Lampwork Etc.

Lampwork Etc. (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/index.php)
-   Safety (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=39)
-   -   HELP! Need new HH gas--Mapp no longer available (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=108875)

prayer bedes 2008-10-21 9:42pm

HELP! Need new HH gas--Mapp no longer available

Sorry to add another thread, but I am struggling to figure out the options with my Hot Head now that Mapp gas is not available. (I tried Mapp-Pro and do not like it. It burns the glass. :cry:) I am working in an extra bedroom in my home. So far, I have only used the two windows in the room for ventalation.

Do I have any options for gas that can be used indoors? (I prefer not to put a hole in the house.)

From what I read, propane needs to be outside. What about propylene? Does the size of the tank make a difference? The smallest one I have found is 4#.

Also, I read somewhere that propylene and Mapp-Pro are the same thing. Will I have burnt beads again if I switch to propylene? :-k

Any help would be appreciated! :biggrin:

lunamoonshadow 2008-10-22 6:04am

Mapp should have been OUTSIDE if you were using anything larger than the 1 pound disposable tanks. ANY fuel shouldn't be "inside your house" if it's in a tank larger than 1 pound tanks. You *can* run the detachable hoses through the window. That's what a lot of folks do. Just detach & drain your hoses after each torching session.

Propane works just fine with a hothead. Regular old BBQ tank--cheap, easy & available just about anywhere. Anytime you switch fuels the "sweet spot" in the flame changes & there is a period of adjustment to find "where" the sweet spot is for the particular fuel & torch. It's not the "fuel" or the "torch", it's the user & a bit of PPP to get used to what you're using.

A bigger problem I see there is that you have NO VENTILATION other than "open windows"--AT LEAST GET SOME FANS--you should have AT LEAST a couple big fans--one set on "exhaust" in the window directly in front of the torch sucking fumes AWAY from you (and do an incense test to be sure it *is* taking everything away from you!) and another fan (and window!) somewhere BEHIND you to push fresh air AT you to provide "make up" air for what the exhaust fan is taking out of the room.
Better yet, read a bunch of the safety/ventilation threads in the safety forum & get yourself set up with a good quality ventilation system.
This thread is a good example of what I'm talking about ;)
http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=107568

~luna
Happily burning propane on my hothead....
(as does Nikki, & quite a few other hothead users...)

Vangy 2008-10-22 7:34am

MPS GASS

Replying only to the gas issue and not to the safety aspects --- MPS gas works great for me - more like the old MAPP, however I use both the MAPP Pro and MPS interchangably now - just needed to get use to it.

NLC Beads 2008-10-22 8:01am

When I used MAPP-Pro, I did need to turn down my flame a bit as it seems to be a touch hotter than MAPP. I typically use propane in a bulk tank (hi, Lyn!) and found if I turn the flame down and work a bit higher in the flame than with MAPP, it works nicely with no burning or scumming. At a certain point, even though there's fuel left in the tank, it's not enough pressure (or I'm impatient) so I need to switch to a full tank. I do have it outside, but the hole in the house is minimal as it's just enough to snake a hose through.

Ventilation would be a strong improvement, but make sure you're not pointing the fan so it moves your flame and burns you.

Moth 2008-10-22 10:29am

I used bulk propane with my hothead for almost 3 years and loved it. I had a 20# tank of it outside and just ran the flexible hose through the doorway while I was torching, disconnected it when I wasn't.

glasswinder 2008-10-22 11:51am

I used propylene for about a year before I hooked up to natural gas. It was great. I used it with a minor burner...I should think it would be ok with a hh too.

Reenie 2008-10-23 12:26am

I've used both propyylene and MAPP gas. The propylene is the same thing. "Brazing Fuel" I think it's called. You'll be fine with that and it's a little hotter than propane but propane works fine too!

prayer bedes 2008-10-30 1:58pm

Thnaks for the info.!

Thank you all for the information. (By the way, I do use fans and have only used 1 lb. canisters of Mapp.) Keeping the tank outside the window sounds like a good first step. I will let you know how it goes. O:)

BeadBlossoms 2008-10-30 3:27pm

I just bought regular MAPP gas at Harbour Freight the other day. Getting ready to set up my hot head, but I am more confused than ever. I've read all 13 pages of the propane safety thread and am still confused. I know it's not optimum, but is it ok to use the little 1 pund tanks inside with a hot head if I open the window, use a fan, and put my whole house ventilation system on? I'm brand new, and want to try it out before invensting a ton of money on a permanent set up. Some people have told me it's fine, others say no. It's freezing here in CT, and trust me, working in the garage or outside is not an option.
Now I'm too scared to set it up!

Dale M. 2008-10-30 6:39pm

IT is ok and legal to store and use up to 2 ONE POUND cylinders a propane/fule gas in side your residence.........

This is NFPA code ruling and accepted as most state and local codes also...

Dale