Lampwork Etc.

Lampwork Etc. (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/index.php)
-   Tutorials (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Color Reactions (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1435)

danelady 2005-07-08 6:41am

Color Reactions

I am actually starting this thread because _I_ need help finding what creates a SHINY GOLD reaction to reduction Flame! I will be adding reactions I have used as well!

If you have a COLOR REACTION you'd like to add to this thread, hit REPLY, but put in a TITLE with your colors, ok?
Thanks!
Lynnie

Robinj 2005-07-08 7:03am

Caliente Gold -- Bullseye compatible (mostly)

1 Attachment(s)
Michelle Lusk (boobiebeads) sells this on her site www.calienteglass.com

danelady 2005-07-08 5:48pm

Hmmm I guess i SHOULD have said, MORETTI compatible! but I DO have some of this and I'll try it THANKS!
Lynnie

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robinj
Michelle Lusk (boobiebeads) sells this on her site www.calienteglass.com

loribeads 2005-07-08 11:25pm

I've had great luck with light iris gold reduction frit. You can pull it into stringers and wind around a clear bead, melt in, reduce and voila! Shiny gold!

suzanne 2005-07-09 1:53am

You could also try to reduce Rubino Oro, to bring out the gold content of the glass

Cosmo 2005-07-09 6:10am

I've noticed when I accidentally reduce Rubino, it turns grey, not gold. Of course, I'm not trying to do it (I'm going for pink), so I may be doing it wrong.

suzanne 2005-07-10 12:09am

Maybe Kandice can help out here, she told me it can be done. I haven't tried it myself with rubino, but did try with tourmaline pink ( czech glass) and it looks smashing!!

danelady 2005-07-10 10:26am

Rubino turns grey for me too!

Lynnie

Quote:

Originally Posted by suzanne
Maybe Kandice can help out here, she told me it can be done. I haven't tried it myself with rubino, but did try with tourmaline pink ( czech glass) and it looks smashing!!

starlia 2005-07-10 10:46am

Quote:

Originally Posted by suzanne

Yeah, well, Kandice uses magic. I think she twiches her nose and poof she is inspired.

jaylee78 2005-07-10 3:35pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by starlia
Yeah, well, Kandice uses magic. I think she twiches her nose and poof she is inspired.

I think we should nickname Kandice the Goddess of Color!:-)

starlia 2005-07-10 3:42pm

What about Kandice the Color Magic Witch?

suzanne 2005-07-11 4:59am

Kandice the Emperess of Precious Pink

PaulaD 2005-07-11 2:09pm

Kandice the Magnificent!
Paula

kandice 2005-07-11 4:06pm

Okay, you guys crack me up!!!!

Here's what I do with Rubino to get the shiny reaction. For me, it goes somewhere between gold and silver, and shines like crazy.

Make sure you're using the darkest batch of rubino possible - I think that has the most gold content. Make your bead in a cool, oxydizing, small flame, to avoid burning out the metal in the glass. Strike the rubino outside and underneath the flame to bring out the pink. Then, quickly turn down the oxy and turn up the propane. Bathe the bead in the very upper part of the flame until it turns metallic, then immediatly put it in the kiln.
About 75% of the time I get a nice, shiny metallic sheen that's somewhere between gold and silver colored. On the rare occasion, when my flame is too hot, I get a sooty grey color. Ew. So this is something that takes a lot of practice. The metals are really sensitive to heat, I guess. :)
I unfortunately don't have many pics of this technique because I did most of those beads for a show last year, but here's a small pic of one of these. The scroll line is Streaky Pink encased in Rubino and then reduced like I described. I should make more of these, yes? :D

SuzyQ 2005-07-11 7:10pm

Yes Candice! Thanks for sharing. I can't wait to attempt this.

suzanne 2005-07-11 11:03pm

Yes you should make lot's more of these, I have always wondered what that gorgious pink shiny stuff was... rubino:D:D:D THanks so much for jumping in here to share your pink knowledge once again!
Suzanne

kandice 2005-07-11 11:17pm

You bet! :)

DawnT 2005-07-12 8:04am

Beautiful bead Kandice! Thanks for sharing the secret! :koolaid: (I wish this Kool Aid guy would dance, wouldn't that be too cool? ok I have a thing for smilies....)

ChaseDesigns 2005-07-12 7:52pm

BEAUTIFUL Kandice. Thanks for sharing that technique

Roseanne 2005-07-12 8:03pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by kandice

Here's what I do with Rubino to get the shiny reaction. For me, it goes somewhere between gold and silver, and shines like crazy.

Make sure you're using the darkest batch of rubino possible - I think that has the most gold content. Make your bead in a cool, oxydizing, small flame, to avoid burning out the metal in the glass. Strike the rubino outside and underneath the flame to bring out the pink. Then, quickly turn down the oxy and turn up the propane. Bathe the bead in the very upper part of the flame until it turns metallic, then immediatly put it in the kiln.
About 75% of the time I get a nice, shiny metallic sheen that's somewhere between gold and silver colored. On the rare occasion, when my flame is too hot, I get a sooty grey color. Ew. So this is something that takes a lot of practice. The metals are really sensitive to heat, I guess. :)
I unfortunately don't have many pics of this technique because I did most of those beads for a show last year, but here's a small pic of one of these. The scroll line is Streaky Pink encased in Rubino and then reduced like I described. I should make more of these, yes? :D

Simply breath-taking, Kandice! I would LOVE to see a set like the one you created~ wow... pink is my favorite color:D

danelady 2005-07-12 9:42pm

WOW KAndice THANK YOU! You should place this in the TUTORIALS file! AWESOME! I'll PROBABLY try it soon!
Hugs and thanks
Lynnie

Quote:

Originally Posted by kandice

PaulaD 2005-07-13 8:24am

Gorgeous!!! Paula

Jamn! 2005-07-21 7:36am

Those are very pretty!! Thanks for sharing!

firepower 2018-10-29 7:32pm

Thanks for all the great ideas