Lampwork Etc.

Lampwork Etc. (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/index.php)
-   Tips, Techniques, and Questions (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Beadcamp Advice, or, what do you wish you'd known for workshops? (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=255616)

isaberg 2013-11-22 12:59pm

Beadcamp Advice, or, what do you wish you'd known for workshops?

I get to go to beadcamp! I'm kind of excited. Just slightly. Okay, maybe a little overly insanely excited. Anyway, folks who have been to Beadcamp, or long multi-day workshops, what advice do you have for a newbie? What things will I wish I'd brought? What should I be sure to do?

glass butterfly 2013-11-22 3:34pm

Oh how exciting! I'm scheduled to go to bead camp next month if all goes well with my father. Which one are you going to? Hope folks post lots of info here. :-)

Eileen 2013-11-22 3:39pm

I loved BeadCamp, and hope I get to go again.
So much fun and so much learning packed into a week. We had a great group and wonderful teacher, great host & hostess too, and I wish you the same.

glass butterfly 2013-11-22 3:57pm

Eileen, do you have any suggestions that might help ? Lydia :-)

ROC 2013-11-22 4:39pm

Take a notebook to take lots of notes. Pictures aren't bad, either, maybe even a tape recorder. Most importantly, have lots of fun!!

caliente 2013-11-22 5:05pm

^^This. You'll definitely want to take notes.

I went to Beadcamp with Eileen. We had a blast! It was awesome. Marley and Jetze are fantastic hosts. Libby taught it and we learned so much. It was a great week. Looking forward to my next Beadcamp...hopefully sooner rather than later.

Mountain Lady 2013-11-22 5:12pm

I went with Melody and Eileen and we had a ball! My biggest advice, take a ton of pictures and a ton of notes! Everything you see and everything you do! Write everything down and your pics will help tremendously!
Also, take advantage of the torches on the down time. Use that time to work out any problems you are having and get help with them before you leave.
HAVE FUN :)

Eileen 2013-11-22 5:40pm

I had the notebook down, but had to start my reply again & forgot to put it in the 2nd reply.

Don't worry about trying stuff that is new to you, this is the perfect time, while you have someone there to help you figure it out if it doesn't go perfectly. My goal was to learn new things, and have examples to help me remember how to do things, even if they were totally wonky. That took some of the pressure (that I put on myself about things, there was no pressure from them) off to let me just relax and learn.

Are you flying or driving? I took too many tools and too much glass, but I was driving. I did buy some glass there too, as I needed different colors or more of a color I had brought with me, etc. Marley had a good selection there though, so it worked out fine.

Coming to Florida in the winter? Bring shorts/capri pants & tee shirts as well as warm clothes. It might be cold, but it might be in the 70's, 80, etc. too. I'm guessing the torching studio will not be cold with nine torches going though :D

The most important thing to bring is a good attitude, ready to learn & make new friends while doing it!

glass butterfly 2013-11-22 11:24pm

I'm flying down to Tampa on Monday earlier in the day and will be picked up by someone from the bead camp. I'm scheduled to take Corina's beginner class for folks who have already used a torch and love lampworking. Seems like a perfect fit for me. I may not bring any tools since I'm not attached to any particular ones yet and plan on buying glass when I get there and maybe some tools. I have a few of Corina's tools but don't know how to really use them. I'm also bringing her book in case she has some changes to make in it or add any new information. A note book, pens and camera empty card stick batteries and didy glasses seem necessary.Apron also. Anything else? This is going to be so exciting :-)

caliente 2013-11-23 6:19am

Have Corinna sign your book too!

If you forget everything but didy's, you will still be good to go. Jealous!

Eileen 2013-11-23 7:37am

Perfect time to learn to use her tools! Mark them (tape or something) in case more people bring theirs.
Enjoy!

anitah 2013-11-23 7:54am

You will enjoy yourself so much. Marley and Jetze are the best hosts ever. Well equipped studio so you just need what you usually use. Corina is the best and you will learn so much and have fun doing it. Anita

caliente 2013-11-23 7:56am

That's an excellent one, Eileen! Mark your tools if you bring any. The other thing I did was made a list of the tools I had in my notebook so that when I was packing up, I got all my tools back. You may be lending and borrowing tools depending on what you're doing so that list was helpful.

echeveria 2013-11-23 8:39am

Yes on writing down what you take!
Don't take your whole studio. Took me two years to learn that. Take what you must use when you make a bead, what the teachers say they require, and maybe one or two things you wished you used more often. Leave the rest home. I have found that not only are a lot of extra tools and supplies a PITA to move around and keep up with, they are a distraction to me.

losthelm 2013-11-23 8:55am

Take some business cards and make sure to wright down other peoples contact info.
cards are not needed but its easier than someone misspelling my name/contact info.
It can be helpful to share notes and talk shop when someone has a different perspective on the class after you have tried the techniques in your own studio.

rainygrrl 2013-11-23 10:57am

Wow--I just looked at the website and beadcamp looks amazing!
I have found that I tend to take too much stuff, such as tools that I end up not using, so I'd suggest traveling relatively light. As others have said, take advantage of the opportunity totry out the new techniques while you're there. I always take a water bottle, as I just can't get enough water while I'm torching.
Have fun! I know you will!

Eileen 2013-11-23 11:04am

Marley & Jetze furnish washable water bottles for each station, they think of everything!

Polgarra 2013-11-23 11:08am

If you take a recorder make sure to ask the teacher and organizers before you use it. Some teachers are not comfortable being recorded and I am sure you would prefer to avoid an awkward situation.

rainygrrl 2013-11-23 11:09am

That is so perfect. I am so jealous! I will have to go when I can.

glass butterfly 2013-11-23 1:41pm

Thanks for all that advice everyone :-) I'm getting so excited. Since I'm flying, I'm not going to take any glass and maybe not any tools since I'm pretty much a newbie and this is a beginning class. Tools are heavy so I'd rather leave room and weight in my luggage for the new glass or tools that I might buy. Did anyone flying bring tools or glass in their carry on? I'm always afraid that the TSA will confiscate something. I'm also not planning on bringing a recorder but will bring a camera for visuals :-) and of course a notebook since there will be an overload of things to learn and I won't remember when I get home.

If any of you remember anything else that might help, please let us know. Thanks. Lydia :-)

caliente 2013-11-23 1:46pm

I flew. Definitely check your tools in your bag or they will likely be confiscated. I've heard you can generally bring glass rods in your carry-on without too many issues. I packed mine well and checked them in my suitcase. No breakage. I'd bring white, black and clear with you for sure. Maybe some other faves.

Eileen 2013-11-23 1:46pm

I don't remember any tools being for sale, but maybe since Corrina has a line she will have some there. Marley should know if she didn't already tell you.

Melody & Lezlie both flew, but I don't know where they carried their glass & tools, hopefully they will check in (or someone else).

Eileen 2013-11-23 1:48pm

Just an FYI, I found a container at Harbor Freight in the welding section that was great for carrying glass. It is orange, looks like a tall Thermos or something.

Polgarra 2013-11-23 1:58pm

Definitely check what tools they will provide versus tools to bring. Every class I have tken except that first one required that I bring basic tools.

losthelm 2013-11-23 2:25pm

The HF tool is a rod carrier used to hold welding rod.
Lengths of PVC with caps work just as well.

I find useing Saran Wrap and padding the tube helps reduce breakage.

glass butterfly 2013-11-23 8:11pm

Oh great, I have some tubes with caps and lots of saran wrap :-) Frantz and others send glass wrapped in saran wrap and it always arrives safely. Have plenty of bubble wrap also from glass that I bought. Thanks. Lydia

isaberg 2013-11-23 10:12pm

What great ideas! Thanks, everyone! Sounds like going carry-on is not going to happen. At least I can leave my parka here...

isaberg 2013-11-24 8:14am

How much glass should I bring? Trying to figure out that balance between crazy-over-the-top-overpacking and wasting money buying lots of glass I already own.

Eileen 2013-11-24 8:20am

Maybe someone who has taken Corrina's class will chime in? It is probably different for each instructor. Maybe look at her book or website to see what colors Corrina uses frequently?

I'd take the clear, black & white, and maybe a few opaques and transparents I like working with I think. Pea green in case you do frogs! :lol:

echeveria 2013-11-24 8:24am

Do you make big beads, little beads, medium beads? I think you mentioned Corina is the teacher? I think her stuff is on the smallish side.

I would take at least 1/4 lb of my go to glass colors. For me, that is dark ivory, turquoise, orange, some kind of opaque green, and clear. If you use certain colors for stringers only, a rod or two will work. Then I toss in a rod or two of colors I like. And whatever the teacher says I will need.

Even though a week is a long time for torching, keep in mind that part of the time you will be watching someone else make beads, so take about half of what you think you would normally use up in a week.