Lampwork Etc.

Lampwork Etc. (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/index.php)
-   Free Tutorials (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=77)
-   -   Honeycomb-ish style pendant tutorial (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=94392)

JDeMoss 2008-06-09 9:02am

Honeycomb-ish style pendant tutorial

5 Attachment(s)
Here is a quick photo tutorial on a pendant using a type of honeycomb technique.

photo 1- I wrap a few layers of clear on the end of a small diameter tube.
photo 2- starting where my clear left off I coil pot a color (blue thunder I believe), and melt it in slightly...puffing on the tube as needed.
photo 3-I heat the clear and the color and blow out a thing bubble.
photo 4-add clear dots the the color. I usually start with a dot in the center and work out from there.
photo 5-I melt the dots in and using gravity melt the bubble into more of a flat disc shape.
photo 6-heating this disc and another rod I encase the color in clear.
photo 7-I heat the edge of the tube where it meets the disc and blow it out, removing the tube. I then clean up the edges.
photo 8-I add a backing color and then punty to the front and remove the clear rod. Then shape the glass in a mold.
photo 9-attach a punty to the top of the pendant and remove the one on the back.
photo 10- using gravity, heat the pendant and let it begin to droop down.
photo 11- punty the the bottom and make your loop.

remove punty and place pendant on tongue.

well, I suppose you don't have to do that last step, in fact, maybe you shouldn't.

JDeMoss 2008-06-09 9:04am

3 Attachment(s)
photos 6,7,8

JDeMoss 2008-06-09 9:05am

3 Attachment(s)
photos 9,10,11

Bruna 2008-06-09 9:09am

wow. that's so cool. Thank you for sharing it. =)

GiGiC 2008-06-09 9:18am

Jesse,
Wow that is beautiful. Thanks for sharing and pictures always help us newbies!

VitreousTyro 2008-06-09 9:18am

Very cool! Are those tubes boro? Or what?

- newbie Jill

JDeMoss 2008-06-09 9:19am

Jill,

yep, it's all boro.

theglasszone 2008-06-09 11:09am

Very cool!!! I figured there would be some "likeness" in terms of glass behavior to the "Dragon Scale" bead...in that the dots would begin to pull toward one another, thus creating the "honeycomb" effect. The boro, though - on the clear tube - very different and wonderful in it's own right!

Now how come no one else has remarked on the very last "step"? I, for one, would probably choose to SKIP IT!!! Ha...for someone who's head is usually in the clouds, this one really jumped out and BIT ME!!!!

Thanks for sharing!
DeAnne

VitreousTyro 2008-06-09 11:29am

Quote:

Originally Posted by theglasszone (Post 1899467)
Now how come no one else has remarked on the very last "step"? I, for one, would probably choose to SKIP IT!!! Ha...for someone who's head is usually in the clouds, this one really jumped out and BIT ME!!!!

Thanks for sharing!
DeAnne

LOL.... I guess I'm visual... I mostly looked at the pics! :razz:

Boro, huh? Is there a soft glass equivalent of those tubes??

- Jill

suzanne 2008-06-09 12:05pm

Jesse that is way cool, thanks for taking the time to make pics and all ( btw my sons name is Jesse too:D:D)

glassbead 2008-06-09 2:17pm

Great instructions, nice pendant!

shawnette 2009-03-16 11:04am

bump

honey*bee 2009-03-16 2:25pm

Hey thanks for bumping this up!!
Question... can this same technique be modified to do without the tubing? Could I just use a large gather of glass?

shawnette 2009-03-16 3:32pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by honey*bee (Post 2421183)
Hey thanks for bumping this up!!
Question... can this same technique be modified to do without the tubing? Could I just use a large gather of glass?

Yes, it can be done on solid rod.

Mr. Smiley 2009-03-16 3:50pm

Kinda... you don't get the depth you'll get by allowing the tube deflate and reduce in size. A solid gather doesn't do this... and for regular honeycombs, it's crucial... for this pendant version, you might be able to just melt in some dots... still it won't have the same depth as the one shown. ;)

cadia 2009-03-16 5:14pm

Damn you boro!!!!
LOL!!!

honey*bee 2009-03-16 6:29pm

Could I do it with soft glass tube??

shawnette 2009-03-17 3:17am

Quote:

Originally Posted by honey*bee (Post 2421493)
Could I do it with soft glass tube??

Yes and I don't think Brent was saying it can't be done with solid rod. I think he was just saying that it wouldn't be exactly the same. I know from experience that it can be done, since I pretty much never work with tubing. It's close enough that anyone other than another glassworker wouldn't notice the difference.

Mr. Smiley 2009-03-17 3:47am

I think the best way to get depth with rod is to make sure your maria is as big as possible. Not a lot of glass, just a wider base. I some times I enlarge my maria (of thin it out), by pressing down and then using my parallel mashers on the edges while it's still hot. Squish repeatedly and fast as you turn the maria around between the plates. It's the thickening of the glass after the dots are applied that gives depth. Dots applied to the surface will only sink in so far... and they tend to spread out as well. If done on a tube, the dots actually get smaller and deeper as you deflate the bubble... it would really depend on how much depth you're after whether or not you'd notice a difference. There are definite advantages to using tubing for this sort of thing... the depth tubing offers is well worth the learning curve.

honey*bee 2009-03-17 5:14am

Cool, thanks for the tips! I can't wait to try this. I will probably order some tubing so I can try it both ways. I have some large diameter clear so maybe I'll get some torch time today and can give it a try.

Nicker 2009-03-17 9:45am

This is essentially the same technique used with silvered glass to get those lovely deep dots you see. Try it in silvered glass on a bead instead of a maria and you'll get lovely results.

honey*bee 2009-03-17 9:48am

How would I do that? Just add dots of silver glass and encase?

Nicker 2009-03-17 9:49am

Lay down your silvered glass dots, strike or reduce and encase. You'll get lots of lovely color and depth.

shawnette 2009-03-17 10:13am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nicker (Post 2422201)
This is essentially the same technique used with silvered glass to get those lovely deep dots you see. Try it in silvered glass on a bead instead of a maria and you'll get lovely results.

That's why I bumped this post.

honey*bee 2009-03-17 2:22pm

Cool! I have slowly built up my inventory of silver glass so I have to try soon! Hopefully tonight or tomorrow as I have to go to the laundromat.:doubt:

Scout 2009-05-23 9:31pm

Brent, If you are following this, or anyone else!! I always have trouble with my tubing when I blow it out. It seems to be thinner in some spots, and not blow out evenly. I was told to get my gather hotter, and I did (soupy hot), but it still had the thin spots. I was thinking that I might need a different flame?? I am kinda lost on it! HELP!

SleepyCreekGlass 2009-05-24 8:18am

Scout - That is the tricky thing about tubing work. For the issue you are dealing with you need to focus on two things...

1) Thickness of gather on all sides of the blowtube needs to be the same or very close to the same.

2) Heatbase. You can get your gather as hot as you want to...but if it is a uneven heatbase, the hotter glass will ALWAYS thin out on you no matter how careful you are.

Practice, practice, practice is the key....and soon it will come.

I had LOTS of practice trying to overcome this SAME issue when I started tube work.

Cheers.

mad hatter 2009-05-24 8:39am

Hey thanks I have just started to do a bit of boro and these little tuts are like gold.

Scout 2009-05-24 9:07am

SleepyCreekGlass,
Thank you! that's what I thought I would have to do, Practice, practice, and practice! I actually have a ton of tubing that is in the form of pulled points, and bad bubbles, but I am determined to get it!! I have not decided which I like better, a blow tube attached, or a point to work from, but I will keep at it!:biggrin:

lampworker1 2009-05-24 5:03pm

Thanksss sooooo much!! I'm going to try it soon!!