Lampwork Etc.

Lampwork Etc. (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/index.php)
-   Tips, Techniques, and Questions (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Opal Yellow? (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=56237)

Miss Kate 2007-06-03 5:00pm

Opal Yellow?

Hi all,
I know a lot of people really like opal yellow. But what I don't know is WHY?
I bought some from Frantz a while back, but so far am unimpressed. Must be just me though.

Why do you like Opal Yellow?
What do you use it for? Base bead or decorations?

Miss Kate (who would've made a poll of this, but didn't know how)

jokersdesign 2007-06-03 5:15pm

reactions

vonna 2007-06-03 5:38pm

I strike my opal yellow before I apply to the bead - I heat then marver with the brass -

Most of my rods have a lot of pink - it may not be you Miss Kate - it just may be the rod.

Vonna

gwacie 2007-06-03 5:59pm

Opal yellow makes a great base for a lot of the reactive glass colors. Try it with anything reactive - make a bunch of small spacer with melted in dots to start just to see what the color reactions are to get an idea. You might get lines or different colors or color spread. Different combos will yield different looks.

Dark opal yellow (the old stuff) would strike to a have a blush pink/rose color throughout it which was very pretty. The lighter opal yellow (different batch) didn't blush as well, at least for me, but still worked well with reactive glass.

Miss Kate 2007-06-03 6:15pm

I'll try it again. I'm starting to think I got Uranium yellow & not opal yellow though. I'll have to find my invoice tomorrow & double check.

Miss Kate

Kevan 2007-06-03 6:19pm

I love opal yellow. If they stop making opal yellow I have no wish to go on living.

http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o...ellowraku3.jpghttp://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o...t/DSC_0023.jpg

http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o...yellowdrop.jpg

beadgoodies 2007-06-03 6:35pm

Opal Yellow is great with almost ANY frit!! It's very useful stuff!!

Candy

vonna 2007-06-03 6:37pm

OH Michelle, how pretty - wow -

gwacie 2007-06-03 6:51pm

Uranium yellow is nice too. I love it with copper green or the old lauscha wedgwood blue.

Miss Kate 2007-06-03 6:53pm

Ok, I'm pretty convinced I got uranium yellow now & not opal yellow. So, either I ordered the wrong thing or got shipped the wrong thing.

No wonder I'm not seeing any reactions!
Can you say "Kate's a Goober" with me?

Miss Kate (the Goober)

gwacie 2007-06-03 7:17pm

There was recently a VERY light batch of opal yellow - you might have that. How about a photo?

vonna 2007-06-03 7:52pm

I picked out opal yellow glass the other day - huge rods with lots of pink - they also had a batch with hardly any pink at all in the bin.

I can't find my picture where I made my bead just plain - somehow it had a light blue in it to.

The blue it could of been another color picked up on the rod. I am still looking. :(

I tryed the OP with that new Violet today - it's still in the kiln.

jokersdesign 2007-06-03 8:57pm

I now have a question about opal yellow. I don't have a vendor close to me so I order most items from the internet.

When I order stuff like red copper green, copper green, and opal yellow etc. I noticed that they always say (hand pulled). What does this mean?

Am I getting the real deal or a copy?

Curly Irish Girl 2007-06-03 9:25pm

It means exactly what it says....those are hand pulled rods/colors....thus the variation from batch to batch.....sometimes you might hear about odd lots....those are "experiments" or variations and usually what people try to get their hands on.....cause it doesn't go on in availability land forever.....

Quote:

Originally Posted by jokersdesign (Post 1201106)
I now have a question about opal yellow. I don't have a vendor close to me so I order most items from the internet.

When I order stuff like red copper green, copper green, and opal yellow etc. I noticed that they always say (hand pulled). What does this mean?

Am I getting the real deal or a copy?

jokersdesign 2007-06-03 9:50pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Curly Irish Girl (Post 1201159)
It means exactly what it says....those are hand pulled rods/colors....thus the variation from batch to batch.....sometimes you might hear about odd lots....those are "experiments" or variations and usually what people try to get their hands on.....cause it doesn't go on in availability land forever.....

So they are hand pulled by Morretti and not some guy at home?

what vendors do you have the most luck with getting stuck that is actually in stock and these "experiments" odd lots?

Kevan 2007-06-03 10:08pm

Some of the odd lots are colors that were made by mistake. Happy mistakes. Really, really happy mistakes.;-)

My Bloody Valentine 2007-06-04 2:43am

I've obviously got the new batch of opal yellow because I certainly never got a blush tone out of mine and the actual rod is almost white. It does have the most beautiful creamy buttery colour that works so well with corals and intense black. I will have to look out for the old batch!

lunamoonshadow 2007-06-04 4:28am

Oh Kandice, that top set is just ohhhhhhhh.......yum......droool!!!!!

SuzyQ 2007-06-04 4:35am

Quote:

Originally Posted by jokersdesign (Post 1201184)
So they are hand pulled by Morretti and not some guy at home?

what vendors do you have the most luck with getting stuck that is actually in stock and these "experiments" odd lots?

My favorite supplier of the cool odd lots is galaxyglass on ebay.

Griffin Dove 2007-06-04 4:51am

Opal Yellow

Same rod of opal yellow! Same torch sitting...it looks scrumptious on the darker corals.

Deanna

gwacie 2007-06-04 5:08am

4 Attachment(s)
Here are a few more done with the darker Opal Yellow:

WeeMary 2007-06-04 6:39am

This is darker opal yellow on its own as the neck of a rather wonky vessel. The pink tones come out on reheating.
http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o...pwork488-1.jpg

Bear Rampant Glass 2007-06-04 7:41am

Oh, Kandice, run away with me! :P

Jeannette

Miss Kate 2007-06-04 7:47am

Will try & take a pic tonight of the rod, and the finished beads (when I unload the kiln).

Miss Kate
Who thanks you all for your help!

ElizabethCreations 2007-06-04 8:57am

3 Attachment(s)
I mostly use Opal Yellow with frit. :biggrin:

swamper 2007-06-04 9:26am

Quick way to tell the difference between opal yellow and uranium is to apply a dot of rubino and melt it in - if it turns rusty or stays pink its opal yellow - if it turns black, its uranium.

Miss Kate 2007-06-04 11:47am

Pretty beads all!

Hey swamper - thanks for the tip. I'll do that little test tonight.
My invoice showed opal yellow - but the rods sure don't look like the pic on Frantz's web site. That's why I started wondering if I had gotten misshipped.

Anyway - thanks again for the testing tip!

Miss Kate

Starrr 2007-06-04 11:58am

Opal yellow and silver pink are my two favorite colors, well today they are.

I have a theory that Opal Yellow, the original first batch, was born when a mistake was made when they were trying to make Silver Pink. Maybe they added too much pink, maybe too much of something else and this mistake took off and became Opal Yellow.

I have found many similarities with both of these glasses and their reactions. Depending on the batches, the similarities can be strong or subtle, but they are still the same.

I love OY with all of the foils!

Miss Kate 2007-06-04 5:34pm

Ok, looks like it is officially opal yellow! Swampers test tip proved it to me. And the beads did look a whole lot better coming out of the kiln. So looks like I'll be a new convert to opal yellow!

Starr - thanks for the help! Now I just gotta try to find time to mess with it & some silver leaf!

Thanks again all,
Miss Kate

claybraes 2007-06-05 1:13am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Griffin Dove (Post 1201513)

Same rod of opal yellow! Same torch sitting...it looks scrumptious on the darker corals.

Deanna

OOOHHHHH yum, how beautiful