Lampwork Etc.

Lampwork Etc. (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/index.php)
-   Tips, Techniques, and Questions (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Will Fake nails catch fire (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=284536)

Khaleesi Dane 2016-01-03 7:58pm

Will Fake nails catch fire

Okay, this is a two part question, first part is open to anyone who knows the answer, ( please no conjecture, looking for facts and first hand ) second part is asked of those of you who teach.

1.). Will fake nails, or heavily polished nails actually catch fire? And how close do they need to be to the average torch flame?

2.). As an instructor, if you see a student come in with silly super long nails do you proceed with their instruction? Or do you site safety, and not let them torch? Do you just warn them thoroughly?

I have heard this rumor, but since I don't wear em any more, I never really paid attention, but as I approach my potential first teaching on a torch situation, I figured I aught to ask!!

Thanks in advance!

Mountain Lady 2016-01-03 8:22pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Khaleesi Dane (Post 4817415)
Okay, this is a two part question, first part is open to anyone who knows the answer, ( please no conjecture, looking for facts and first hand ) second part is asked of those of you who teach.

1.). Will fake nails, or heavily polished nails actually catch fire? And how close do they need to be to the average torch flame?

2.). As an instructor, if you see a student come in with silly super long nails do you proceed with their instruction? Or do you site safety, and not let them torch? Do you just warn them thoroughly?

I have heard this rumor, but since I don't wear em any more, I never really paid attention, but as I approach my potential first teaching on a torch situation, I figured I aught to ask!!

Thanks in advance!

The answer is no they will not catch fire but they will burn, turn black and flame a bit when directly in the flame, (don't ask me how I know LOL) In answer to your second question I believe I would warn that it could be possible for ones nails, when worn extremely long, to get burned if too close to the flame and if they wish to proceed then they do it at their own risk.

SharonP 2016-01-03 10:01pm

I had someone with newly applied acrylic nails catch them on fire. It was impressive, and smelled bad...

Dasi 2016-01-04 7:40am

I have acrylics. A coating on my nails to keep them strong and long.... I have on a few occasions had the edge burn from holding a 1 inch stringer. (needed every last bit) It does not flame up, it just starts to turn black at the edge. The nail polish also does not catch fire and flame up either.... It just starts to burn at the edge too. My nail guy cracks up when he sees a little black edge on the nails.... I cab and silversmith so my nails sometimes take a beating but he fixes me right up.
I would not worry about a student who has nails... I would worry more about them sticking their finger in the water to put the fire out and getting stabbed with junk in the water... done that once....ouch...
New students are too afraid of the torch to get that close to the flame to catch fire. If they are that fearless IN THE BEGINNING they don't belong on a torch.

beadgirl 2016-01-04 8:09am

I had acrylics for years and never had them catch on fire. However the edges can burn if you
put them where they do not belong
Well said Heather!
MarieAnn

Three Muses Glass 2016-01-04 8:22am

The fake press-on DIY nails do catch fire but they don't burn fast and blow out like a candle.

AVTrout 2016-01-04 12:33pm

Mine used to get really hot, so I got them taken off.

caliente 2016-01-04 12:56pm

I have never had an issue with flame. I posed a similar question several years ago and some responded that they don't catch fire; they just melt and make stringer that is not good for anything :lol:

Elizabeth Beads 2016-01-04 1:18pm

I have gel nails ( the kind built up with powder) and they do not catch fire. I have had them in the flame (not on purpose of course) and it barely affected them. A little buffing shined them right back up.

Khaleesi Dane 2016-01-04 9:03pm

Thank you ladies for all your input! Greatly appreciated! You have eased my mind in this regard.

And Heather, you are so right!! I was timid for many moons, now I get up close and personal but it has taken time. Well said.