Lampwork Etc.

Lampwork Etc. (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/index.php)
-   Torch Questions (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=55)
-   -   Homefill question (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=293468)

SassyGlass9 2017-02-16 6:56pm

Homefill question

Not a torch question, per se, but thought this might be the best place to ask?

I saw an ad for this:

519 hours on Homefill. 6,817 on O2 concentrator. Both units are in excellent condition. Please call or text for more information. $1,200 obo. Slings for all 3 tanks are included. I'm not interested in selling these units separately.

Not sure if this is a good price, for one thing, because I have only recently started thinking about a homefill system. I was using concentrators for my Cheetah torch, and tanked for my Carlisle CC+. The concentrators I have (2 EX 15's running with a holding tank) are crapping out on me, so I've temporarily switched to using tanked oxy on my Cheetah.

But I went through a K tank of oxy in less than 8 hours on my Cheetah! That is going to be an expensive pain in the ass if I stick with tanked oxy.

I have two oxy tanks. So I'm trying to decide if it would be better to buy a homefill and not have to haul the tanks around and pay to have them filled constantly, or if I would be better off replacing the two concentrators to run my Cheetah (my primary torch, as I mostly do soft glass).

Any input and knowledge is much appreciated!

snoopdog6502 2017-02-16 9:00pm

I bought a homefil through salt city glass, drop shipped from Glenn medical and it broke , got a second one from Glenn medical and it broke.

whips,connections and everything for a 2 K tanks I already owned cost me $1180. I owned my own cons too.

I got about 12 K tanks filled by two homefils for basically $100 a tank.

Buy some concentrators from Dave at Unlimited Oxygen. Don't buy a flimsy piece of junk homefil. Mine second one is in my basement with 226 hours and died a screeching clunking death, im glad I was home when it self destructed.

Once you have 20-30 LMP you can hook up a Gast compressor, fill a 60 gallon air tank that's been cleaned and build a high volume system for < $1,000.
fills 10-15 times faster then a homefil. filling 20+ LPM Being its more on demand you can start the system and be raging in 5 minutes when starting from empty tanks.

Iv done plenty of homework on this and Buying Oxygen concentrators alone is always a winner. Upgrading them to a home rolled High volume type system is childs play and not worth the $7,000 they are asking.

You are running good torches the 2 LPM fill time will not cut the mustard.

I have an old youtube of what I built in less then a weekend and have since made it bigger and better.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2w1PFHacsrI

dusty 2017-02-22 5:26pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by snoopdog6502 (Post 4912244)
I bought a homefil through salt city glass, drop shipped from Glenn medical and it broke , got a second one from Glenn medical and it broke.

whips,connections and everything for a 2 K tanks I already owned cost me $1180. I owned my own cons too.

I got about 12 K tanks filled by two homefils for basically $100 a tank.

Buy some concentrators from Dave at Unlimited Oxygen. Don't buy a flimsy piece of junk homefil. Mine second one is in my basement with 226 hours and died a screeching clunking death, im glad I was home when it self destructed.

Once you have 20-30 LMP you can hook up a Gast compressor, fill a 60 gallon air tank that's been cleaned and build a high volume system for < $1,000.
fills 10-15 times faster then a homefil. filling 20+ LPM Being its more on demand you can start the system and be raging in 5 minutes when starting from empty tanks.

Iv done plenty of homework on this and Buying Oxygen concentrators alone is always a winner. Upgrading them to a home rolled High volume type system is childs play and not worth the $7,000 they are asking.

You are running good torches the 2 LPM fill time will not cut the mustard.

I have an old youtube of what I built in less then a weekend and have since made it bigger and better.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2w1PFHacsrI

That'd be my recommendation, too.

I use 2 10lpm concentrators from Available/Oxygen with a Gast m100x. The m100x draws too much for them (about 25 lpm?) if it's filling an empty-ish tank, but there's a simple work-around, if 20lpm can keep up with your actual work habits (it's plenty, with my Phantom).

Mina 2017-02-22 5:44pm

When considering whether or not to buy a compressor, keep in mind that they don't last as long as the concentrators do. I would recommend you research how many hours you can expect a homefill to work. For some reason 2000 hours keeps running through my head. If that is the case, at 519 hours, that compressor still has a lot of hours of use.

I am currently in the process of setting up my homefill. I have an EX-15 concentrator and my mom gifted me a homefill that has 87 hours on it. I just bought two used K tanks for $300, and all of the items necessary to hook it all up which cost me approximately $100. I am waiting for all the pieces to arrive in the mail to set it all up and start filling my tanks.