Lampwork Etc.

Lampwork Etc. (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boro Room (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=54)
-   -   Double Amber Purple Question. (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18680)

e. mort 2006-04-06 6:36am

Double Amber Purple Question.

1 Attachment(s)
I made this pendant yesterday. It was garaged at 1000 for 5 hours before being annealed/struck at 1080 for 4 more hours. I put it on a kiln brick which was level with the pyrometer so I am guessing that the temperature should be pretty accurate.

I am finding that DAP works differently that the GA Triple passion. So, can this piece be struck some more to get to the reds and purples, or is it completely struck already?

Thanks,

Eric

baylie 2006-04-06 10:21am

I think you could strike it longer or hotter i am thinkin hotter would do it. Try 1200 for 2 hours. try another and keep it at a glow for 30 sec to a min after you are done shaping, hold the loop and put pendant in soft flame, move it around so it doesn't get floppy. Keep it warm enuf to glow but not move. Then kiln it. Let me know

e. mort 2006-04-06 12:53pm

Thanks Baylie! I will try out your suggestions ASAP.

Eric

e. mort 2006-04-07 6:01am

1 Attachment(s)
Baylie, you ROCK! \\:D/

I went ahead and put the pendant on a kiln brick to bring it up to the level of the pyrometer thermocouple. I then ramped up to 1200 and held it there for two hours before ramping down for another hour to 950. I finally got the color to change! YAY! I am guessing that my kiln is probably off quite a bit and that the temperature on the floor of the kiln is considerably cooler than the temp where the thermocouple is. The thermocouple is 3.5" above the kiln floor where I usually lay the pendants. I need to figure out some way to measure the temp on the kiln floor.

Here is what the pendant looks like now. I am thinking that another hour would have taken me into the purple range.

Thanks again!

Eric

baylie 2006-04-07 6:47am

Try gettig another thermo& pyrometer and placing the thermo where your beads would usually go. If your thermo comes out easily you could take it to another kiln & see if it reads the same as that kilns controls....

Ro 2006-04-08 6:12pm

or put a shelf on posts near the thermocouple, got me thinking about mine, i usually strike at 1100
ro

e. mort 2006-04-14 3:14pm

1 Attachment(s)
I ended up putting a brick in the kiln. I put my amber purple and triple passion stuff on it, and my other stuff on the floor of the kiln. It seems to work in that my reds on the floor don't overstrike while the AP's and TP's are striking on top of brick.

Here is my latest triple passion and DAP pendant. I am really happy with the colors in it.

Thanks again!

Eric

rusticstudio 2006-04-14 3:22pm

Wow, Eric, that rocks!!!

kbinkster 2006-04-14 10:20pm

Eric, those pendants are lovely. If you find that your kiln floor is considerably cooler, you could either adjust the temperature to compensate, or get a little kiln shelf to put your pendants on. That way, you could put stuff that you are striking on the shelf and anything else on the floor - doubling your kiln space. Of course, pendants don't really take up too much room. It was just a quick thought. I just like kiln furniture, that's all.