Lampwork Etc.

Lampwork Etc. (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/index.php)
-   Safety (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=39)
-   -   What kind of professional should I hire to drill a hole (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34586)

one-eared pig 2006-09-26 9:02am

What kind of professional should I hire to drill a hole

in the sill of our house (directly above the foundation) for my ventilation? I am setting up in a corner of the basement and will hire a plumber to run a NG gas line. I need to find somewhere to make a hood for me, and I am at a total loss as to where to start on getting the ventilation *out* of my basement.

Thanks for any input anyone has...

MarloJones 2006-09-26 9:34am

Professional hole driller

I would think any competent handiman, or carpenter, would be able to determine how to drill the hole you need based upon the information you give him regarding: the diameter of the hole, and what he's drilling through. He'll need to know if the area is brick or wood framing with siding, or perhaps face brick to give you an estimate over the phone. He'll want to know how thick the wall is: are there electrical lines perhaps hidden behind drywall, etc - if you have it, or water pipes? Then he'll want to come over and see for himself and do an inspection inside and out.

The James Kervan book "Everything You Wanted to Know About Beads But Were Afraid To Ask" has directions for constructing a vent hood with motor. Maybe your handiman could do that, too. Or buy a good one from somewhere and have him install it with the venting line. I got a cancelled special order hood from Sears that was $100 for $30.00. Sometimes they have them in their back room. Ask.

Good luck. This can be done.
Marianne

one-eared pig 2006-09-26 4:22pm

Thanks so much, Marianne.

bhhco 2006-09-26 4:34pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by one-eared pig
in the sill of our house (directly above the foundation) for my ventilation? I am setting up in a corner of the basement and will hire a plumber to run a NG gas line. I need to find somewhere to make a hood for me, and I am at a total loss as to where to start on getting the ventilation *out* of my basement.

Thanks for any input anyone has...

I would suggest having an AC company do a ventilation design. They will know where to best cut the hole. The will also ensure adequate makeup air and that it does not negatively affect the home/appliance.

They can provide the fan and the sheet metal work for the hood plus proper duct work. And cut the hole.

They do ventilation designs for every architectural thing you can imagine (not just calculate how many BTUs are needed to cool-heat a home).

Call around until you find one that does "new home construction"... they will have a trained person on staff who does this as thier full time job, and will probably provide you a free layout and detailed quote.

Me

p.s. The one I used even calculated the humidity added to the air based on torch btu output... but that's not the "norm". I was one the builders they worked for.

one-eared pig 2006-09-26 4:35pm

Cool, thanks 'me'. :biggrin: