Lampwork Etc.

Lampwork Etc. (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/index.php)
-   The Dark Room (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=56)
-   -   LED Lights (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=286824)

artwhim 2016-04-16 8:49am

LED Lights

Has anyone switched to LED lights? They keep getting more reasonably priced. If you have, what are your experiences and what watt and color do you use?

I broke one of my bulbs yesterday and thought it might be a good time to switch since I need to replace it anyway.

Lorraine Chandler 2016-04-16 3:00pm

We have switched almost the whole house over. We luv them. We use whatever is the recommended wattage so it differs. We also are using Led flashlights.

I especially like the lights over my sewing table. I would use them in the studio but it has an awesome skylight and barn doors so I get enough natural light there.

Start switching you won't regret it!:happy:

Speedslug 2016-04-16 4:55pm

Aye we are switching over one at a time.

I found some 6 packs at SAM's and I love the fact that they are too bright blue or too yellow and also that they are not creating all kinds of heat.

snoopdog6502 2016-04-16 5:17pm

LED bulbs are great. A lot of light for very little power.

I also own 2 LED grow lights that were $1,600.00 each but I got them free.I did a product review and video grow journal and they grow flowers half as big as real HID lighting. Id never buy the wimpy LED grow lights, they are not very good.

artwhim 2016-04-18 8:49am

Sorry, I should have been more specific. Are any of you using them for bead photography? I need to replace bulbs in my reflectors.

Speedslug 2016-04-18 9:25pm

I think that is going to have to be a personal choice according to what your eyes tell you.

But I don't photograph my work other than the classic homemade pics when someone wants to see what I am doing these days.

I think I remember some of my you tube videographers are now switching to LEDs but I am pretty sure they are doing post production work that would include balancing color values and such before the post their work.

I think that is something you might be wanting to avoid for each and every picture you take.

So I guess I think it should be just fine. Mostly a what you see is what you get thing and the LEDs I have seen lately are pretty good at delivering a very good white light.

Lorraine Chandler 2016-04-19 10:38pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by artwhim (Post 4843274)
Sorry, I should have been more specific. Are any of you using them for bead photography? I need to replace bulbs in my reflectors.

No need to apologize, I should have noticed that your post was from the dark room. I only look at the "New Posts" and don't usually pay attention to where they are from. My apologies...:hide:

I use my Ott lights for photos and have used the Led, about the same results. I still prefer outdoors in natural light the best!:-D

artwhim 2016-04-20 8:22am

Thanks Lorraine. I always seem to fight shadows when I take photos outside. I know others like to shoot outdoors too, so I'm sure it is user error on my part. Glad to hear the LED and Ott give about the same results. I use Ott lights on my bench, but haven't tried them for photos.

navarre 2016-04-30 5:02am

Depends on the LED really some have quite okay colour - whilst others I found distort colour (but it's easily fixed in photo editing - for the most part anyway depending how fussy/precise you want to be)

Overall usually much better then many simple lights.

Laura B 2016-05-01 11:59am

I switched every bulb in the house for LED. My photo station was the first to transition.

nevadaglass 2016-05-11 7:17am

Hi!

Changed the whole house over last year to LED and immediately the power bill dropped by 30.00 per month. I started out with the cool white which is warm, then bought a few of the day white and they are too white and bugged my eyes so now in things that take multiple bulbs like the dining room "chandelier" I mixed so that half are day white and half are cool white which is more yellow and its more of a happy medium.

They are even making them now for things like sconces and the stove fan light.

Cosmo 2016-05-16 8:52am

I have been using LEDs for my photos for a while now. I see pretty much zero difference between them and the regular bulbs I was using before.

artwhim 2016-05-18 9:01pm

Thanks! That's great to know!