Lampwork Etc.

Lampwork Etc. (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/index.php)
-   Free Tutorials (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=77)
-   -   FREE TUTORIAL - Fire Opals (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=169464)

Amy's Artisan Beads 2010-07-22 8:39pm

Thanks for sharing how to make your beautiful opals Amber, this is so generous of you.:love:

Inky 2010-07-23 6:56am

Amber, Thank you so much for this, you are always so helpful. I would buy a Hot Head Tutorial form you in a heartbeat, you do amazing work.

Vicki B. 2010-07-23 7:08am

results

Just started an "Amber's opal tut" thread in the Gallery:

First of all - thanks to Amber (aka Naos) for posting a FREE tut in the library tutorials section. It was mentioned in the thread that it might be nice to have a thread of results. I hope there isn't another one already...

I had a lot of fun experimenting with the tut yesterday, and am really looking forward to a promised tut that Amber is working on relating to Hot Head methods.

Since I use a Hot Head (on 1 lb canisters of Mapp), I was particularly interested in this tut and made the first few beads just as the tut says - no special reduction and using Ekho (right side of photo). They did not seem to be developing any irridescence (3 Ekho beads on the right and first 2 Clio beads on the right), so I tried the same thing with Clio - same deal with a touch of irridescence. So I pm'd Amber to see if she reduces at all before encasing, and she answered "no" (thanks again!)

But thinking that somehow there's not as much gas in my flame - maybe the Mapp or the distance I work from the flame or how low I have my torch turned or the alignment of the moon with the planets or.....I decided to reduce slightly. I do this with my hot head by wafting the bead in a quick turn through the very base (blue area ) of the flame. I didn't close off any holes with foil etc the way I do when I really want to reduce. This brought about the irridescence and I'm pleased with the results. I really liked the Clio so there are more reduced ones of that glass on the left. On the far right there's one bead with some dabs of teal on top of the Ekho. This has some possibilities I'd like to explore further as well.

*Naos* 2010-07-23 7:18am

YAY! I commented in the thread (the beads are gorgeous) - but thanks for adding some more tips, Vicki! I haven't used MAPP in years.

sierracatzlampwork 2010-07-23 9:20am

Thank you so much Amber for posting this free tutorial...I have always admired your beads and your willingness to share your info. When I was new to LE several years ago I had questions about silver wire and you very willingly shared your info with a "newbie" via email..I very much appreciated your generosity and by your example, I have tried to do the same for other new lampworkers that come to me for info..

Thanks again

JanithS 2010-07-23 9:33am

Please post videos on YouTube just to make sure that we're twirling in the right direction.

Thanks Amber...great tutorial

*Naos* 2010-07-23 10:43am

The results are coming in! Check out this thread in the gallery:

http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=169599

J. Savina 2010-07-23 4:15pm

Thank you for sharing this tut Amber!!! I think that Ekho is one of the few glass colors from DH that I don't have. But not for long.:-)

J.

LyndaW 2010-07-23 8:24pm

I have had my Ekho for months and been afraid to try it. Just made my first bead and it is awesome!! THANK YOU so much!!

Judith Billig 2010-07-23 10:59pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by theglasszone (Post 3130575)
Drats!!! Just checked my stash and NO "Ekho" nor "Clio" :( I do have some Aion 2...any idea what happens with this color? I'm gonna try it anyway and see what happens. They will probably be light on the color side, but hoping to have SOME sort of cool reaction!

Who's tried this Tutorial so far? Anyone starting up a Gallery "Show Your Results of Amber's Fire Opal Tutorial" Thread yet? I can't wait to see 'em come flowing in... :)

DeAnne, you can also try Aurae. If you have a look in the "Fire Opal" Gallery thread, I posted a couple of beads with silver colors that are not Clio or Ekho.

J&M 2010-07-24 8:34am

Thank you for your tut Amber... very good and so kind of you.

Jack

asimeral 2010-07-24 1:45pm

This is one of my fav beads of yours! Thanks so much for sharing the technique! :)

Beadbug 2010-07-24 6:36pm

I just love these beads and will be trying it tomorrow. Thanks so much for sharing.

truegem 2010-07-24 7:08pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by clan tabby (Post 3129843)
ah, yes, and stick your tongue out at the right angle, squint your eyes just right, & only breathe shallowly through one nostril. Ok, gotcha.

omg lol!!! Love this!!!

truegem 2010-07-24 7:09pm

Thanks Amber...can't wait to try. I had everything right when I was trying to figure out what you did....except for the Ekho. I thought it was Clio. Thanks for sharing the secret. =)

Birdy 2010-07-25 1:23am

Thanks so much for your generous sharing, Amber.

Birdy

LunaMoth 2010-07-26 12:45am

Thanks so much Amber, as soon as I'm feeling better, I'll try this!! kg Patrice

GiGiC 2010-07-26 12:54pm

Thanks so much for sharing this with us. It is such a great idea and such beautiful beads. My bead making friends and I got together yesterday and had a blast! All with wonderful results.

*Naos* 2010-07-26 1:29pm

You're welcome! :D :love:

sharon*johnson*designs 2010-07-26 3:50pm

Wow, Amber, those beads are GORGEOUS! Thanks for sharing how you make them!

HONEYBUNNY72_99 2010-07-27 1:01pm

Going to try this as soon as I get some silver foil!

glassygear 2010-07-28 3:10am

Thanks Amber, I will be trying this, but with leaf. (Fingers crossed, but not while I'm making the bead!).

asimeral 2010-07-28 7:58am

I tried this out yesterday and made a big 'ole 1-1/2" lentil. I can't wait to open my kiln this morning.

Ness 2010-07-29 11:56am

How lovely and so generous of you to share your knowledge, those beads are wonderful!
Now I just need some Ekho or Clio. ( any excuse!) ;) I can try Aurae next time I get to my torch

Thank you, Amber.

mdimatteo 2010-07-29 12:47pm

Amber is always so generous with her knowledge. Quite a while ago she gave me the secret to getting that wonderful sprinkling of silver on beads. Thanks again Amber, it's still one of my favorite techniques.

tammydownunder 2010-07-29 3:36pm

1 Attachment(s)
Thank you so much for this tutorial. Your generosity in doing this shows what all of us should try to measure up to. This is a way better explanation that some of the for purchase tutorials that are out there and the possibilities are endless. Thank you again.

Even though I melted in the ekho AND reduced it, I am still very pleased with the results. (It always said on my report card, "does not follow directions")

*Naos* 2010-07-29 4:00pm

Tammy - they're beautiful! I really like the blues and greens you got!

If anything, I was hoping people would play with the glass more and I've learned a lot, too - There are different base glasses to use that I would've never thought of, plus more silver glass that can produce the opal effect - it's great! :D

Troll Lover 2010-07-31 3:26pm

Oh Amber, how cool of you to share this :D! I will surely try to play with it this week!

Lea Zinke 2010-07-31 3:30pm

Hey Amber, still having fun with the opals!!! Think one of these has your name on it though...............................:-\"

Prolly need your address!:-\"

Judith Billig 2010-07-31 3:37pm

Lea, these are so fabulous!
Really love the first one, because you got such a different effect!