Lampwork Etc.

Lampwork Etc. (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/index.php)
-   Tutorials (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Silvered stringer not just for ivories? (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=106396)

essiemessy 2011-07-29 2:40pm

Amazing is right! Wow!

Lorraine Chandler 2011-07-29 3:14pm

Fantastic! Beautiful bead.

Locococo 2011-07-30 3:34am

Thanks for the compliments. :love:
I can't get the metallic blue shimmer with a silvered ivory stringer.

Have another one.

Elke

PattyK 2011-08-04 2:20pm

Elke - those are gorgeous!

Locococo 2011-08-06 11:38am

Thank you Patty.

Elke

Baron von Smoogle 2012-07-01 7:53pm

Thanks for putting this list together. I never thought of using other colors with silver. Now where did I put that Hades????

Lorraine Chandler 2012-07-02 8:40am

You are very welcome.

I also try any colors that I don't like, especially the Odd Lots and sometimes you hit pay dirt!!:-D

Meow Meow Beads 2012-07-04 8:47am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Locococo (Post 3643154)
Silvered Coral on a Hades base with an amazing result. \\:D/

Elke

BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

firegrl 2012-07-10 5:10pm

I wanted to try a whole lot of silvered stringers beads but I did not feel like making beads today so (probably not new to alot of you) I made a some silvered strings but I left them attached to the labeled rod of glass so when I go to play I know what I am picking up without guessing.

essiemessy 2012-07-10 5:15pm

http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l1...s/IMGP6123.jpg
Silvered Coral stringer over plain Ivory.

LynieG 2012-07-10 5:46pm

oooooo Di That is gorgeous!!!

beadmama 2016-06-08 4:55pm

Bump. This is a great thread, my next torching session will be playing with silvered stringers.

Lorraine Chandler 2016-06-08 5:03pm

So glad you found the thread..Lots of hidden gems here on LE:grin:\\:D/

Be sure ( if you wanna) and post pics and let us know what works and what doesn't.:smile:

Dreamsincolor 2016-07-07 4:37am

Has anyone tried making a silvered stringer with Vetrofond Yellow Ice? I know that it reacts differently than other ivory type colors and just wondered if it would look good or turn to mud. The other color I'm thinking of trying as silvered stringer is Opal Yellow. I think the batch I have is pretty old and it has a lot of pink in it. Thanks if anybody can tell me if they tried either one and what happened.

Andrea
NE Missouri

KJohn 2016-07-08 10:09am

I think that anything that is reactive would be very trial and error, but you never know. That Yellow ice is so rare that I doubt anyone has tried it. At least recently. But Opal yellow sounds like its worth a try. Foil and leaf would have different effects, I think, whatever you use.

Personally, I lust after the silvered coral but the few times I've tried it, it has not impressed me one bit. I think the type of coral will certainly make a difference. I've been meaning to try red roof tile.

SStephen 2016-07-10 8:19pm

2 Attachment(s)
Okay, something different I've done for silvered stringer is to take a gather of dark ivory and place it in DH Triton powder, melt it in and pull a stringer from that. In the first pic, the bead on the left is that stringer on a white base. I think I did a few passes. It doesn't maintain any of that Triton silvery reduced look, but it does give you a darker more crackly look. The bead on the right is just there for comparison, regular sis.

Quote:

Originally Posted by KJohn (Post 4861406)
...Opal yellow sounds like its worth a try. Foil and leaf would have different effects, I think, whatever you use...

And it's funny you should mention, I had made this stringer, used it for dots, reduced and encased and it just looked like dirty white. I had three stringers just sitting there, waiting, for months lol. So I tried again after seeing this post, and reduced, but didn't encase and got the results in the second pic (on effetre black). I plan on trying to dot it again and instead of encasing I'm just going to dot clear over the dots of silvered opal yellow. I think melting in the encasement causes too much of the silver to poof-disappear.

Edit: I'll add that the reason I tried this was because I had read that Opal Yellow "reacts with silver" so I was silver leafing solid OY beads and adding dark ivory frit and the results were okay, but not worth the OY and leaf lol...

KJohn 2016-07-10 11:35pm

awesome idea with the Triton powder!! I really like that. Now to get my little hands on some. Thanks Stephen

Teri.p 2016-07-11 2:48pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dreamsincolor (Post 4861023)
Has anyone tried making a silvered stringer with Vetrofond Yellow Ice? I know that it reacts differently than other ivory type colors and just wondered if it would look good or turn to mud. Snip

I tried it on the Yellow Ice last night, but didn't put it on a bead yet. As a stringer, it closely resembles regular SIS. I hope to have enough play time at the torch this evening to make a bead. I imagine I'll go with my old stand-by. Hades. I'll keep you posted.

Teri.p 2016-07-26 9:14am

Here's a Vanilla Ice Silvered Stringer on Hades - I used foil. To me, it's just like silvered ivory.

one hot beader 2016-07-29 1:41am

Not even all ivories make good SIS.

I;ve had trouble with my SIS for a while, no nice webbing, just grey and nasty.
I was blaming the silver leaf...opened a new pack, bought a different brand...still grey.
I blamed the new torch, dual fuel vs hot head.

Then one day I happened to use a really really OLD SIS stringer I had made many years ago. It was in a tray of old twisties I was trying to use up.

I had my gorgeous webby reactive SIS back!

After some extensive testing, I discovered all the newer Dk Ivory I have gives the nasty grey reaction. Only the old egg shaped rods give the nice webby reaction.

I guess I'm trying to say, if you are not succeeding at SIS it might not be your fault.

Shabrea 2016-07-30 9:09pm

Agree Nicole. I can't get nice SIS with the batch I have. Trying to get by for awhile and hope the next time I order they will have a nicer batch of DK Ivory

Angie09 2016-07-31 9:10am

Quote:

Originally Posted by one hot beader (Post 4866406)
Not even all ivories make good SIS.

I;ve had trouble with my SIS for a while, no nice webbing, just grey and nasty.
I was blaming the silver leaf...opened a new pack, bought a different brand...still grey.
I blamed the new torch, dual fuel vs hot head.

Then one day I happened to use a really really OLD SIS stringer I had made many years ago. It was in a tray of old twisties I was trying to use up.

I had my gorgeous webby reactive SIS back!

After some extensive testing, I discovered all the newer Dk Ivory I have gives the nasty grey reaction. Only the old egg shaped rods give the nice webby reaction.

I guess I'm trying to say, if you are not succeeding at SIS it might not be your fault.

Well, shoot ... that's not good news Nicole!! I got one set that the SIS blew me away but, of course, I have no idea what it was that made it so webbie. I have 10 different dark ivories from "curdled" to new stuff and don't know what I used. Here's a pic .. wish I wasn't so old and could remember these things!! the photo says I used Hades ... maybe that's it???

Katie Gee 2016-08-01 6:38pm

Try mixing old and new Dark Ivory when making you SIS.

Angie09 2016-08-02 6:51am

I just found a pound or so of the old Vetrofond Dark Ivory ... was that the one that worked so well as SIS?

Mina 2016-08-02 11:51am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Locococo (Post 3643154)
Silvered Coral on a Hades base. \\:D/

Elke

For this effect, do I need a certain kind of ivory, coral, or Hades? Or will any batch give these results?

Mina 2016-08-05 4:04pm

1 Attachment(s)
I was so impressed with Elke's (Locococo) bead I had to try it for myslef...yes, I shamelessly copied :rolleyes: I couldn't believe that a black bead would become blue..but it did! Mine are not as vibrant a blue but I love the oil slick effect

Chocake 2016-08-05 5:34pm

Beautiful, Mina

Shabrea 2016-08-05 10:38pm

Great beads Mina. I keep meaning to try that combo and forget lol. Glad to see you got awesome results

Chocake 2016-08-06 6:45am

Someone gave me some copper foil the other day. Anyone have any experience making stringer with it?

Mina 2016-08-06 7:53am

Chocake, I'm wondering how that would work. Copper doesn't blend with the glass as easily as silver does and it seems to work best paired with white enamel. You gonna try it?