Lampwork Etc.

Lampwork Etc. (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/index.php)
-   Tips, Techniques, and Questions (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Lampwork Books (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=154394)

fattirebiker 2010-02-15 6:12pm

Lampwork Books

I am one of those people that likes to learn things hands on, trial and error. Reading how something is done just doesn't seem to work for me. That being said, I would like to hear from you of any books you would recommend on the subject. Maybe books you have read that stand out and inspired you in the craft.

Mr. Meker 2010-02-15 6:43pm

Contemporary Lampworking is a good one.

Puddy Tat Glass 2010-02-15 7:21pm

Passing the Flame is excellent...and it's got lots of pictures so if reading isn't your thing maybe photos would work.

KEW 2010-02-15 7:26pm

Both of Cindy Jenkin's books, Making Glass Beads and Beads of Glass.

artwhim 2010-02-15 7:37pm

If you really don't want a "cookbook" style, but instead one that gives a brief overview of how something is done, Cindy Jenkin's first book "Making Glass Beads" is wonderful. She introduces many ideas, but doesn't bog the reader down with information.

I also love "1000 Glass Beads" for inspiration. No technical information given, other than materials used, but beautiful photography and a broad array of styles.

Cherine Perrin 2010-02-16 3:22am

If you are brand new at it I would also recommend "Making Glass Beads" by Cindy Jenkins

fattirebiker 2010-02-16 3:46am

Wow ! Thank you Kandice for the effort !

fattirebiker 2010-02-16 3:48am

Quote:

Originally Posted by RetiredinCoquille (Post 2893776)
Passing the Flame is excellent...and it's got lots of pictures so if reading isn't your thing maybe photos would work.

Thank you !

It's not the reading, it's the books that like to tell the history of beads and to me that can be a bit boring.

Lorraine Chandler 2010-02-16 11:44pm

Passing the flame and all of Corina's "Spot Light On" booklets. I use them all and refer to them often.
Lorraine

ben david 2010-02-17 11:28am

A lot of the books mentioned so far focus on beadmaking.

You may be interested in more than that - the "Bible" for artistic lampwork is the 2-book set by Scott (Bandhu) Dunham "Contemporary Lampworking". A very thorough discussion of both solid and hollow (tube) techniques, getting into other related topics like sculpture and neon.

fattirebiker 2010-02-17 3:52pm

Looks like I have some reading to check out. I think this may be helpful to others looking for info as well. Thanks everyone.

Lisi 2010-02-17 8:54pm

Books or videos, if you decide later on that you really don't need them anymore, you can sell them in the Garage section on this forum and get back pretty close to what you paid for them. Someone will surely snatch them up here, no need to put them on ebay. ;)