Lampwork Etc.

Lampwork Etc. (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/index.php)
-   Tutorials (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Silvered stringer not just for ivories? (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=106396)

GinnyHampton 2010-08-09 6:17am

Oh hey, thanks!! Silvered coral is still one of my favorites :)

Pia Kaven 2010-08-09 6:47am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevan (Post 3153275)
I don't recall ever seeing this thread before, but geezoflip, Ginny - I've gotta try some silvered coral pronto. Fabulous!!!!!!!!!

Exactly my thought too, I just wish that more people would post the pictures of their yummies with silvered colors... hint, hint!!! :lol:

divina126 2010-08-10 7:14pm

2 Attachment(s)
These arent exactly silvered stringers but they are silver burnished and are covered in transparent stringers then encased.

Pia Kaven 2010-08-10 7:47pm

what a beautiful effect Divina126!

crystalflipz 2010-08-12 5:00pm

Just realized how old this thread is. FWIW the base on both the beads I did is CIM Hades. Some days the blue is easy to get and some days it just won't play nice at all.

Lorraine Chandler 2010-08-15 9:19pm

Yep. It is IS an old thread, but I revived it for newbies because it has some great ideas in it and was pleased to see kevan saw it for the first time too and found something she wanted to try also. \\:D/

Sometimes I go way back to the very first posts and I am finding all sorts of terrific ideas.

CreativeSpirit 2010-08-16 11:55am

1 Attachment(s)
i Like silvered black, with any red's

Attachment 100280

Peace Wendy

Lorraine Chandler 2010-08-16 5:11pm

Oh WOW!!! Look at that!! Okay, that goes on the list too. Thank-you for the pics, very nice. I don't like reds but I like those.

Pia Kaven 2010-08-16 5:59pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lorraine Chandler (Post 3163231)
Yep. It is IS an old thread, but I revived it for newbies because it has some great ideas in it and was pleased to see kevan saw it for the first time too and found something she wanted to try also. \\:D/

Sometimes I go way back to the very first posts and I am finding all sorts of terrific ideas.

I am so glad you revived this thread, since I was just wondering this little while ago, now I dont even have to try blind, I can rely on someone elses experience. And there are so awesome colors, and reactions! :love:

Pia

divina126 2010-08-28 12:01am

How do you make sis? I have been mixing it into the glass, but im not getting that cool black webbing effect on my beads.

Pia Kaven 2010-08-28 6:53am

there are actually some tutorials out there, I could probably find you one or two. I just get a gather on the tip of a ivory or dark ivory rod, and when it is the size I want, I marver it little to get more cylinder shape, then I wrap this cylinder into the silver foil. Make sure you smooth it out with a paddle or on a marver, if it is not attached well, it just burns off. But when you burnish it it leaves these tiny bubbles, then I just pull it into stringer. I think the trick is to marver the foil really smooth on glass before putting it back on flame.
I hope this helps, I will try to find you now a tutorial. :)
Pia

Pia Kaven 2010-08-28 7:04am

http://spawnofflame.wordpress.com/20...torial-part-1/
there are the links to the other parts of the tutorial under the last image.

http://lampworketc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=126157

http://lampworketc.com/forums/showth...silvered+ivory

This is what I found, so read through these threads, and you find maybe something that will work for you. You will notice that not everyone makes them the same way.
Happy torching!
Pia

divina126 2010-08-28 8:24pm

1 Attachment(s)
omg thanks so much i made some today and it looks great. i thought you were just supposed to mix it in. here is a pic of silvered sky blue that someone was asking about. i think it turned out really nice.

Pia Kaven 2010-08-28 8:26pm

wow, that looks so pretty, I think Im gonna have to try that tomorrow myself.... Lol!
I was wondering what light turquoise would look like... :-k

divina126 2010-08-29 12:47am

i bet it would look great. i went kinda crazy with the stringer tonight and i hope to have a few good examples

myrdlebp 2010-09-07 2:15pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lorraine Chandler (Post 3163231)

I love bumping things too. It gets a little stale in here at times.

Lorraine Chandler 2010-09-21 10:35pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by myrdlebp (Post 3193741)
I love bumping things too. It gets a little stale in here at times.

Ain't it the truth...:lol: I will have to come back here and post some silvered stringers after I get my new Cricket set up.

Pia Kaven 2010-09-22 5:17am

Lorraine, that will be appreciated. I made a whole bunch of silvered stringers, and only the coral one looks like it is gonna work. Should have just stick to the recommended... :lol: Now I have a ton of silvered stringers, with not really any use, and wasted a lot of time too. Oh well, at least I know which ones are not gonna really work.

divina126 2010-09-22 6:15am

I tried the multicolor dark as a silvered stringer and it didnt look so good. Im not sure if i did it wrong or what but i turned an icky brown and i usually get really pretty purples greens and blues out of it. i will have to check where it is at and take a pic.

MerryFool 2010-09-22 7:14am

Lots of GREAT ideas! I can't wait to try some of them out! :love:

Lorraine Chandler 2010-09-22 8:30am

Maybe we can make a list of colors that work and another list of colors that are yucky.

It could be one of those lists that we keep adding to the master list instead of us all posting individually?

Should we add numbers also?

Damselfly 2010-09-22 12:10pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by piakaven (Post 3212812)
Lorraine, that will be appreciated. I made a whole bunch of silvered stringers, and only the coral one looks like it is gonna work. Should have just stick to the recommended... :lol: Now I have a ton of silvered stringers, with not really any use, and wasted a lot of time too. Oh well, at least I know which ones are not gonna really work.

What color did they turn, that you don't like them? If it's brown, you could always make trees and use them for tree trunks.

Pia Kaven 2010-09-22 4:36pm

Most of them did nothing except had couple little balls of silver on them... Just not enough for it to make sense to use them...

Leslie Dana 2010-09-22 9:50pm

I'd love to learn more Lorraine :)

Lorraine Chandler 2010-09-22 10:09pm

Okay, I'll go through all of the posts and start the list.

Then when anyone gets a new color that makes good silvered stringer they can add it.

I have a lot to do tomorrow and Friday but I can start it over the week-end.

I think a list everyone can print out (and laminate) would be great to have at the work bench. :grin:

Leslie Dana 2010-09-22 10:24pm

That would be Great !! What about using BE ?

Lorraine Chandler 2010-09-23 2:17pm

There was an earlier post with some BE colors listed as good choices. I will list those also.;)

Elizabeth Beads 2010-09-23 2:27pm

BE French Vanilla is a bit like silvered ivory.

Nothing in 96 CoE that I have tried looks good.

I like silvered Copper Green and silvered Streaky Sapphire.

:)

Lorraine Chandler 2010-09-23 2:38pm

Okay, I started the list and will get the numbers etc. later. The updates will always be added to the first page so we can easily find them.:waving:

Please add pics of beads and posts whenever you get great SS results you want to share. Odd lots are very welcome as a lot of us have a lot of those too.

Lorraine Chandler 2010-09-23 2:40pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by erose (Post 3214951)
BE French Vanilla is a bit like silvered ivory.

Nothing in 96 CoE that I have tried looks good.

I like silvered Copper Green and silvered Streaky Sapphire.

:)

Erose, What is the Streaky Sapphire? Do you have a number for it? I want to add it to the main list.