Lampwork Etc.

Lampwork Etc. (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/index.php)
-   Free Tutorials (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=77)
-   -   The Blue Bead (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=235)

sarakay 2005-06-06 2:31pm

The Blue Bead

1 Attachment(s)
Here's the recipe for the blue bead.

You need:
Clear
Transparent cobalt
silver foil

1. Make a base of transparent cobalt.
2. Add threaded clear stringer and melt in.
3. Wrap in silver foil and burnish.
4. Apply more threaded clear stringer.
5. Melt in slowly, watching for the robin's egg blue reaction.
6. Case with clear, keeping the base bead out of the flame.

You must be sitting right in your chair, the stars in the right alignment, and holding your mouth right. In other words, this is a really hard chemical reaction to reproduce. :?

Threaded Stringer

Heat a small gather of glass.
Out of flame, touch the gather to your bead and spin your bead to pull out thin strands of glass.

coyotesfamily 2005-06-06 3:08pm

thank you soooooo much for posting this yet again!!!

IF-Designs 2005-06-06 3:12pm

I have to ask how in the HELL do you get such a nice even THIN casement of clear? Im VERY envious of that

Gail Joseph 2005-06-06 3:58pm

sigh.......this is so beautiful!

sarakay 2005-06-06 5:33pm

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by IF-Designs
I have to ask how in the HELL do you get such a nice even THIN casement of clear? Im VERY envious of that

It's not that thin, it just looks like it on TV. :D Here's the bead photographed in water...see? I fixed an uneven bead with the casing.

BiaggiaBeads 2005-06-06 6:37pm

Sara, what a gorgeous bead! Thanks for sharing the recipe too!! Very nice of you..... :D Can't wait to get to the torch tomorrow!

Nicker 2005-06-06 6:38pm

Sara I think it's really sweet of you to share this bead with us. SOMEDAY one of mine will come out looking like this :oops:

Sue H-K 2005-06-07 10:11am

How yummy! I can't wait for some torch time now!

Thanks for sharing!
Sue

Amozoo 2005-06-07 11:14am

Really wonderful share that is beautiful! Can't wait to try it. :D

Sylvie Anne 2005-06-09 3:45am

Sara, that's a beautiful bead - I can't believe the ingredients are so simple. That blue just really pops.

PattyK 2005-06-10 5:56am

What a magnificent bead Sara! When you say "threaded stringer" do you mean stringer that is very very thin?

Anne Ricketts 2005-06-13 5:50am

2 Attachment(s)
Sara I really love that bead and blue is one of my fav colors!! I gave it a whack and here is what I came up with yesterday! Yours still looks much better!!

Roseanne 2005-06-13 7:44am

Sarakay!! That is GORGEOUS!!! I'll have to give it a try too... I'm quite sure tho, mine will NOT look like yours or Anne's! :doubt: It would be fun to see everyone try it & post their results! 8-)

Curly Irish Girl 2005-06-13 8:06am

A question about threaded clear.....what is it? Clear stringer pulled extremely thin? Clear that is silvered similar to the silvered ivory process??? Inquiring minds want to know....thanks for a GREAT tutorial and a FABULOUS blue bead!

Anne Ricketts 2005-06-13 8:22am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Curly Irish Girl
A question about threaded clear.....what is it? Clear stringer pulled extremely thin? Clear that is silvered similar to the silvered ivory process??? Inquiring minds want to know....thanks for a GREAT tutorial and a FABULOUS blue bead!

What I did with mine was heat up the clear rod, touch it to the bead and then turn the bead. It gets pretty thin lines that way.

Kalera 2005-06-13 10:14am

Wow Sara... that bead is GORGEOUS! I want to go try it now. :) Thanks for sharing the technique!

Kalera 2005-06-13 10:15am

Quote:

I really like the idea of silvered clear... I bet some wonderful effects can be acheived using it, if not on this bead than in other applications. Thanks for the great idea!

cherishbear 2005-06-13 12:37pm

I love using silvered clear!! :D

sarakay 2005-06-13 4:07pm

Quote:

Threaded stringer is when you heat a small gather of glass and barely touch it down on your bead. Then you turn your bead quickly to draw out a tiny thread of clear. It takes some practice, but you can get really thin, delicate lines with this technique.

sarakay 2005-06-13 4:09pm

Anne, I love your bead! And thanks everybody for saying nice things about my bead. I looked it up in the ISGB archives. I made that bead in May of 2000 and haven't really been able to make one as nice since then.

TroyNC 2005-06-13 5:24pm

Simply put....I'm =P~

beadbroad 2005-06-14 3:00am

Aligning the planets

Beautiful bead -- I tried, and haven't seen final results yet but it doesn't look like I got much. That was before the explanation of what a threaded stringer was, so I'll try again next week. One question -- do you use a lot of the stringer, so it covers most of the cobalt and then the silver, or do you keep it sparse?

Thanks for posting this --

sarakay 2005-06-14 10:31am

The link doesn't work anymore.

beadbroad 2005-06-14 1:35pm

picorama

GREAT! That really helps. I did it all wrong.

busy_beads 2005-06-15 9:25am

That is beautiful!!! I am goign to give it a try the next time I torch !!!

firegrl 2005-08-04 9:22pm

I love :love: this bead !!!! I have tried it twice and going to try again. I got two very cool mottled amber bead. Going to try again.

Cathy

swamper 2005-08-05 6:52am

I saw this bead at the Gathering - itis awesome. I am going to have to try this technique again. hugs.

firegrl 2005-08-05 7:18am

YIPPY ~ tried it again and got some blue (with amber mixed in for good measure. Just got to try again. I am making cylinders and thought that maybe I had too much class but the one that "worked" is a cylinder as well.

Cathy

Jamn! 2005-08-06 3:50pm

That is an awsome bead! Thanks for posting this tutorial! :)

Tami 2005-08-17 8:45am

Hello Sarakay,
what a great tutorial and of course what a beautiful bead!
I tried it with transparent red and got som blue reactions but forgot to encase it :?
Silvia