to check for cracks with the freezing method. Thanks Lori and Linda for the info. There is never a reason that one should be embarassed to post to ask questions or notify of problems. We all have something to learn. No one is perfect! Now off of my soapbox.

CCraig 2008-01-29 7:16am

Oh Heather, don't be embarrased. I have a huge batch of smaller animal print beads that did not crack, 3 days worth of work. These were just finished up a couple days before your first post. Then on the day of the focals, every one cracked. I am not very careful about keeping batches of the same glass seperate.

I have used Effetre for years and years on these same beads and never ever have had a single problem. Why on earth would I even think of seperating the different batches that come in and tracking them when a glass has such a great record? That would require so much more storage space then what I have available for glass not to mention all the tagging and labeling of what glass came from where. What a mess!

Now, I do not want to use any of the topaz Effetre I have left and am even afraid to get more till the problem is solved. However I have 2 very large bead shows in April, just 6 weeks after Tucson and the animal print beads are always huge sellers for me. It will really be a shame if I can't make them. I typically take about $3,000 worth of animal print beads to the larger shows. That's quite a chunk of income that will be lost. :sad: