Lampwork Etc.

Lampwork Etc. (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/index.php)
-   Tips, Techniques, and Questions (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Q re: Two-oxycon hookup (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=180655)

Torcha 2010-11-28 5:39pm

Q re: Two-oxycon hookup

3 Attachment(s)
Hi,
I have 2 m10 unlimited oxycons. The first I have had hooked up for a while and am now trying to figure out how to hook the 2 together.

I have included pictures of my set up and the extra materials I received to hook the two together. Can anyone post pictures of what this looks like? Do I really have all the materials I need or do I need to also get another brass fitting?

Thanks in advance for any replies and assistance.
Alana

Alaska 2010-11-28 6:28pm

See image....

Some add a check valve to each line. They system will run fine without these. This system has check values in each line.

Connect up to your torch. Turn on the oxygen torch value and then start up the machines. After about 10 minutes (5 to 10) the oxygen purity should be up to specifications. Adjust the LPM flow value on each machine for a balanced reading. i.e. both at say 4.5 LPM, etc.

Enjoy the new machines!

Torcha 2010-11-28 9:54pm

Thanks Alaska! It looks like I may have to buy another brass fitting for the 2d oxycon, based on your photo. Your white plastic connectors look a little different than mine. I guess I will try it out and see if it works. Appreciate your response.
Alana

tenor_ringer 2010-11-29 10:58am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alaska (Post 3302550)
Some add a check valve to each line. They system will run fine without these. This system has check valves in each line.

This kind of brings up a question I had; I assumed oxycons have check valves on their outputs, but I wasn't sure (I did a forum search and didn't find a direct answer).

My 2 questions for our oxycon gurus:

1) Is it true that they do have check valves on the outputs?
2) Is it OK to run just one of the two while they're connected together or can the operating unit's output pressure damage the non-operating oxycon?

Dale M. 2010-11-29 11:12am

Yes they have check valves (internally) on their outputs....

Dale

tenor_ringer 2010-11-29 4:27pm

Thanks Dale! I appreciate the info.

Alaska 2010-11-29 4:44pm

And from one concentrator manual....

"Sieve Bed Check Valves

A check valve located between the outlet of each sieve bed and
the accumulator tank allows oxygen to pass through the sieve beds to the
accumulator tank when the bed pressure is greater than the accumulator
tank pressure. These valves also prevent reverse low of oxygen from the
accumulator to the sieve beds."

And with this model there is a final check valve in the line just prior to the flow meter. Other designs may vary.

tenor_ringer 2010-11-29 8:58pm

Thanks for the additional info, Alaska. That makes perfect sense. I would imagine other concentrators work in a reasonably similar fashion. I appreciate your posting the excerpt from the manual.

Although we've had our oxycons about a year and a half, I haven't taken the time to learn about exactly how they work, so this fills in some of the knowledge gaps.

Torcha 2010-12-04 2:16pm

Need more assistance

1 Attachment(s)
So thanks again for the responses. I have the 2 oxycons hooked up and of course the set up isn't working! ](*,)

The one on the left was the one I have been working with no problem. When I run the 2 hooked up together the new one on the right is cycle and running air, but the one on the left is not pushing any air. I can hear it running, but the ball does not go up. I shut off the one on the right and just ran the one on the left and still no luck. Hmmm...:confused: So I though I would post a picture of how I set it up and see if anyone would be kind enough to help me out again.
Alana

Torcha 2010-12-04 5:00pm

Do I need to buy one of these?

http://www.arrowsprings.com/html/torch_accessories.html

Alaska 2010-12-04 6:22pm

Your connections are typical and look fine.

Check to see if each concentrator will run the torch by itself. Then use a pressure gauge to make sure that both units put out the same pressure. Say 5 psi or 9 psi, etc. If the pressure is not balanced then that can be an issue. However, with two machines of the same make and model that should not come into play.

And you should NOT have an oxygen flashback arrestor in the line. Did not see one, but checking just in case.

For your present setup turn on the oxygen value on the torch with both machines on. Then adjust each concentrator flow value for the same setting until they balance out at say 3.5 LPM. Then make an adjustment on the torch value and both ball levels should go up or down the same amount.

Not sure what 'one of these' happens to be. But it would be my guess that you do not need any additional items.

oxydoc 2010-12-04 7:02pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Torcha (Post 3311047)
So thanks again for the responses. I have the 2 oxycons hooked up and of course the set up isn't working! ](*,)

The one on the left was the one I have been working with no problem. When I run the 2 hooked up together the new one on the right is cycle and running air, but the one on the left is not pushing any air. I can hear it running, but the ball does not go up. I shut off the one on the right and just ran the one on the left and still no luck. Hmmm...:confused: So I though I would post a picture of how I set it up and see if anyone would be kind enough to help me out again.
Alana

This setup looks normal to me. I agree with Alaska. Unhook both. Try them separately. Then hook one up at a time. jack

Torcha 2010-12-04 8:45pm

Thanks everyone. With the help of a friend who came over, we figured out what was wrong. One of the brass connectors to the oxycon wasn't tight enough!

Appreciate all of your assistance.
Alana

oxydoc 2010-12-05 6:02pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Torcha (Post 3311413)
Thanks everyone. With the help of a friend who came over, we figured out what was wrong. One of the brass connectors to the oxycon wasn't tight enough!

Appreciate all of your assistance.
Alana

Cool

5betsy 2018-05-05 12:40pm

Bump. I needed this today! Yay, LE to the rescue.