Lampwork Etc.

Lampwork Etc. (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/index.php)
-   Tips, Techniques, and Questions (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Which Lauscha Clear? (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=244602)

jellybellykelley 2013-05-01 7:17pm

Which Lauscha Clear?

I want to give Lauscha Clear a try, but I am not sure which to try. There is the regular and the soft. Which is the best to encase with? Also, is there a supplier in the US?

smpalmer85 2013-05-01 7:59pm

If you have a decently hot torch i use the reformulated and love it. I personally like the stiffness and the clarity is phenomenal. It also is highly resistant to scumming/boiling which is good for me as I tend to still work rather hot.

I haven't used the soft but I would assume they've added something to change the viscosity which could potentially have an impact on clarity, compatibility, or color reactions. Maybe not - sure soft users can chime in and clarify.

As for suppliers I've bought from both glasscraft and flamedame with nice results.

jellybellykelley 2013-05-01 8:27pm

Awesome, I wasn't sure which was the reformulated.

sangita 2013-05-01 8:27pm

Glass Daddy

I like Glass Daddy and you keep your money in Texas :)

Frank DeRosa, Glass Daddy, sales@glassdaddy.com, (512)243-5891, 200 Abbott Dr, Austin, TX 78737

smpalmer85 2013-05-01 8:37pm

Cool. Good pricing on the diameters listed. Wish he had some thicker stuff. Will give it a try.

Seriously though.. webpage redesign since October '12??? And does no picture mean not in stock?

smpalmer85 2013-05-01 8:39pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by jellybellykelley (Post 4307425)
Awesome, I wasn't sure which was the reformulated.

As far as i know the reformulated is also called the "standard" (never the soft). It refers to a change they made in their formula to make it play nice with all the new silver colors when they came out from what I can recall.

Jody Lee 2013-05-06 7:16am

Flamedame.com carries Lauscha too. Paula is wonderful!!

Arwynd 2013-05-06 7:22am

Flamedame has been shut for the past month - not sure if/when she's opening again, hopefully soon!

PaulaD 2013-05-08 2:35pm

Hopefully, we reopen in a few weeks. I am just finishing up another business that I started because there is something really wrong with me and I like to work. That business will replace my day job and give me more flexibility as I own it. The new biz took over the flamedame packing room but we almost have it cleaned up and ready to go again. :waving:

There are a few Lauscha formulas out there. The old, stiffer, clear which was around when I started didn't work that well with silver colors so they modified it and started to call it Reformulated clear. That was about 5 (?) years ago. Today Lauscha calls it just plain clear. The stock number is 100. Lauscha also came out with Soft Clear around that same time. Stock number 101. It is the regular "reformulated" clear with things added to make it melt faster. It is especially good for hothead users. I also like it myself for dual fuel torches as I don't like to wait forever for my glass to melt.

There is a lof of misinformation going around about Lauscha always changing formulas but that is not true. Sometimes the ends of the clear rods look like different colors but that is due to different sand batches used in manufacture. I had one batch of soft clear come through that looked lavender but it melted like a dream. Hope that "clears" things up.

Paula

Catts 2013-05-08 3:56pm

Hi Paula, thanks for the explanation. So the soft (reformulated) is fine for silver glass?

Kerry

PaulaD 2013-05-10 3:46pm

It should be. I have personally used it with TAG and made pretty big beads.. I sell to lots of people that use it with silver colors. I suggest that people always try a test bead or two or three first. It is also the easiest clear to use on a hothead. (According to HH users that buy it.) When you start mixing silver glass or piles of different colors with Lauscha clears you need to use a more conservative annealing schedule, I have one up on my website and Grace (Lauscha Lady) has one on hers too. It may need to be adjusted for the silver colors. Paula

All of my information ,btw, came from Carol Anne who used to work at the factory, or Rene who is in charge of the factory.

Catts 2013-05-10 4:58pm

Thank you Paula, I'll take the soft out of the bottom drawer & play with it.. ☺

Kerry

J&M 2013-05-10 9:24pm

I've used the Lauscha #100 and #101 with silver glass of all kinds and have never had a problem with cracking.

Regards, Jack

Locococo 2013-05-12 12:48am

Quote:

Originally Posted by J&M (Post 4314339)
I've used the Lauscha #100 and #101 with silver glass of all kinds and have never had a problem with cracking.

Regards, Jack

Me too......but it needs to be put into the kiln still glowing.

Elke

marla0416 2013-05-12 6:29am

Good info. I have so many different clears. Hey Paula, when will you reopen?

PaulaD 2013-05-16 1:02pm

Soon I hope!