Lampwork Etc.

Lampwork Etc. (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/index.php)
-   Studio (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Repurposing an "outbuilding" as studio space (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=303654)

Iwantonetoo 2017-11-27 5:56pm

Repurposing an "outbuilding" as studio space

3 Attachment(s)
Hubby and I gathered the tools, respirators, ladder etc...to "gut" this building down to the studs. As I posted in the bathroom that day, while trying to figure out where the "droppings" on the floor were coming from, I looked up and said to him "Is that a bat?". Hubby picked up a long piece of trim board (maybe 12 feet) and poked around by the dark spot in the ceiling joist. No movement, but as soon as he touched the actual darkness, the darkness hissed at us. :lol:

At this point we are totally "eyes UP" looking for other creatures in the ceiling only to find a freakin SNAKESKIN coming out from behind a piece of plywood sort of nailed to the studs.

Hubby calmly picked up all of his tools and on his way out the door said "Yea, that's it for me." We paid a local guy (young 20 something) to rip out the "walls" and insulation. He got rid of the bats too.

So it's 16 X 24. all but an 8 X 8 section will be studio. I forgot to take a picture before we put a real door on it. I'm not sure why they had insulation in there to begin with, as it wasn't sealed up. They have sliding doors in. but theres also about 6 inches of totally open to the outside all the way above them. We boarded it up, and our new windows will ship next week.

The building has it's own electrical service and was wired as a work shop of some sort. We yanked all of the old wiring and are starting with new.

Fireball 2017-11-27 10:23pm

Looks like it will be a nice space! Good luck

KJohn 2017-11-28 7:33am

great space! Glad you could get all the lil' critters out. Love all the windows. Keep posting, I would love to see how this turns out :)

Lorraine Chandler 2017-11-29 2:16pm

You are going to have so much fun turning that space into a gorgeous studio!!!:mrgreen:

Iwantonetoo 2017-11-29 8:59pm

I love transforming spaces! I can’t wait to get back to it.

Iwantonetoo 2017-12-17 1:23pm

2 Attachment(s)
We are back at the lake through the end of the year. Yesterday 4 of our windows, drywall, insulation, and shiplap for the ceiling were delivered!! After we ordered windows, we realized we wanted 2 more, so those aren't here yet. Sometime in January.

Iwantonetoo 2017-12-17 1:28pm

4 Attachment(s)
Our property has 1100 feet of waterfront, but we need to clear a lot of what my hubby calls "scrub" to have a nice view from the studio windows. You can sort of see water through the trees in one of my pictures, but anyway....

4 windows are installed, the framing is done for the office. (that's where the 2 other windows will go.) We've decided on a shiplap ceiling. One of the pictures is of the shiplap still on a pallet.

ETA: the view from our house. This is why I'd like to open up some of the woods by the studio.

Iwantonetoo 2017-12-17 1:33pm

2 Attachment(s)
I should have posted this before, but I think it's funny in a lucky sort of way so I'll post it now.

The building had 4 sliding glass doors or partials that they roughly framed in to fit to have windows. (likely junk yard finds). They were all hideous, some broken, and had to go. One of them was really hard to get out and ended up swinging from the back of the building before tumbling into the woods, frame and all. And luckily did not break!!

artwhim 2017-12-17 2:34pm

What an awesome space!!

ESC 2017-12-17 5:53pm

This is going to be such a great space!

Iwantonetoo 2018-01-04 12:28pm

5 Attachment(s)
We were busy over the holidays! We installed 5 of the 6 new windows (for some reason one did't ship with the others), ran all of the electric, insulated the walls using the recycled denim, installed vapor barrier, drywalled, insulated the ceiling (with traditional stuff),and almost finished the ceiling. We just flat ran out of oomph. Oh, and we picked out and bought our flooring. I'll likely have to put the pictures into separate posts.

PattyK 2018-01-04 12:30pm

this looks amazing!

Iwantonetoo 2018-01-04 12:39pm

1 Attachment(s)
My torch table will go between these 2 windows. there's a total of 16 feet here. It has 3 separate breakers along the wall. One is for ventilation which will access it's power box from outside once we put the new siding on.(Using Andrea Guarino's "plans". the important stuff is inside the walls right now. we'll just cut holes when we're ready.) and lights, and then one for my bluebird and oxycon, and my fusing kiln will be in the far right corner with it's own breaker. Cause he's special.;-) You can also see what the ceiling will be. This picture was taken the day before we ran out of oomph so you can't really tell how far we got on it yet.

Frit Diva 2018-01-04 1:11pm

Looks so great Sheri!

Imaglassgal 2018-01-04 1:24pm

Looking good!

ESC 2018-01-04 1:42pm

Lookin' good but how the heck do you all have that much energy?!

Iwantonetoo 2018-01-04 5:06pm

LOL ESC, I don't have that much energy (at all) he does all of the lifting, climbing, cutting etc... I'm kind of like the nurse in the O.R.. I hand him things. LOL Or, I man the Miter Saw.

rainygrrl 2018-01-05 8:32pm

Looking forward to seeing the progress! What a beautiful space this will be!!

Iwantonetoo 2018-01-27 4:33pm

4 Attachment(s)
More progress! Ceiling is completely installed and painted. Drywall is painted but still needs some touch ups. We put some of the floor planks down just for comparison. The longest wall with the 2 cool old windows will have cabinets, and counter. And sink! (So excited about a sink). The wall color turned out more blue than we expected. But it’s a cheery color. Was hoping for more grey.

Fireball 2018-01-27 4:58pm

That's gonna be a great space!

KJohn 2018-01-28 6:45am

oooh I'm getting so excited

Iwantonetoo 2018-04-07 10:33am

2 Attachment(s)
Flooring is in!! The cabinets arrived along with the cabinets for the kitchen and pantry, they're all being stored in the studio temporarily. But we couldn't resist at least setting the base cabinets where they'll go. Nothing is installed, and the doors will be white shaker style with concrete counter top. The sink will be right about where the laptop is sitting. (Centered on the window)

Croft Eeusk 2018-04-07 12:33pm

You are really coming along fast now. Shouldn't be long before we see you posting happy dance pics.

dj

ESC 2018-04-07 12:40pm

Ooh, very nice!

Silver Moon Lampwork 2018-04-07 1:06pm

Wow! That is going to be so nice when it’s finished.

maren 2018-04-07 1:33pm

Looks great!

AuntD 2018-04-07 2:52pm

That's really nice!

beadbroad 2018-04-07 5:42pm

That’s gorgeous! I think it’s much nicer with some blue tones than gray would have been.

artwhim 2018-04-07 9:14pm

Wow! Looks great!

Stacia 2018-04-08 4:44pm

This looks amazing! Wonderful job. I am wondering what you decided to do for insulation? Did you insulate the floor too?

Thanks
Stacia